loooong day, just need to talk about it. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2008, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*sigh*
Today was one of those days.

My toddler had a cold over the weekend which included a wierd goopy eye thing. She was better by sunday afternoon but of course she passed it on to me. Now I have one bright red gross eye. Thankfully she is better and I feel fine other than the eye thing.

Of course Celeste gets sick now. She was tired all morning but said she wanted to go to yoga, so we went. On the way home the poor kid projective vomits like 5 times all over herself and her carseat. Then of course the seizures started. Her seizures have been partial/focal seizures but they are very often really really hard to break.

So, I call the neuro and ask him what can we do at home because I reallly would like to not have to go to the er this time. Did I mention we are in the process of buying our first house and we have a home inspector coming tomarow for 3 hours? : So poor Celeste gets two doses of diastat, an extra dose of clonopin, extra dose of Keppra, and her regular meds. By this time her breathing was shallow so I had to get out the oxygen. I have never used it at home before, so this was a 1st for me.

The worste part was my dh. He was being a real butt about the whole thing.... today was his first day at a new job and he was all pissy that no one really cared. Um... I had other more important things to worry about! And he was mean to our 2 year old

So ultimately I am trying to keep my toddler calm because she is scared that everyone is on edge and yelling and Celeste looks terrible, trying to stop this 4 hour partial seizure, figure out how to work the oxygen, and clean the vomit out of my car.

Before this chaos I spent the day on the phone with various house related people to get moving on the new place. I have not slept more than a 2 hour stretch since friday when my toddler started to get sick.

Really, this is exactly what I wanted to do with my day.

Thanks for listening. I feel better talking about it.

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 AM

Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 AM

*HUGS* I am sorry that you are having a rough time, I hope tomorrow is better for you.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 01-08-2008, 02:03 AM

Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 AM

That sounds really, really stressful...

Hang in there! I love getting to the other side of that horrible mountain...

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
Old 01-08-2008, 02:35 AM

Old 01-08-2008, 02:58 AM

That is a horrible day.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 01-08-2008, 04:11 AM

I'm so sorry you had such a tough day. That sucks. I hope tomorrow is easier for all of you guys.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 AM

That sounds truly awful! s
Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 AM

You need Prince Calgon to come take you away!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Reading about your day made me feel stressed. I hope that the kids start to feel well, and that things calm down a bit.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM

Wow....THAT. IS. A. DAY.

I would have taken about 20 minutes of that, gone back to bed and said "see you tomorrow--I'm done with today!"

Don't you wish it worked like that?

How's Celeste? How are YOU?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 PM

I hope tomorrow's better.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 PM

What an awful day. I hope she gets better soon! ANd I really hope dh stops acting like a baby.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:56 PM

ugh! s
And vomit is sooooo hard to get out of the car and carseat, and it's not like you have time to just go scrub your car. s just ugh.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 PM

That is one no good very bad horrible day!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 PM

I'm sorry you had such a yucky day!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:33 AM

ug. what a crappy day!

wishing i could send you on a magical trip somewhere luxurious and warm!

my hats off to you for being able to type in complete sentences!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That's one day you didn't need to have!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 01-09-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for all the support.

This week has been pretty crappy. Thankfully not as bad as monday though!

I was able to get a good friend to watch Amira yesterday morning for a few hours so I could get to the home inspection. I took Celeste with me and I think I scared our realtor and the inspector!

Celeste woke up yesterday with the gross eye goopy stuff. So the whole time at the inspection she sounded like darth vador and had a drippy goopy red eye. I took them both to the ped right after the inspection and got eye drops for Celeste. Turns out nurse practioner claimed they both had ear infections. I didnt know if I believed her, or thought maybe it was viral, until *I* woke up at 4am with awful ear pain and was miserable.

Somehow we have to make it to get our mortage loan application filled out tonight when dh gets home from work. That wont be pretty

Amira is still not sleeping well at night, and I am guessing its the ears... although she has not been pulling at them or anything. On the bright side Celeste is slightly perkier this morning and she actually smiled at me a little.

