Ok I think we need an adult sensory thread - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 225 Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
OK, I have three more to add. That grinding squeaky noise you get when you open the metal spout of a large canister of salt ( gag!!!), the smell of latex and whistling. Can't stand any of those. And DS 1 loves to whistle and he is insanely loud. Drives me insane!!!!!

Ok, just reading that made me shiver. Now I can't stop thinking about it.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 225 Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does anyone have a suggestion of a good/affordable place to find comfy at-home clothes that don't look too frumpy? I can't deal with jeans because of the tightness around the hips and never wear bras inside the house anymore. I have been wearing lots of pajama type clothing but would prefer to look a little bit cuter for DH!

I've had clothing issues since I was a kid, my mom had to cut the tags out of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydaddy
bread with "stuff" in it (like nuts or wheatberries or whatever ungodly things people put in there).
I recently developed a huge aversion to this. I almost threw up in Whole Foods a few months ago because I *looked* at the free samples of cranberry bread, and I can't bring myself to even enter Panera again.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#213 of 225 Old 10-25-2008, 12:10 AM

I have sensory issues too, and have had them since I was little.

When I was little, my shoelaces had to be tied to the exact same "tightness" on both feet, otherwise I would throw a fit. I drove my mother crazy with that one. Back in the 70's girls wore dresses with sashes. They draped loosely across the waist. Mine was always tied so tight that I could barely breathe, and my dress was bunched up around it.

I can't stand the feel of wool or polarfleece against my skin. I can wear fleece over a layer, but I can't wear wool at all.
Angora makes me want to scream and tear my skin off.

I dislike the feel of any synthetic fabric (silk, polyester, nylon) so I always wear cotton shirts or sweaters.

I can't stand touching things if my hands are dry and my fingertips are cracked/rough. I can't even stand the sensation of them being dry.
Same with my lips. I am a hand lotion/chapstick addict.

Sometimes the pressure of my bra strap or a winter jacket on my shoulder makes me shrug and twitch that shoulder, I can't help it.

Walking barefoot on grass squicks me out. If the grass is wet, I will not walk on it with bare feet.

I hate it when I walk barefoot on a floor and debris sticks to the bottom of my feet. I rarely am without flip flops or slippers.

If there is any abnomality on my skin (zit, scab) I will pick it and do more damage than the original problem. I am also a hair plucker.

I also have noise aversions, loud noise, radio static, and unfortunately ds's incessant talking/noisemaking drives me nuts. Somebody else mentioned if there are too many noise sources at once (car radio, talking dh, yelling kid), that drives me absolutely over the edge too.

I'm not surprised that ds has sensory issues at all.
#214 of 225 Old 10-25-2008, 01:47 AM

Here are mine.....(although some of them are related to my OCD tendencies)

* I can no longer eat food off of metal utensils. I can only use plastic. (the zoopals utensils to be exact)

*The kids CANNOT scrape their teeth on the metal fork....or I'm pretty sure I will implode!

*I can't stack pots, pans, glass bowls, pyrex, etc. I HATE the sound!!!

*If someone scrapes their plate with a fork or knife OR if a two forks come together or get stuck together in a drawer, I FREAK. It makes me grind my teeth together (what is that about?)

* I can't stand loud noises, crowds,yelling....it just gets me all worked up.

* I am a picker! My arm is all scarred up from me finding those tiny itty bitty zits and squeezing them until SOMETHING comes out....(help me...lol)

*Tonight I was almost in sheer heaven....My dh has a massive wax build up in his ear.....I was literally so excited about it......but then he wouldnt let me do it because he said I would poke his eardrum

*I went through a tweezing my leg phase too.....but it hurt too much..LOL

Wow, didnt realize how many sensory things I have

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#215 of 225 Old 10-25-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
does anyone have a suggestion of a good/affordable place to find comfy at-home clothes that don't look too frumpy? I can't deal with jeans because of the tightness around the hips and never wear bras inside the house anymore. I have been wearing lots of pajama type clothing but would prefer to look a little bit cuter for DH!

I've had clothing issues since I was a kid, my mom had to cut the tags out of everything.

I really only like to wear cotton clothing. And I usually have to cut out the tags too. I find I wear mostly yoga type clothing around the house and sometimes out I like Danskin (at Target and Walmart), Fresh Produce (at TJ Maxx or Ebay).

