Ok I think we need an adult sensory thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never realized I had so many sensory 'issues' until I started to see them in my DS.

Aversions:
Chalkboard type surfaces...I can barely be near them
any kind of scraping sound (I have to go to my 'happy place' ie zone out when I get my teeth cleaned).
Cannot wear anything tight to my neck. No turtlenecks
As for foods I have a big problem with couscous texture. yuck!

Seeking:
I'm a picker. My poor kids I can't stand not picking scabs, zits etc
Dh is a goldmine if he lets me. he also lets me tweeze him. Pure joy!

I was full on tweezing my legs for awhile.

I know there is a lot more!! I hear a lot of you like wax. Picking glue off my fingers is very satisfying but also you can use glue on your face, over your nose to get blackheads out. OMG it's awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 04:35 PM

i use those little blackhead pore clensing strips....... or sticky tape

i hate body hair on myself, it makes my skin feel like worms are crawling under my skin.

im a picker..... i scratch at my scalp alot..... i bite my lower lip ..... i tap my fingers alot
Old 01-07-2008, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am soooo here!!

Aversions:
*anything sticky!! hubby has clean up duty after pancakes
*raw meat of any kind...I am a pro at cooking with forks.
*mico fiber towels...EEWWWWW
*the seam on socks! most of my socks are worn inside out
*scratching fingernails on blue jeans....my college roommate used to do it when she was mad at me.

I'm sure there are more, but those are on the top of my head...
Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Socks have to be on just perfectly. The seam has to be absolutely perfect.
I can't stand the feel of the cloth-stuff on the top of the car. Feeling it makes me gag and gives me the heebie-jeebies. Even seeing someone else touch it makes me gag.

I can't wear turtlenecks and most necklaces.

I pick and pop things, too. I also like tweezing hair.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 01-07-2008, 04:50 PM

i hate sticky stuff to, and yet i always seem to get the sticky dennys menu!!

my water MUST be ice cold with lots of ice, otherwise i wont drink it, and i only drink water out of a plastic straw cup

i only use plastic forks or spoons, metal makes my mouth feel like its an eletrical storm
Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 PM

Omg, I could write a book : I have tons of sensory issues and OCD.

Brushing my teeth is torture. Recently I discovered the joys of the electric toothbrush. I think the vibration helps. Using a regular toothbrush makes me gag. Dd is the same way.
Anything wet on my face - my dh gets a little hurt when I wipe his kisses off, but I can't stand it. Dd is the same way.
I'm very very sensitive to light.
I have a huge problem with being hot. If I get even the slightest bit too warm I get very irritable. Hate being sweaty too.

When I was little I had a green blanky that I chewed on at night. It got really beat up and one day my mother decided to replace it with another green blanket. I wasn't very happy. I tried chewing it and started to retch. My mother told me to "stop being stupid"
Old 01-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylittlevowels View Post
Brushing my teeth is torture. Recently I discovered the joys of the electric toothbrush. I think the vibration helps. Using a regular toothbrush makes me gag.

I have a huge problem with being hot. If I get even the slightest bit too warm I get very irritable. Hate being sweaty too.
sorry about your mom being mean

i am the oppisite with my teeth, eletric makes me feel really weird creepy feelings in my mouth and makes me shudder, i only use manual.

i hate being hot and sweaty as well!!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:01 PM

I stim on caffene, not the same as like using it to wake up or anything (although it does that), but the effect on my heard and nervous system is a sensory organizing activity to me.

Sometimes I need to type so that I can get my hands back to working the right way. It is like a precise, forceful thing you can do with individual fingers to let them know how to move correctly again. Occasionally I write an article for a website, or write a few hundred words in one of my novels just for the sake of providing sensory input for my hands.

I love to take the hem especially on a fresh t-shirt and fold it so that it seperates the ironed flat seam (not like ripping it, just like seperating the fabric and folding it the "wrong way". The fabric has been pressed together so it seperates and makes kind of a static/texture splitting feeling that is just awesome.