So what would you guys do about the whole ear thing? I always hear ear infections are overdiagnosed and over treated. I dont want to give Celeste antibiotics unneccesarily (especially since they give her diarreah and often increase seizure activity) but I dont want her to be in pain or uncomfortable. Amira is not showing any symptoms other than a bit needier/clingier (not even that bad) and not sleeping well. WWYD?

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

Old 01-09-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWhimsey View Post
ugh! s
And vomit is sooooo hard to get out of the car and carseat, and it's not like you have time to just go scrub your car. s just ugh.
Tell me about it! I was out in the rain at like 11:30 pm stripping the carseat and scrubbing my car with carpet cleaner. It still smells in there, I dont know what else to do!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:20 PM

My ped usually gives us a paper prescription for antibiotics when I go in w/ a kid w/ an ear infection instead of calling it in to the pharmacy. He tells me to wait 5 days before filling it and see if they get better w/out it. I think that's good advice. I really like my ped and trust him to know the right thing to do.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

we had another seizure day. I thought everything was going well, she was even smiling this morning! I took the girls out to Costco for food (we were living on frozen juice and cheerio's) and on the way home Amira says mama and does the sign for sick...sure enough Celeste is twitching. So I got her in and gave her more diastat and more keppra and more clonopin, and about two hours later she slowed down and eventually stopped.

Its amazing though... a couple of years ago there is no way I could have sat back put away groceries while she was actively seizing. Now its not that big a deal. They dont do much for her in the hospital that I cant do at home. I wonder how that line gets pushed further and further. It just makes me realize there is definately progression of the disease and I am just used to it. Her seizures are bad and only getting worse. Two years ago I was a mess after a minute, and here I am now after hours and hours of seizures. Makes me wonder what else I will get used to...

Old 01-10-2008, 04:51 AM

: I hate the seizures and I especially hate how laid back you (general) become when your child has them all the time. People will be holding Lily and go 'um, what is she doing?' and I just glance over and go 'oh, she's just having a seizure, it's ok'.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 01-10-2008, 01:06 PM

s

I know what you mean about the seizures--getting used to them. That's a huge knock-on-wood for me right now, though, since ds1 seems to be doing well on his current med.

About the vomit....go out and buy a very large box of baking soda. Re-wet the areas that had vomit (to the point of being *wet*, not damp), then pour a thick pile of baking soda on the spot. Let the baking soda dry to a powdery crust, then take a vaccum and vaccum all the baking soda off.

Takes out the odor like you wouldn't believe!

In the future, if you can, use baking soda right away. Pick up as much vomit as you can with paper towels or something, but don't scrub. Then pour on the baking soda. The bs pulls the acids and fluids out of fabrics, and totally neutralizes the odor. Poured directly on vomit, it gets hard and dries to a very hard crust. Then you vaccum. You can repeat it a couple of times to get out any lingering odor.

We've done this on our home carpets and in the car. Worked well.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 01-10-2008, 01:19 PM

Theresa, I think you are incedible for surviving this week with your wits intact!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:17 PM

Oh Theresa, .

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
Old 01-10-2008, 04:02 PM

What a week you are having! But what an INCREDIBLE mother and person you are!!! I hope things are looking up.

As for the ear infections, I would fill the Rx and keep it on hand. Then wait a few days and see if they are better. DD has only had one ear infection, but it was bad. We waited several days, I thought it was gone. But then she woke up screaming again and was in obvious pain. She was diagnosed on a Monday and we wound up starting the anti-biotic on Friday because it just wasn't going away on its own. DH wound up getting an ear infection at the same time and he hadn't had one since he was a child. I guess it was a very nasty bacteria indeed. This was last winter (during my birthday!)

The baking soda idea sounds like a great one!

And as if having a SN child, a toddler, a partner starting a new job, and buying a house aren't stressful enough all on their own! I hope you can do something really nice for yourself sometime soon when things calm down a bit. Hang in there!

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
Old 01-10-2008, 04:05 PM

Oh mama I hope things get better and soon. Olivia had the flu last week and today DH has it- when it rains it pours.

User Tag List