Ok I think we need an adult sensory thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 225 Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I was just weird till I started doing research because of DS.
I cant handle
Loud noise
Repetitive noise

turtle necks
make-up its suffocating
shoes for long periods of time

I have others but those are the worst
#62 of 225 Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Okay, I have two more to share, that are a bit oddball.

I pull on my hair -- I used to think it was anxiety-related, but now I think it might be sensory. I have some fine hairs and some course/curly ones, and the only ones that "appeal" to me are the course ones. It's weird, I know. I just run them through my fingers, and comb through my hair with my fingers to find them. I do it when I'm tired or kind of zoning out.

And, I don't know what this is, but for as long as I can remember, I have this habit of "writing" out words with my index finger on my thumb. As if the line that forms the knuckle is a line from paper and then I just write words that I hear in conversation or on TV or whatever on my thumb. I'm not even aware that I'm doing it most of the time. I have no idea if it's sensory-related or not, but from what I've read about stimming, it seems like it's kind of that. Any thoughts?
#63 of 225 Old 01-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis337 View Post
NO, but I can "see" the words sometimes. I dont' spell anything, but I see the words like on closed captioning as I'm listening to a conversation. Makes it hard to concentrate.
Me too! and I do the ticker tape thing! And I type words in my head.

My mother does it with numbers. Somehow, all words come out to 4.

Let's take the word 'Sensory' and see what happens.

Sensory
S-E-N-S-O-R-Y
7 letters. 7.
S-E-V-E-N
5 letters. 5.
F-I-V-E
4 letters. 4.
F-O-U-R
4 letters. 4.

etc.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#64 of 225 Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 PM

I sit and make little T-T-T noises with my tongue, the S sound, and pop teeny tiny bubble on the tip of my tongue. Someone once thought I was whispering. :

Oh my. I just realized I flap. : :

I need to have sharp pressure underneath my finger nails and toenails of the 3rd digits ONLY. I press my thumbnails in there or press the toes under the edge of the coffee table.

Concrete is FABULOUS for scratching the bottom of my feet.

The texture of York peppermint Patties is wonderful. The minty-ness is great, too. Other brands are not the same. The thinner, big patties are better than the small ones in the bags.

I pick. My brother used to let me get his zits. Now he lets his wife.

I need firm pressure, being squished and tucked into bed feels good to me. DH likes to do light touch which I can not stand. I keep reminding him that I need pressure. He tries. I also don't like soft kisses on my cheeks but I do like them on my forehead. And I can't stand kissing his puckered lips -- they need to be regular.

I LOVE getting adjusted at the chiropractor. I like the cracking sound and I LOVE getting my neck adjusted, especially.

I LOVE lifting weights, dead lifts, and squats. I also love running. I often change pace faster than the treadmill buttons respond, which bugs me, so I have to try and work with the machine or run outside.

I mash my lips between my teeth then scratch my top lip w/ my teeth. The center only.

I like to make kissy noises when kissing the baby.

I have to wiggle something all the time. The lexapro helps with my anxiety, but I still wiggle. It's just not as bad. And it quiets my ticker tape, constant conversation, and steady white-noise in my head. I really am glad for that because my head is quieter now.

I HATE light touch (as mentioned previously). DH thinks he's being romantic, I want to come out of my skin.

Being tickled feels like torture to me. It makes me cry.

Nothing around my neck. No turtlenecks. Bed sheets have to be around my neck, though, no matter the temp. (We live in TX!) Feet must be under the blankets, too.

The bed has to be made with exact lengths of sheet and blanket draped over each side. I can feel if it's uneven. Also, it must be hospital corners.

I can eyeball the center of things, like centering a frame on the wall or a piece of furniture. My brother (the one that likes to be picked) is the same way.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#65 of 225 Old 01-08-2008, 09:28 PM

Some of these are so oddly familiar.

The feet thing. I can't put anything on my feet, unless I get really into a pair of shoes and insist on wearing them, sock-less, everywhere for days. This often happens with clogs or new Vans. My feet have to be out of the blankets, no matter how cold it is. Other people's feet are horrible, and if someone touches me with their feet I lose it. I also don't like socks. I have serious issues with feet in the bed. Somehow, the baby's feet don't bother me, but they will begin to when he's around 16 months old or so.