I am almost nonverbal at work unless I have had gum that day, like my tongue won't work to make the right sounds. I go through 1-2 packs of gum per day. It has to be peppermint flavored, and I vastly prefer the kind with the hard shell... Trident White.

I prefer to have headphones around my neck with music just loud enough to hear, so that I can hear everything around me, but also music. That way I can focus on the music if I need to concentrate.

I love driving. It is just unexplainable how awesome it feels to drive around a corner or to accelerate quickly.

Video games help organize me, they have very set rules and you can manuver within those rules. My day is often really hard if I did not start it with video games. It is like a bridge between sleep and awake for me, makes the transition way easier.

Defensives are pretty much all food...
I am physically afraid to touch, smell, or look at Mayonase or Sour cream, and have less severe, but bad aversions to milkshakes, ice cream, beans, cottage cheese, yogurt, bread with "stuff" in it (like nuts or wheatberries or whatever ungodly things people put in there).

I hate wearing long sleaves, or things that button up to my neck. I hate wearing jackets or coats. I prefer not to wear long pants, but I have to for work. I can't stand to wear wool or flanel on my skin.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Anything wet on my face - my dh gets a little hurt when I wipe his kisses off, but I can't stand it. Dd is the same way.
I can't stand anything wet anywhere on my body (unless I'm supposed to be wet, like in the bath or shower). If I step in something wet with socks on, I freak out for about five minutes. If I get something wet on my hands and don't know what it is, I go nuts.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 01-07-2008, 05:02 PM

I have to have chapstick at all times, or I will literally chew my bottom lip till it bleeds.

I can't stand anyone touching the back of my head, especially when I'm laying down.

My socks have to be on just right. When I was a kid I could only wear socks that came up really high on my calves if I was outside because I hated the feel of grass or weeds touching my legs.

I didn't start wearing jeans until middle school, they felt... scratchy.

I have a lot of addictions/aversions to smells. Most of my smell addictions are stuff like rubber or plastic, and most of my aversions are food smells, especially meat.

I can't stand my skin being dry. I use lotion like crazy!

I have a really hard time falling asleep at night because it's so hard for me to get comfortable. The sheets and blankets and pillows all have to be just so.

I'm a picker too, it drives my cat nuts, lol!

I hate the feeling of sweat!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 01-07-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
I prefer to have headphones around my neck with music just loud enough to hear, so that I can hear everything around me, but also music. That way I can focus on the music if I need to concentrate.

I hate <snip> things that button up to my neck. I hate wearing jackets or coats.

I can't stand to wear wool or flanel on my skin.
I have used music or the tv as background noise to concentrate all my life, i loved my headphones at school, and thankfully, at my high school my teachers were all pretty relaxed and let me wear them as long as we wern't being doing dictation or class discussions.

i cant stand things near my neck!! i feel like i being strangled. my mother always used to make me wear turtulenecks as a kid (we did live in a very cold mountain town ) I also hate layers, i wear only one layer, even in the middle of a chicago winter. Im allergic to wool, and i hate anything that feels like wool, its so scratchy and creepy crawly. I also dont like the feel of corderoy
Old 01-07-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
and most of my aversions are food smells, especially meat.

I can't stand my skin being dry. I use lotion like crazy!
yay!! another meat smell hater, im not crazy!! I can smell the blood, and it makes me want to throw up. We only eat chicken or turkey now because it has less noxious blood.

i should just buy stocks in johnson and johnsons baby lotion, it am constantly reapplying lotion, and i can only use that one because of my allergies! But i hate when my hands feel the least bit dry.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Banned

I'm not gonna read beyong the OP just so I can think better about this (and THANK YOU for starting this!)

