diapers for big kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-05-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you use for your big kid? My dd is 8 and uses a wheelchair. We need something really absorbant. I have been using cloth but its gotten to the point that I have to stuff so much her bottom is huge. Good nights are not enough, she leaks through almost immediately.

Does anyone use specialty disposables? If so, which ones? Its hard to find b/c the adult products are too big and the baby products too small. I found a company, tranquility, but dont know anything about it.

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#2 of 7 Old 01-05-2008, 01:42 PM

ds is still using baby diapers, but i found this site on a quick search. http://www.adaptivechild.com/index.a...TS&Category=74
#3 of 7 Old 01-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Ok

Have you tried hemp? In the "overnight solutions for heavy wetters" type posts, I know one solution was to wrap microfiber towels around hemp b/c the microfiber allowed a quick absorbtion, but the hemp provided more actual holding power (especially if well stripped). Another thought would be to layer some doublers, to minimize the overall bulk (so it would look sort of triangular).

Wtih disposibles: another solution, re: leaking, might be to put wool pants (cover/shorts/long and/or knitted or fabric) or fleece (same various options) over the disposible. That might be able to help contain the leak. Aristocrats come that large.
#4 of 7 Old 01-05-2008, 03:50 PM

ugh, it seems like there are very few options. At night, cause he's tubefed, Linden pees through everything. his bed right now is made up like this: waterproof sheet, sheet, waterproof sheet, sheet, waterproof sheet, sheet, sheet saver, wool blanket, lambskin. So at least that way all we have to do it take away a layer and it's all ready to go. But I am so tired of the whole peeing through thing. definitely let us know if you find a solution to peeing through!
#5 of 7 Old 01-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned

Those Tranquility diapers are EXCELLENT!!! I havne't used them on my daughers, because they can fit into Pull-Ups easily, but I used them myself for quite a while before I switched medical insurance due to a neurogenic bladder and bowels.

They are a bit thicker than other adult-type diapers, but they have some features that are unique to that brand:
They actually reduce rashes by reducing the urine ph level after your child pees in the diaper.
They have a nice wetness indicator that allows you to use the diaper longer than most others (you don't change until the wetness indicator is 3/4 of the way a different color: they call this a Komfort Monitor).
They have leak guards, so nothing escapes the diaper, even if they pee quite a bit. Their peach core also keeps wetness completely away from your skin.
They have dual refastenable tape tabs, so you don't tear the diaper trying to readjust it.
They don't have a elastic waistband, so air can circulate to the person's bottom.
This company also makes youth sized diapers for kids who are too big for adult sizes, but too small for baby/toddler sizes. They also make a diapers just for nighttime called ATN Briefs.

Another diaper company you might look into is TENA. They have youth sized diapers that have similar features as the Tranquility ones, but the outer cover is cloth-like instead of plastic.
If you go to Tranquility's website (I'll look up the site and post it here for you), they can send you free samples to try out. Also, www.hdis.com has sample packs of youth diapers you can try out and sells the diapers by the case.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 4 years: and Angela, 2 1/2 years)
::::selectivev ax::
#6 of 7 Old 01-10-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa70 View Post
What do you use for your big kid? My dd is 8 and uses a wheelchair. We need something really absorbant. I have been using cloth but its gotten to the point that I have to stuff so much her bottom is huge. Good nights are not enough, she leaks through almost immediately.

Does anyone use specialty disposables? If so, which ones? Its hard to find b/c the adult products are too big and the baby products too small. I found a company, tranquility, but dont know anything about it.
My ds is a size 7 in clothes and we use Tranquility Slim Line diapers after a whole lot of experimentation. He wears a size small. We also stuff them with a Poise pad for extra absorbancy.
#7 of 7 Old 01-10-2008, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responces everyone!

We ordered a bunch of samples from tranquility and they came a couple days ago. So far none of their pull up type products work, they gap at the legs and leave Celeste in a puddle But the slimline diapers and the all through the nights seem to work great, so I am hopeful!

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page