As long as it's cotton (spandex is okay in it) I am happy. I can't stand synthetics with a passion. I hate to wear fleece because of the static it creates and static in my hair drives me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#216 of 225 Old 10-25-2008, 04:11 PM

Occasionally Ross or Marshall's will have cute & comfortable sports wear, as well as PP said Target. I have had luck at Walmart. Look mostly for the "sport attire" type stuff, it's usually cotton because that wicks away moisture. We usually have the most luck with soft clothes around the spring and fall, sometimes through the summer. For some reason, which I have yet to understand, everyone thinks that winter is the time for fleecy work out stuff... thick, lined sweats, etc.
#217 of 225 Old 11-21-2008, 06:26 PM

Ok, I'm bumping this thread I have tactile defensiveness problems, right now it is shaving my legs. I have tried shaving, not shaving, epilating, etc. and my legs are sooooo itchy, because I can't stand the hairs growing back. My lower legs look like I was attacked by an animal. It's bad. My dh is threatening to call my doctor. It's worse because it's winter and my dry winter skin exacerbates it. Currently I am shaving epilating once a week, but I think that is making it worse, because of the ingrowns and my picking problem I think I will go back to shaving once a week. It's like I can't stand the feeling of bumpy legs. It's fine if they were hairy all the time but it's the growing it out phase that really irks me. Ok, my dh does not like hairy legs either. I really don't either plus we live in the South, hello it's like 69 deg today. I am running the humidifier which seems to help. And just wearing sweat pants at all times possible.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#218 of 225 Old 11-23-2008, 01:22 AM

Avoidance:
Eating noises
Being tapped (this is the WORST)
Being touched lightly
Chalkboards (even thinking of one makes me shiver)
Clocks ticking
TV/radios on in the background
Leftover food on dishware (I have had to get past this one, being a wife I wash a lot of dishes, but the thought of leftover food in the soapy water makes me feel sick)
Dusty hands
Overcrowded rooms and crowds of loud people I don't know
Hot pillows (if my pillow is cold I cannot sleep)
I don't know if this is a sensory thing, but if my nose is stuffy, I feel like I am suffocating! I literally cannot sleep if I breathe through my mouth. I wake myself up all through the night if my nose is stopped up. It's awful.
The smell of soap (just plain soap) is so gross to me that I will not wash my hands in restrooms that have plain soap (most restrooms)

Seeking:
Extremely hot water (my skin is bright red when I get out of the bath)
Clicking the mouse excessively (poor DH this drives him crazy., He asks me to stop everyday and I just do it without realizing)
Chewing fingernails (I wish I didn't but I really just go crazy if I don't)
Chewing on non-food items (pens, etc)
Always wiggling my foot

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#219 of 225 Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 AM

with me it is my vestibular system. I am not bothered by different textures but I have always gotten car sick easily.
DS has been dx w/ SPD, mostly vestibular,and the OT told me I should have him swing.I feel so nausous when I swing with him. On bad days just looking from down to up makes me dizzy. Both of us have bad visual tracking which is also a sign for SDP in the vestibular sense. We both hate it when we are supposed to practice circling our eyes w/out moving our heads. Recently DS has been dx w/ a slight auditory processing problem. Honestly I think I have one too and guess what? it is related to the vestibular system.
Anyone else have this?
#220 of 225 Old 12-06-2008, 07:51 PM

Did I kill this thread?
#221 of 225 Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 PM

hey, just dropping in to ask for any advice, tips, what-have-you for being able to tolerate my kid's stimming behavior without it exacerbating my sensory issues, especially when i'm PMSy and extra sensitive. thanks, y'all.
#222 of 225 Old 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post
Did I kill this thread?
No, I just don't know what to say. I do not have that issue.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#223 of 225 Old 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian's mama View Post
hey, just dropping in to ask for any advice, tips, what-have-you for being able to tolerate my kid's stimming behavior without it exacerbating my sensory issues, especially when i'm PMSy and extra sensitive. thanks, y'all.
No idea. I'm not PMS'y but I definitely have issues w/ some of my kids' stims.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#224 of 225 Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 AM

I hate wearing any type of clothes but my comfy jammies. As soon as I know I am home for the day I get in my jammies.

I twirl and play with my hair all the time. I used to thumb suck and sometimes will wake up from sleep sucking my thumb...lol.

I cannot stand the sound the wind makes in a fast moving car and I hate having the wind move my hair.

Heaven help anyone that touches my face!!! I cannot stand when anyone touches my face!

I'm a picker as well. Mostly the little fuzz balls on the socks.

I cannot stand touching raw meat. NASTY!

I LOVE white noise to sleep via 2 fans.

Lilly, mum to one handsome boyand to one of God's angels in heaven
#225 of 225 Old 01-06-2009, 03:28 PM

oh yeah, I have tons of sensory quirks. touches, sounds, foods, tempeature, all sorts of everday things I work around.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page