Avoidance:
eating noises, lips smacking (this includes kissy noises), chewing, slurping, even crunching
body hair touching clothes. I am more likely to shave often and thoroughly in Winter than Summer.
Repetitve noises, small sharp noises, dripping water noises, soft noises when it is quiet (right now there is a strip of rubber flapping on our screen and I can't stand it. Wait, I'm gonna deal with it. (....) Ahhh! All better!)
High-pitched sounds that most people cannot hear. This one gets me crazy points with a lot of people until I do something like find a camera that has not had its flash attachment turned off - at the other end of a house full of people - just to turn it off. This includes CRT monitors (I can hear if they have power, whenther they are displaying anything or not), CRT televisions, camera flash attachments, deer repellers (that mount on cars), dog whistles, those noisemakers used to repel pests and now teenagers (I HATE walking into a store that has one installed). LCDs make a noise too, but it's not the same kind, more of a soft hum, not a squeal. I'm so glad they eixst now.
Rough or scratchy clothing, tags, lace, synthetic fabrics.
Soft music and speech also bothers me. I can hear it just fine, but it makes me feel hyperaware and panicky.
Globlular foods. I must slice them (even grapes) or I can't bear to eat them. Something about how they feel in my mouth. However, I like peas. Maybe the rule is that the globular food must be smaller than my teeth. Or something.
Light touching, including tickling touches without prior permission.
anything that makes me itchy, including not bathing often enough or too often (it's a delicate balance - in summer it's every day or twice a day, in winter it can't be more than every four or so days or I get itchier). I get really moody when I'm itchy.

Seeking:

Touching things. I have a glass and steel desk because I like touching metal and glass.
The glue/wax sticky/enveloping/hot stuff I already talked about. I also love clay and making bread because of how it feels on my hands. I refuse to use a machine to make bread for this reason.
Picking. I love picking at scabs. I wish I didn't - I have a big zitscab on my cheek that isn't going away because I won't leave it alone.
Biting the inside of my cheek. I've developed "wings" on my inner cheeks from doing this.
Rollercoasters/skateboarding/going fast. What really sucks about this is that I REALLY desperately wanted to ride a bike as a child and I wasn't able to keep it upright. I tried for years, suffering roadrash because I would get it going fast (I'd been told that was how to not fall over) and then lean over and skid. I learned how to skateboard in high school and it was great. I was never any good, but I could go.
Physical exertion, even if it's unpleasant. This is like the good/bad pain of biting my cheek.
Being bitten.
Wearing snug/covering clothing or being wrapped up. This has changed some because of recent weight gain, which might just be because the weight makes me feel like I'm wrapped up and slightly compressed anyway so I dont' need as much pressure anymore.
Eating crunchy foods. I have some trouble with the noise, though, so it ends up being a battle over which I want more.
Chewing on things. Non-food things, and I don't eat them, just chew on them, sink my teeth into them. Crayons are great for this.
Spinning! I love it. I'll do it until I get sick.
There's more, but my little guys are distracting me too much

Maura
Old 01-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
When I was little I had a green blanky that I chewed on at night. It got really beat up and one day my mother decided to replace it with another green blanket. I wasn't very happy. I tried chewing it and started to retch. My mother told me to "stop being stupid"
My parents did not understand my aversion to eating sounds, and my dad eats REALLY LOUDLY and messily. I was forced to stay at the table until I had eaten my meal (almost impossible when I was experiencing nausea and fight-or-flight reactions). I eventually go really good at jsut shoving my food down my throat so I could be excused as quickly as possible, and I always left the table in a horrible state. It stuck, though.

My husband, who is a Marine, said he'd never seen anyone eat so fast, even in the chowhall. I've been working on slowing down my eating for years now and I'm still faster than most. I wish I wasn't.

Maura
Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM

My list would be enormous

I avoid many textures, particularily wrt food and clothing (socks). I love to have my headphones on at all times, and I always feel like a bad mom when I do.

My sensory seeking was funneled into drug use/drinking/smoking until I got pregnant. I really want to quit smoking this year, but I am scared what I'll do to replace it. Well, I'm more scared to keep smoking, but I love it so.

I hate eye contact more than most things. It feels like someone is putting pipe cleaners in my eyeballs when I look too long. I hate hugging, which didn't go over well with my raver friends. I think that's what kept me from being a raver myself. I love hugging D, though.

