Anyone with a child who had to have their frenulum cut/released? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-22-2003, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poor ds!

The speech therapist feels certain that the cause of his speech delay is that his frenulum is too tight/short.

Dh and I have always wondered about it. He has never been able to stick his tongue out very much and when he does, rather than coming out to a point like a normal tongue, his tongue is scalloped looking. Also, by the end of a meal, he begins to hold food in his mouth and having a delayed swallow. She said that by the end of a meal his mouth muscles are so fatigued by having to manipulate the food a certain way, that it causes the delay.

Also, at speech therapy on Monday, she put a dab of pudding on his upper lip, and he was unable to lick it off. And I've never ever seen him lick his lips.

So, we go to see a pediatric ENT on the 29th.

I know it's a small and quick proceedure, but I'm terrified for him. He will have to be put to sleep, although only with mask anesthesia. I'm afraid he will be traumatized. He's such a sensitive guy. Dh is a physician and did his residency in the hospital where the proceedure will take place and so hopefully they will let us go into the OR with him and be in the recovery room when he wakes up. Actually, I will INSIST on this.

I don't want to do it unless it's absolutely necessary, but the speech therapist doesn't think he will acquire any new sounds until he has full movement of his tongue. He's doing GREAT with the sounds he can make. He's added SO many new words in the last month or so, but I've yet to hear him make so many sounds. I think she is right, but I'm scared too.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How do the kids react? What is the recovery time? Any other advice would be appreciated.

lisa

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#2 of 8 Old 08-25-2003, 12:48 AM

lisa, I don't have any experience with this, though my heart goes out to you.

I was curious if this affected his ability to nurse. I remember reading about that in a breastfeeding book. Anyways, you might ask in the Breastfeeding forum if anyone had a child with a tight frenulum...?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 8 Old 08-28-2003, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Piglet, suprisingly, no. I don't think it caused any problems with nursing. (that's not to say we didn't have troubles, we had plenty, I just don't think they were caused by the frenulum.)

Our dr's appt is tomorrow at 3:50. Thanks for thinking of us and keep your fingers crossed.

lisa

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#4 of 8 Old 08-28-2003, 11:09 PM

My dh had this done when he was about 4-5 years old at the dentists office! He had a lisp and even though it was clipped, he did have some speech therapy while in elementary school. Still to this day, when he gets tired, he will lisp.

Also, a friend of mines ds who is about the same age as your ds (born 1/29/02) was tongue tied. She did have difficulty nursing him because he would get so tired at the beginning. Anyways, this past Jan., he had it clipped at the local childrens hospital and did great! He was put under and it was very quick. His tongue is still heart shaped and they said that it would take while for the muscle/frenlum to relax. She also said that she didn't notice his nursing still changing afterwards.

Good luck~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#5 of 8 Old 10-07-2003, 10:11 AM

My dd is almost 5 weeks old and we had it done when she was 2 weeks old. I was terrified to get it done, but after doing some reading and talking with health professionals, we decided to get it done. It took less than a minute and she cried for about 2 seconds. I nursed her immediately after and she was fine.

Good luck

Emma
#6 of 8 Old 10-08-2003, 10:46 AM

My eldest boy had it done at 1.5 months of age. He had a bad case and needed to have it done in the hospital under general. I was so scared also. Mainly because they said I could not feed him 12 hours before hand. Seeing that he was eating every two hours I could not see that happening. Due to his tongue tie he was unable to latch at all and that is how we noticed it. The procedure was quick and he latched on proper right away. It was amazing! And I have heard and read a lot about speech problems with tongue time children that have not had it clipped. It's a mild procedure for the benefit it will produce.

Glad to hear that you have it in with the hospital. All are different. The one that we took ds to for this did not allow us into the operating room but did bring us into recovery. He had surgery again at age of 1 for something else and different hospital and they allowed me to carry him into the operating room and hold him while they put him under. Then I laid him down on the table and had to leave. A few minutes later he was in recovery.

Your doing a great with your child!

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#7 of 8 Old 10-09-2003, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shanetedissac
... they said I could not feed him 12 hours before hand.

T

This type of stuff makes me SO MAD!!!!

The reason they forbid eating prior to anaesthesia is in the rare case that the patient vomits under anaesthesia, it's to prevent any food from getting into the lungs (aspiration). For a 1.5 month old baby who is breastfed, it would only be necessary to withhold food for about 3 or 4 hours at the very most. What they asked you to do was bordering on dangerous for your baby. It really irks me when people are more concerned about the "rule" than why the rule is there in the first place. Twelve hours is for ADULTS!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#8 of 8 Old 10-09-2003, 09:31 AM

You understand how utterly frightened I was with this request.
And to think this was my first child. I've learned so much since then (6 years ago).

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page