Impact. I throw my whole body into walls when no one is home. I used to do aikido, and loved falling.

I build a little screen around my own place when I'm eating, so that I don't have to look at everyone else's food. If I can hear it, it's a problem. If I'm not eating, don't eat around me. I also don't go places where there are eating people, except for restaurants, because that's expected. But if someone eats on the subway, it's really not OK. No eating in my car. No candy with artificial fruit flavors EVER; something about the way they smell just sets me off.

There are many more. Let's see: none of what I still (from childhood) think of as The White Foods are allowed to be near me--this is mayonaise, sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese, I really cannot type this and will now scroll so I don't have to see it.

OK. Yeah. Don't like those.

I really don't like the sound of babies crying. Luckily, neither of mine did or do--Charlotte laughed really loudly and then YELLED when she didn't get what she wanted, but she didn't do much of that baby-crying-noise. Nico just doesn't cry at all.

Other sensory things: rubbing carpet. I love rubbing the carpet. In public I get a similar charge out of folding cloth over so that two peices are rubbing together and then rubbing them really fast.

I don't like the phone. At all.

Ooops, have to go nurse now...
#66 of 225 Old 01-08-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Avoidance:
eating noises, lips smacking (this includes kissy noises), chewing, slurping, even crunching

Repetitve noises, small sharp noises, dripping water noises, soft noises when it is quiet (right now there is a strip of rubber flapping on our screen and I can't stand it. Wait, I'm gonna deal with it. (....) Ahhh! All better!)
High-pitched sounds that most people cannot hear. This one gets me crazy points with a lot of people until I do something like find a camera that has not had its flash attachment turned off - at the other end of a house full of people - just to turn it off. This includes CRT monitors (I can hear if they have power, whenther they are displaying anything or not), CRT televisions, camera flash attachments,
Rough or scratchy clothing, tags, lace, synthetic fabrics.
Soft music and speech also bothers me. I can hear it just fine, but it makes me feel hyperaware and panicky.

anything that makes me itchy, including not bathing often enough or too often (it's a delicate balance - in summer it's every day or twice a day, in winter it can't be more than every four or so days or I get itchier). I get really moody when I'm itchy.

Seeking:

Biting the inside of my cheek. I've developed "wings" on my inner cheeks from doing this.
Yep to all of those. I also hate to wear cardigan type sweaters; coats; close fitting turtlenecks; long sleeve shirts that are tigher/tapered at the wrist; tight waistbands; tights socks (on my ankles or calf); glasses; snug shoes.

Can't stand smells/scents. Hate stinky candles and air fresheners. I like a non smelling environment. Natural fresh air smell is good.

Hate crowds. Don't like lots of people talking at once. Can't stand whispering.

Don't like even seeing repetitive things (like if I see someone giggling their leg even though it doesn't make a noise and I'm not near it.)

Whining makes my ears bleed.

Loud laughing grates on my nerves. Even if I laugh too loud, I cringe. LOL.

Wow, no wonder my ds has so many sensory issues.

I know I have lots more.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#67 of 225 Old 01-09-2008, 03:08 AM

Adding more:

Eating. DH eats w/ his mouth open. I want to smack him in the face when he does that. It's so LOUD! The sound drives me nuts. I yell at him to chew w/ his mouth closed. I don't even know if the kids eat w/ their mouths closed.

And the crunch of grapes irritates my ears like nothing else. I will not eat them because of the crunch. YES, grapes crunch! I hate it! Other foods can crunch, however, and it doesn't bother me.

I like the tops of broccoli. I eat the stems because it's expected but I much prefer the tops.

I prefer ankle socks. As a kid my mom used to buy me acrylic knit knee socks that I despised because they always fell down. And they itched. I would go to the bathroom and pull them back up and they'd only fall down again. It frustrated me so badly!!! My dd also only wears ankle socks. DS, however, will only wear calf-length socks.

I will not patch the knees of my kids jeans. If there's a hole in the knee I throw them out. The knee patches I had in my pants as a kid were scratchy.

I hate the sensation of yarn in teeth. Do not ask me how I know this. Just believe me. Acrylic is the worst.

Wool is itchy and hurts, but the baby wears wool longies or covers. I suffer with it because they're cute.