I hate feet, too. Gah! The dry, callous-y...
Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauncourt View Post
My parents did not understand my aversion to eating sounds, and my dad eats REALLY LOUDLY and messily. I was forced to stay at the table until I had eaten my meal (almost impossible when I was experiencing nausea and fight-or-flight reactions). I eventually go really good at jsut shoving my food down my throat so I could be excused as quickly as possible, and I always left the table in a horrible state. It stuck, though.

My husband, who is a Marine, said he'd never seen anyone eat so fast, even in the chowhall. I've been working on slowing down my eating for years now and I'm still faster than most. I wish I wasn't.

Maura
Same exact situation here, and yeah I have been working hard on portion control (I eat 100% of what is on my plate, no matter how I feel), and also on slowing down. My marine friend makes fun of me that people in a chow tent in a combat zone in the middle of iraq seem like casual diners compared to me.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:33 PM

I do not like to have my knees touched. Even thinking about it makes me nauseated.

I also can't stand the sound wool makes between teeth -- don't ask how I know the sound. I
don't like when people have music on so slow that it is barely audible especially in the car.

I can't focus if several people talk to me at one.

I hate when strangers stand near me in the store and I will leave an aisle even if it means going back in after they leave. Its worse at bookstores for some odd reason.

I love repetitive noises or white noise. I find it very comforting.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 01-07-2008, 06:34 PM

LoL!

I'm a scab picker too.

I also gently stroke my eyebrows when I'm thinking.

And I have a habit that I know (I remember) being a substitution for thumbsucking. I used to stroke my upper lip with my fingernail while I sucked my thumb. When I stopped thumbsucking, I started rubbing my thumbnail against my upper lip or the sides of my other fingers instead.

Its interesting - when we started talking about adult sensory issues in my family, when we realized how many DS has, my parents both *immediately* started coming up with things from their own lives. DS has melted down during haircuts since he was 3. Seriously, scarily, melted down.

And at first my parents were all "Oh, bribe him or just make him," but when I explained sensory issues, Mom said, "Oh, yeah! When I was his age, my grandmother used to make appointments for us to have our hair done together - shampoo and cut and set - and this was supposed to be a big treat, pampering, and I remember how excruciating it was, and how it felt like someone was literally cutting *me*"

And Dad, when I told him about having to explain to teh teacher that his kicking his feet against the edges of his desk is sensory and he's not even aware he's doing it - again, had a "Yeah! I do that!" (Dad iis also a hair-twiddler- with his mustache.

The list from my mom, especially, went on and on. Think there's a genetic component there?

And

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM

I definalty think theres a genetic component with sensory issues, my mum likes her hair brushed, it calms her..... well it also calms me and ds to!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

It's so nice to see people having the same aversions/seeking issues as me

I'm also allergic to wool and I can't wear any fibers that contain any animal hair.
I'm getting goosebumps just from typing that.

I also can not sleep in a sleeping bag thats zipped or sheets that are tucked in. I'm way too claustrophobic for that.

I can also hear the tv if it's on but not getting input. It buzzes really loud to me.

It's also a joke between my DH and I how grumpy I get when the weather is hot. I don't like being hot at all, or sweaty. I can deal if I'm working out but I have to shower immediately.

Thanks to everyone for sharing!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM

as a kid i used to need to be coocooned in my bed, everything tucked in perfectly before i could sleep, now as an adult i dont need the tightness, but i like the blankets up near my neck regardless of if its hot or not.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
I also gently stroke my eyebrows when I'm thinking.
This is really cool. I've never done it deliberately before. It feels neat, very comforting.

I left out some other things -
I have left right confusion. It affects my typing, all kinds of things.
I have balance issues, but not consistently.

Honestly there is so much that I feel weird about making a list of it.

Also WRT the genetic question - my grandmother also hates eating sounds (i've seen her reaction to them) and I think she's resisted getting a hearing aid for her progressive hearing loss precisely because it has given her so much relief to not have the auditory input. My mom cuts tags out of clothes, and has smell fetishes (she LOVES perfumes but I hate them...). because of that, I am certain the sensory issues I have are hereditary. We also have a history of learning issues, with a tendency towards giftedness in spatial relationships in both sexes combined with dyscalculia in girls and dyslexia in boys, sometimes really profound. My brother sounds out words to read, just like I have to work out which number I'm looking at or 'sound out' notes when reading music. It goes back generations. We have one ancestor who never learned to read and so passed his medical exams orally.

