Link for Developmental Ped or... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OT? My sister's son seems to have several "not right" issues..I don't know a lot about them as we are not close, but my mom has told me about a few of them. Both my mom and I feel like she really needs to have him evaluated, so if there IS a problem, they can start working on helping him out.

Does anyone have a link that helps you find a dev ped or OT in a given area? They live near Oregon, Il, and he is 4 1/2 years old, if that helps! Thanks so much- I tried searching the forum but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for !

Thanks again!
Kelly

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 PM

I understand that you and your mom feel that she needs to have him evaluated, but how does *she* feel about it?

And to answer your question, I joined a local support group for autistic people and their family members and asked who they had seen, what they did and didn't like about them, and who they recommended for accurate evaluations.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

I think she goes back and forth....we are not close at all, so don't ever discuss things like this. So this is why I am e-mailing the links to my mom, and she can see how sis feels about them, if she wants to pursue it. They have done some very basic evaluation years ago which led to him being placed in some kind of special preschool...again, I don't know too many details. I believe what my mom told me was what the evaluators had to say was "no, he's not autistic" but my mom did not believe that the evaluation had been thorough, or checked to see if even if he wasn't classically (if that is possible) autistic, did he fall anywhere on the spectrum? Nor did it have anything to do with sensory issues, etc.

So neither my mom nor I are going to force her or coerce her into doing anything, but want to have info available for her should she choose to use it. She tends to have a passive personality, but has expressed concern/unhappiness with her son's behavior and issues, so where as she may not seek out the info, if it was available she just may use it.

Thanks for your suggestion about the group...I will have my mom look into that a little more.

Kelly

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014

User Tag List