Tonight we were in church. I realized that kids are very loud even when they just sit there. Something about them is magnified. And I heard water running through pipes even though the room I was in had no water anywhere near it.

#68 of 225 Old 01-09-2008, 03:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Wow, no wonder my ds has so many sensory issues.
I think this observation is the real value of this thread! We are all discovering that things we may have only thought of as weird quirks we had to live with might be related to how our LOs are.

I'm hoping that my awareness of this for myself will help me be a better parent to my boys. It's one of my mom's biggest shortcomings as a parent that she still sees my quirks as things I can control, or just oversensitivities ... even when I can clearly see that she has her own behaviors (and so does my stepdad - I'm fairly sure he's a "highly social" spectrum person). But I attribute that blindness to their generation and the view of SN people that they were raised with.

Anyway, I think that if we recognize how we cope with our sensory issues, we can use our knowledge of ourselves to teach our kids tools for their own lives.

Maura
#69 of 225 Old 01-09-2008, 03:59 AM

I didn't even realize some of my "quirks" were sensory issues until the past two years - when exploring DS' SPD stuff.

My biggest: I cannot STAND those commercials (or any images in general) where there is a distorted visual - hmmmm, like I think there was one where someone's nose got REALLY big (just the nose) because they had a cold or something. Made me want to shriek! Or like, years ago the buses in our city had an image of a basketball player and his arm (but JUST his arm) was almost as long as the bus - I think it was to encourage people to put litter in a trash can - but I had to look away every time (my buds would always have a good laugh about this).

Also, I can't listen to the sound of the tv. It makes me feel ill. DH and I rarely watch tv, and watch the news with the sound off (easy enough to figure out what's going on). This might explain my one guilty pleasure however - Korean soap operas (on public tv) complete with subtitles. And thank goodness that DVD players have the subtitle feature!

I actually love socks - especially knee socks - with the exception of warm/summer months. Oh, and I also love turtlenecks and scarves - I love for my neck to be covered tightly.

Going on a down escalator, I HAVE to be on the left hand side and holding on. If at all possible I'll take stairs or elevator. I just about died when visiting Washington D.C. (try taking THOSE escalators for the Metro! ha!)

I almost always have a mini "mommy meltdown" after going to Target or IKEA. Ugh!

Thank goodness, other people like me with the food eating sound aversion! When it's pasta night DH is particularly awful - I just glare at him across the table 'til he "gets" it.

Plenty more, but if there is a genetic component to sensory issues, it explains a lot of DS' sensory stuff.
#70 of 225 Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 PM

I am afraid of riding on escalators. Its less a sensory thing and more a bad childhood memory.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#71 of 225 Old 01-09-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'm also very claustrophobic. I can not sleep in a sleeping bag that's zipped at all. I also haven't slept with a top sheet since I can't stand that trapped feeling. When we go to a hotel I have to untuck the entire bed otherwise I toss and turn all night.

I also have water issues. I guess I just don't like deep pressure. I went to the pool a few days ago and had a mini panic attack just when I put the goggles on. They felt so binding I couldn't take it. Ugh! I'm trying really hard to get over my water aversion. Part of it is that I hate water on my face and I hate holding my breath. Yeah, it's gonna be easy

I love this thread! It just shows us how WE have learned to deal with our issues so our kids will too!
#72 of 225 Old 01-09-2008, 01:20 PM

I have more.

I am near-sighted, but I hate wearing glasses AND contacts. I tried and tried to adjust to contacts out of vanity, but I can't distract myself from feeling those THINGS in my eyes. Ugh. Anyway, I walk around semi-blind 80% of the time, only wearing my glasses to drive, watch movies, etc. This can be embarrassing as I often do not recognize people at a distance.

I also do not like seeing people do repetitive things, like foot-jiggling.

I can't stand to rip a tissue or a paper towel or even to be around someone doing it. I also can't stand to take cotton balls out of medicine bottles.

Nursing was hard for me at first. I had to put socks over DD's hands so as not to have those teeny fingernails scritching at me.