I'd be really interested to see what kind of correlations there are and if there were any real studies done. Probably not, because if it's genetic, there's no cure...

Maura
Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Oh snap! I can't believe I forgot about running my fingernails against my teeth. ALL.DAY.LONG. Love it.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauncourt View Post
This is really cool. I've never done it deliberately before. It feels neat, very comforting.
isn't it?
Quote:
I'd be really interested to see what kind of correlations there are and if there were any real studies done. Probably not, because if it's genetic, there's no cure...
It really has been fascinating, because we've gotten it from both sides. We're lucky in that all our parents are open to new information, they're not all "Well, we did it this way and you turned out fine." While my mom was listing sensory behaviors of hers, and her mothers (my grandmother had a bunch of hilarirous stories about the consequences of her *and* her sister cutting the elastic on all their slips and underwear because they couldn't stand anythign tight around their waists) -- my FIL was busily naming ways in which DS is just like his uncle, who was *their* challenging child.

Poor kid, getting two different family's full load of sensory stuff. Its remarkable he copes as well as he does. I think the hypo stuff from my parents somehow is counteracting the hyper from DH's side of the family...

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 PM

My list would be extremely long and my brain is exhausted right now As you can see from the DDDDC under my username I do have an aversion to socks, anything on my feet and athletic sock material (ewww). My dd is on the autism spectrum and has severe sensory issues and has been in occupational therapy for over 1.5 years. My DH has many sensory issues also and has a 2 family members with Asperger's. We are just a whole sensory bunch here

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 PM

I was thinking about this very thing today while driving Mark to OT and I realized I was biting the insides of my fingers as hard as I could (like, until they're numb). I have so many "things" that mark me as sensory dysfunctional as well, many I've outgrown or only do during stressful times, but many are still here.....I've not time to list them, but biting my fingers, pulling my own hair and chewing on stuff...
Old 01-07-2008, 08:21 PM

I have a HUGE aversion to things being on my feet. So much so that I wear flip flops for as long as I can (until there is actual snow on the ground) and then all winter I try my best to get away with only wearing ballerina slippers or other light weight slip ons. I prefer trouser socks to regular socks because they are so thin.

I sleep with a heated blanket, 2 comforters and 7 pillows. I must acheive a full cocoon effect to fall asleep. I had 3 comforters and an extra 2 pillows but Dh started complaining that he was too hot and there wasn't enough room for him in bed. When I'm over stimulated I curl up in bed randomly during the day in my cocoon. I found Ds unwinding on the couch surrounded by pillows and with his limbs all pulled into his shirt, so I guess the apple doesn't fall far.

I'm also a picker. My poor babies were getting picked from brith, lol. I also did my own piercings (non of which I still have) and then would cut myself with a razor blade. Mostly to deal with emotions I couldn't otherwise comprehend or express, physically feeling it was much more relieving. (this was as a teenager) I didn't find my tattoo painful at all and can't wait for the next one.

Also attracted to glue and wax. I don't keep glue in the hosue anymore and you can't light a candle in the room with me. My mom was excited when she could finally light candles again after I moved out.

If a food has a strong smell I wont eat it. I smell EVERYTHING.

I touch everything, especially in stores. This is the main reason I don't buy much online.

I chew on my lips till they bleed.

I thump. At least thats what my Dh calls it. I shake my legs or feet in order to concentrate, calm myself, fall asleep, just about everything. Its my stim and I never realize I'm doing it until its pointed out. Like what you'd see cracked out nervous drug addicts doing, lmao. Its just that fast and random.

I'm totally addicted to caffine. MUST have caffine and I can drink rediculous amounts. Coffee doesn't really do it. I must have the total sensory experience that is carbonation. It calms me down vs waking me up.

