New Poster, Spirited Child, need advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an almost 4 yr. old spirited ds who we are just beginning to understand and get help for. From my brief lurking, I see that what we are dealing with is so small compared to what some on the forums face each day with their kids. But this is the first place I've found, that I see there may be some kindred spirits.
All my friends kids are so not like my kid. They are all off to preschool and doing fine while my kid struggles. They are all enjoying playdates while my kid hits, screams and so forth. All the SAHM's on our street went off on a girls' weekend and I couldn't go because to leave my wonderful and very involved hubby with our kids over night would've been cruel and unusual punishment. I hate that I sound so, "Poor me."
Ds has some mild sensory issues but is working himself up to an oppositional-defiant disorder diagnosis pretty quickly. He has NEVER adjusted to having a sibling (dd is almost 2) and can't be left alone for a second with her. He was colicky, acid reflux and high needs infant and continues to be very high needs. Requires constant attention. Aggressive towards other kids at times, at other times he's an angel.
He had a horrible time at a Mother's Day Out program at a local preschool, which prompted an Early Intervention appt. They said pull him out of the program and re-eval. later. We chose to go the private route instead b/c I suspected a sensory-seeking SID. Private OT said SID was present but mild. He has since outgrown some of the concerns. Ped. felt he was depressed by new sibling. We just began to see a psychologist. I will meet w/ her next week re: her thoughts on diagnosis. She gave us some helpful stuff re: dealing with his aggressiveness and anger outbursts at home.
Current preschool is working (fingers crossed). Small, home-based preschool, teacher is great. He actually responds better with her than at home. He has about 1 aggressive incident daily at school (this is an improvement from last year), then puts himself in time out. Teacher is fine with this so we think we'll enroll him next year, but wonder if we should consider Montessori-- would it help vs. hurt him????
Anyway, I am just beginning to accept that I can't enroll him in summer camp at our local Nature Center like my best friend is doing with her kids, can't leave him in the daycare at the gym I want to join, babysitters don't last more than a two or three times. Trying to find more compassion within myself and not yell at him, that is not the parent I wanted to be. Scared of what is in store as he gains the vocabulary to really express himself (right now he threatens to throw us out the window, calls us stupid). Fear constantly for my younger child's safety. My heart sinks when my dad tells me, "Don't have a 3rd child, who knows how he'll react to that."
Any thoughts, advice, feedback much appreciated.

I am...
Mom to ds 3.5, and dd 1.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 AM

I dont' want to read and not respond....what struck me most, tbh, is your statement that your son makes threatening comments to other family members. This would be of concern to me, and I'd want to talk about that specifically with a psychologist. It's hard to have kids that needs so much of us.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:34 AM

I say we get your son and my son together....pay some babysitter an exorbitant amount of $$...get another babysitter for the other members of the crews--and pay them a normal amount

and run away for a few hours, some place where we can tell tales of horror about our kids and not be judged like we are either exaggerating or raising a sociopath

Seriously though, have you tried an elimination diet? Our kiddo would need to be institutionalized if he were eating dairy, soy, corn, preservatives, food coloring, and refined sugar on a daily basis...I kid you not--he is a serious danger to himself and everyone around him when he has not-safe food. Those may not be culprits for your son, but there might be something--and our ds doesn't have any physical symptoms related to them now (although he did have eczema as a wee one)--all the symptoms are behavioral. I'd be glad to talk to you about it more, if you wanted.

Annnnnd other than that...you know I'm in about the same place as you right now. If you just need someone to talk to, I'm here

I'd love to hear what works for you as things go on.

Oh! Have you tried Rescue Remedy to head off a rage? It works pretty good with our kiddo. It can sometimes head off the unending spiral...

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
Old 01-11-2008, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Unreal, I'm in on the babysitting deal!
I don't know anything about Rescue Remedy or elimination diet. Any resources you have, where I could learn more about these, I'm interested.
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:35 AM

Rescue Remedy

It's pretty amazing stuff. Use it on yourself, too.

I don't know much about elimination diets, but someone will chime in soon, I'm sure. There's bound to be tons of threads on Mothering.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:42 AM

I think this is a great thread about dairy and behavioral issues:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=460679

It is at least a really really good starting point

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)

User Tag List