When I am tired and stressed I like to pull my arms all the way out of my shirt sleeves and keep them inside my shirt. I don't do this one when DH is around because it really kind of freaks him out. It does look weird.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#73 of 225 Old 01-09-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
When I am tired and stressed I like to pull my arms all the way out of my shirt sleeves and keep them inside my shirt. I don't do this one when DH is around because it really kind of freaks him out. It does look weird.
I did this as a child!

My dad can't stand cotton balls in med bottles, either.

#74 of 225 Old 01-11-2008, 11:19 PM

I just realized some more for myself.

The taste and texture of bananas is revolting to me. Texture of mashed potatoes is nasty, too. *shudder*

DS1 and I both need heavy pressure. I gave him a squeeze today and asked him if he liked it. He said he did, so then I gave him a nice big bear hug. And of course, dd wanted one, too, so she got one.

OH! Can't handle winter hats on my head. Neither can dd, as I discovered this morning. They're itchy even in the parts that aren't touched by the yarn.

#75 of 225 Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 PM

Aversions:

Texture of slimy foods, like cooked mushrooms.

Sleeping without a heavy comforter or blanket (even in the heat of summer).

Tight clothing, turtlenecks, nylons, and anything not loose and cotton.

Any shoes except too-large sneakers.

Skin touching skin while sleeping.

Make-up or any kind of cream on my face.

Jewelry of any sort.

Loud, sudden noises; fireworks.

Sun while driving (always keep the visor down even when cloudy).

Fingernails that have any white showing (must be kept very short).

Swinging for hours.

Bouncing in circles on the tramp while listening to music.

People that click when they talk or read aloud.

Picking everything on my skin.

Immersion in warm water.

Deep pressure.

Rollercoasters/free fall/reverse free fall
#76 of 225 Old 01-12-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
Aversions:
Fingernails that have any white showing (must be kept very short).
Speaking of fingernails, I can't stand mine long, either, unless they've been manicured with fake nails. (I eventually ALWAYS pick the nails off!) Those are a lot of money so I tend to just clip my nails very short like yours (though I don't mind a tiny line of white) and then I MUST file them. They hurt and itch my hands if they're not filed. Even if the nails don't touch my hands. They itch and hurt, like extremely dry skin.

Quote:
People that click when they talk or read aloud.
Explain?

#77 of 225 Old 01-12-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauncourt View Post
High-pitched sounds that most people cannot hear. This one gets me crazy points with a lot of people until I do something like find a camera that has not had its flash attachment turned off - at the other end of a house full of people - just to turn it off. This includes CRT monitors (I can hear if they have power, whenther they are displaying anything or not), CRT televisions, camera flash attachments, deer repellers (that mount on cars), dog whistles, those noisemakers used to repel pests and now teenagers (I HATE walking into a store that has one installed). LCDs make a noise too, but it's not the same kind, more of a soft hum, not a squeal. I'm so glad they eixst now.
Maura
OMG - I thought I was the only one with this problem! Everybody thinks I'm crazy. I've experienced a nasty high-pitched tone when certain helicopters go overhead. I've only heard this maybe 3 times. First I hear the tone (and wonder "WHAT is that?"), then I hear the helicopter sound with the tone. DH can't hear it.

I can also feel e-mag radiation with my fingers, easily at 5 milligauss or more. I can feel when a radio is transmitting, especially when feeling around the antenna area. Cell phones...they are small radios...they put out some very strong signals. I don't keep one on near my body.

Hair touching my neck. I've got to have either short hair or long hair past my shoulders (most of the time pulled back in a ponytail.)

Anything else touching my neck, including jewelry or certain shirt necks.

My socks not being on "just right". (I drove my mom nuts when I was a toddler because I always had "a wrinkle in my sock")

Sensory seeker with soft & silky fabrics. I literally wore a hole in the satin edging of my baby blanket.

I get visually overloaded....then apparently my brain just cuts out large portions of what I should be seeing. I never even realized this until I tried to drive in the city once. Now I don't even try.

Did any of you get made fun of because of your sensitivities? I always did... by my own family. I had no idea I had "sensory issues" until I was trying to figure out what was going on with DS.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#78 of 225 Old 01-12-2008, 12:43 AM

the dentist! i figured out this when i took ds to the dentist and he got his molar crowns, i went to kiss him and had to force myself not to freak out because he smelled like a dentist.