I get "stuck" on things. Like if I walk into my kitchen when I'm supposed to be getting ready to leave I can get stuck on the fact that its dissorganized. I can't move on to something else until its rectified. If I get really stuck Dh finds me thumping my foot while muttering "not clean" to myself over and over again. Therefor, we found it better to keep the house as organized as possible.

Magazines... this helps mask disorganized areas. I have my magazines that I organize on tables around the house. I only read half of them but if I line them up nicely and they stay that way I can focus on those instead of some other mess in the room. I'm probably one of the only people that buys magainzes just so I can put them out on my tables to help me process the room. If Dh is ticked at me he'll move a magazine out of alignment because he knows it will irk me.

There are a ton more but those are my main ones.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:57 PM

Wow, I guess I'm like the poster child after reading this list - I have so many of the same things - how am I functioning? :-D

I am definately addicted to soda - Mt. Dew is my drug of choice - I need the carbonation and the caffeine and I can totally *feel* the endorphines release in my brain when I drink it. I drink it at breakfast... I've tried to break it, and I'll go for a few weeks or months, but as soon as I allow myself just 1 soda, I'm back 100% addicted.

As a kid in the 80s my the waist band on my jeans was always really tight, and it gave me the impression I was badly overweight even though I wasn't. When I got pregnant, I discovered I loved not having waist bands. Now I cannot stand to wear anything with a waistband around my true waist. I pull my pants up to my rib cage under my shirts.

I seriously freak if dh asks me to put mayo on his sandwhich. I cannot stand the smell of the stuff. Mustard and pickles are major aversions too. Sometimes I get a sandwhich from a fast food place, and I suspect the person who made it had pickle juice on their hands or *gasp* maybe just picked it off when I ordered it plain and dry and it's all I can do to choke it down.

I don't know if it is sensory related, but I really hate the telephone and really have to pysch myself up to use it for anything other than talking to dh or my mom.

I pick too (I thought that that was just a mother thing... you know, grooming?) Looking at newborn acne is torture.

I really like to suck water out of a sponge. Just a really great feeling.

I can't sleep uncovered no matter how hot it is.

Loud noise makes me feel angry....
Old 01-08-2008, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
Looking at newborn acne is torture.
It took EXTREME amounts of self control to not pick all that off. Both kids had tons. It was a nightmare. I actually talked DD into picking off a scab yesterday because I honestly could not even look at her without thinking about it.

My poor kids!!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:31 AM

As a child, I chewed my hair, pencils, and pens constantly. I still chew pens and pencils. Don't borrow my writing implements! I also chew the insides of my cheeks.

I will compulsively pick. Thank god I don't have acne anymore. I pick because it itches.

I am incredibly freakishly uptight about how the bed is made. The covers have to be exactly even and in exactly the right spot. They may not hit my neck or face. They must be folded over the right amount. I can't tolerate certain sheets. I can't sleep without a blanket. My poor husband is used to me getting up in the middle of the night and making him get out of the bed so I can strip it and remake it.

I can't stand having pants hit me on the waist. Thank heavens for the lowrider trend.

I cut all tags out of my clothes, and if there aren't scissors immediately handy, I will rip the tags out, sometimes sort of subconsciously, sometimes in a panic. I have ruined more clothes this way...also, the entire tag must be removed. No remnants can remain.

I can't stand to wear makeup, especially lipstick, which I will rub off on whatever comes to hand without even knowing I'm doing it.

Very picky about tight, restrictive, fussy, or uncomfortable clothes or shoes. This one is bad enough that wearing business clothes is really a problem.

If I am trying to sleep, I am extremely intolerant of tiny sounds no one else can hear, especially if they are repetitive. I sleep with earplugs a lot.

Certain kinds of lighting situations make me very uneasy--bright light through blinds, bright lights in my peripheral vision. Loud bass, like from cars with big sound systems, phsycially nauseates me and activates a fight-or-flight feeling.

What's funny is that my DD is my opposite--a sensory seeker all the way. I have to restrain myself from "fixing" her bed and cutting her tags out! The only thing we have in common is chewing. I think I'm orally underresponsive--I have no food aversions and love strong-flavored, spicy, intense foods. I'm a huge foodie, actually.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

User Tag List