I realised i have deep sensory issues with the dentist, which is why i am such a white knuckle patient!
#79 of 225 Old 01-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Explain?
(re people that click)

I don't know if this is what she meant, but my older sister softly "clicks" her tongue CONSTANTLY. As in all the time. It's about the only thing about her I can't stand, and it is completely unconscious. She had no idea she even did it until I played back a recording. I think it's a stim for her.

She genuinely cannot help it, so I deal with it by wearing earplugs or asking her to play music when we around each other.

maura
#80 of 225 Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 AM

im a tounge clicker :
#81 of 225 Old 01-12-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individuation View Post
I used to do aikido, and loved falling.
Ah yes being the Uke is lovely when Nage counters with a throw
#82 of 225 Old 01-12-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Explain?
Its hard to explain. Something about a certain sound of click feels really good to me. There is an episode of Star Trek, The Next Generation in which Riker and a couple other crew members are being abducted by aliens and taken to a room where medical experiments are performed on them. The aliens in the room move around clicking instruments together or something. Anyway, I recorded the audio for that small segment and looped it together and would listen to it for hours. It makes tingles down my spine. There's some way that SOME people sometimes talk, particularly when they are reading slowly, that has the same effect, especially if there are a lot of "p" sounds in the words or the person has a kind of click with their tongue. When I was a child in school, during reading time, I would always fall asleep in my chair when a certain child would read because it was SO soothing and mesmerizing the way she clicked and pronounced her P's.
#83 of 225 Old 01-12-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauncourt View Post
(re people that click)

I don't know if this is what she meant, but my older sister softly "clicks" her tongue CONSTANTLY. As in all the time. It's about the only thing about her I can't stand, and it is completely unconscious. She had no idea she even did it until I played back a recording. I think it's a stim for her.

She genuinely cannot help it, so I deal with it by wearing earplugs or asking her to play music when we around each other.

maura
OH! Like my making my little t-t-t-t noises! Ok. Sorry.

#84 of 225 Old 01-12-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
There's some way that SOME people sometimes talk, particularly when they are reading slowly, that has the same effect, especially if there are a lot of "p" sounds in the words or the person has a kind of click with their tongue.
That is interesting.

I've been more aware of other ppl's sensory stuff lately. A friend of ours doesn't like eating out because it's too crowded and he isn't into seeing other ppl eat. (I guess similar to Individuation's aversion.) It's very interesting to realize the different likes and dislikes.

#85 of 225 Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
OH! Like my making my little t-t-t-t noises! Ok. Sorry.
It's okay. I know it's a stim for her (even if she doesn't!) and I can deal with it. I also have that lovely aversion to repetitive motions in the periphery of my visual field (I feel like I'm being visually tickled, if that makes any sense?), and DH is a knee-jiggler and a rocker (and he DOES know it's stimming - he says it keeps him from freaking out when he has to sit still. He's ADHD, never medicated, as well as dyslexic, and figured out coping strategies on his own. Hmmm.). I deal with it by turning away or looking directly at it. He knows this and doesn't get offended.

I figure if it's between something I can't control and something (figurative you) can't control, we need to work out a middle gorund - like music in the background or allowing me to turn away.

Maura
#86 of 225 Old 01-12-2008, 10:32 PM

MY dad jiggles his leg constantly. I can't take the constant motion so I move.

#87 of 225 Old 01-13-2008, 12:08 AM

I'm also a picker, and I pull out eyebrow hair sometimes (apparently, that's a form of self-mutilation, or, at least, that's what my mom told me.) I can't wear turtleneck sweaters, or most other types of sweaters, either. I'm a very picky eater, which I am honestly trying to work on. I chew my nails a lot. There's quite a few more, but I'm actually trying to ignore the whole AS thing, because the more I focus on it, the more symptoms I seem to acquire, oddly enough.
#88 of 225 Old 01-13-2008, 12:45 AM

I found my family!!!!! So many of these are things I do/feel, some without even realizing it.
#89 of 225 Old 01-13-2008, 12:46 AM

welcome to our safe place
#90 of 225 Old 01-13-2008, 12:49 AM

I get overloaded by noises easily. If the tv is on, someone is talking to me, and I can hear dd on the phone talking.. I start to feel panicky. Noise levels escalate quickly in my head and I can't even think at all. I kinda get a frantic look on my face, until dh realizes and turns something off or down so that I can return to normal.

Cotton balls. I cannot stand cotton balls. I can't touch them. They sound horrible to me and send me into tears, literally.

I don't like playing with playdough, or finger paints, or making meatloaf. Anything with those textures that are messy, that I have to put my hands into I can't stand. I used to love gardening, and I still do... but I can't let my hands touch the dirt because of how it feels on my hands. It coats my hands. I feel covered. Claustrophobic.

I can't stand touching coins. The smell of them, and the feel of them give me shivers up my spine.

I really really have a hard time tolerating my 4 yo dd who wants to wrap her arms around my neck to fall asleep at night. OMG DOES THIS DRIVE ME BATTY! I really have to go into my happy place just to put up with it. The touching me is just too much.

I can't eat pears or mushrooms, though I love the taste of both. The textures I CANNOT stand. Not even a little bit.

I can't wear shirts that have any amount of spandex in them, or shirts that feel smooth to the touch like button down shirts. Stretchy shirts feel horrible to me. And cotton dress shirts make my skin crawl. I can't stand things that are close to my neck, my wrists, or my under arms.

I can't wear watches or bracelets because they rub against my wrist bone and I hate that. I don't like to wear necklaces because they rub my collar bone. I don't like rings because they make me feel trapped. I do however wear my wedding band, but it took a LONG time getting used to.

I hate underwear and I avoid them when I can. Too restrictive.

Leggings are a big NO. They are too tight against my ankles.

Lumpy socks. UGH Socks in general.

Can't wear hats because they block my view and that bothers me. Same with sunglasses.

I chew cuticles, and pick out stray hairs here and there, and eyebrow hair. I am an ex cutter, so these lesser forms are much better for me to engage in.

I rock when I'm sitting. I rock A LOT when I'm upset. As a child I rocked myself to sleep in my bed every night until I was about 12. I used to do it on my knees with my head against the bed. I also jiggle my legs, or wiggle my feet. I alternate patterns or count with the rhythm. I do this with my fingers too.

When I'm thinking, or nervous, or spacing off.. I flick my fingers against each other.

When I'm frustrated, or starting to get upset.. I rub my knuckles against my forehead repeatedly and blink tightly.

The only way I can drive is if I tune out. I pay attention, but part of me dissociates just enough so that I'm not overwhelmed with traffic and people and lights.

Sudden loud noises scare me. Even regular city noises like a truck driving by will startle me, and cause me to walk a bit faster, breathe a bit heavier, and feel scared inside.

People touching me while I'm walking up the stairs. This bothers me a lot. Dh never does it.

Being chased, even playfully. I hate it. It causes panicky feelings. The same feeling I get when I'm tickled. Loss of control.

I hate snuggling while sleeping. And I cosleep too.

I can't stand to snuggle. Not even after sex with dh. Nope. When I'm done I want to get up, get dressed, and go to sleep. LOL

I hate it when someone says, "Let me read you something." ARRRGHHHH! I can't stand people reading to me. It sounds like "blah blah blah blah" no matter how hard I try to listen, I can't process it. I have to read it myself.

I can't keep long fingernails it drives me nuts.

I can't stand the hum of things being on. The monitor, the computer, the fan, the tv. I can hear them!

I don't like water. Swimming is fine. Its bathing I hate. I seriously hate showers.

I hate sleeping bags, or anything made out of sleeping bag material!

I hate balloons.

I don't have perfect vision, but I can't wear my glasses at all because I could never get used to them.

Swallowing bothers me. Sometimes I swallow too much or too many times in a row until my brain "forgets" how to swallow.

I hate wearing my hair down. It falls over my ears and I feel trapped. Same deal with bras. I wear them when I'm out, but I feel so claustrophobic in them.

I don't like making eye contact with people. I talk to myself in order to force myself to do it, but I really really hate it. I try to get around it by looking at their mouth, or their cheek.. or anything but their eyes.

People and public make me nervous in general. I'm uncomfortable outside of my home. I feel.. raw. Exposed. Inadequate.

You know... there are probably so many more that i can't even think of right now. Wow. Its no wonder that Ivy has issues with a lot of these things!

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page