Should I put him back in diapers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-15-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok guys and gals, help me think this out.

DS1 is 4yo (birthday in June). He knows all about the potty. Uses it for bowel movements now and hasn't had an accident of that nature in about 6 months. He sometimes pees in the potty. He will often pee off my front porch (which I think is somewhat amusing but most people are outraged lol). But just as often he pees in his pants. And it doesn't really affect him. He doesn't get upset or seem to mind. I'm not sure if he notices.

Today at the library he wet his pants twice. It doesn't seem related to anxiety. He does it out and at home.

I was talking with a friend who has a DS2 autie and a DS1 with apraxia. Her DS1 is 4 like my DS1 - she was working on potty training him but he gets put in pullups when she started a part time job recently. She feels like he regressed even more when they started putting pullups on him than when she just had him in underwear. She says she doesn't want to start training her 3yo autie until she can let him go totally w/o pullups.

So I have that opinion, that I shouldn't put him back in pullups or diapers. But I am tired of wet pants. Really tired of buckling him into his carseat and feeling wet pants against my hands. Tired of 3-4 different pairs of pants a day.

I EC'd my 2yo and he's totally trained now except a pullup at night (all my kids night wet). So it's especially frustrating that my 4yo is still always wet. Wet. Wet. Wet. My days revolve around screeching and wet pants. At least that's what it feels like right now. /sigh. Opinions? Thoughts?

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#2 of 7 Old 01-15-2008, 04:15 PM

I posted a very similar question back in September.

DD knew all the ropes of using the potty, but seemed unconcerned by actually doing it. She was having tons of accidents. Her diagnosis is not fully determined, but among other possiblities, it is clear that she has sensory problems and likely apraxia, which may have an effect on the potty issue.

Out of desperation, I did put her back in pull ups. I really didn't have a choice. She was wetting everything all the time. School was a problem. Going anywhere was impossible. I was tired of having to clean up or report pee puddles.

I tried keeping her out of pull ups at home. And, I encouraged keeping her pull up dry.

Suddenly, during Christmas break, she declared out of the blue that she would not use pull ups after Christmas, and she didn't. Since Christmas, she's been dry in underwear (except at night, but I'm not worried about that). I'm not sure what is different or how she came to this decision, but she did. It did seem like she regressed a little after we switched back to pull ups, but it also took the pressure off. She had other things to work on, and when she was accustomed to those things, she was ready to give up the pull up. I don't know exactly how she works, but that's our experience.

I wouldn't worry too much about going back to pull ups. If it's necessary, regular potty learning will come in time. Encourage, take the pressure off a little, and see what happens.
#3 of 7 Old 01-15-2008, 04:22 PM

What about using training pants or cloth diapers? That way he would still feel wet like in real underwear but you wouldn't have to deal with the messes in public.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM

Another idea (it's a bit more time consuming, but solves your problem); is to take him potty every hour (set a timer so you don't forget, if you have to). If it's been awhile and he hasn't gone every time you've gotten him to try; and you knooooooow it's comin'; take him every half hour or every fifteen minutes until he goes. Kids his age should be able to stay dry for a couple hours at a time (unless, of course, they drink a lake everyday); so if that's not the case, maybe there's something else wrong, like a bladder infection or something...?

Or, perhaps he's just too busy to go to the bathroom; and he needs you to 'make' him stop what he's doing and go. Good luck!

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#5 of 7 Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 PM

Andrew will be four next month.

He was just like that for a long time. Finally a month ago we just went naked. He's never had a pee accident naked. But if I put him in underwear we had wets again. So I stuck with the naked longer. Then I started putting him commando in just pants (no undies...which I suspect feel close to his body like a diaper) around the house. And I would remind him over and over that he had pants on. Once we mastered that we did do underwear and he manages the pee fine around the house. Though both boys prefer commando.

Out and about he does pretty well pee wise but still has some poo accidents. I do training underwear that hold any leaks. But last trip we went through both pairs of training underwear (not really his fault...we were in the car and late for an appt. and had to keep going) and I put him in a pull up and he did fine. No regression.

So I guess a couple of things. He may not be ready. My son wasn't at that age. And I did go back to diapers at that point. And you might try naked and see what happens.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 7 Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I started with the naked trick, actually, and it usually worked. Then he started wanting to go out naked, all the time. So I was back to pants - he rarely wears undies now. Just britches.

I think I may give the timer thing a try. If that doesn't work I'm just going to go back to diapers. Probably pull-ups. He had an absolute melt-down at one point a few months ago when I tried to put a cloth diaper on him. But he'll accept a pullup.

I'm still feeling really disheartened after yet another day a really wet pants. Going to try the timers tomorrow - maybe it will work. I use timers for other things and often they are effective. I should put the potty card up on his schedule more often as well.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#7 of 7 Old 01-17-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Thanks for your replies. I started with the naked trick, actually, and it usually worked. Then he started wanting to go out naked, all the time. So I was back to pants - he rarely wears undies now. Just britches.

I think I may give the timer thing a try. If that doesn't work I'm just going to go back to diapers. Probably pull-ups. He had an absolute melt-down at one point a few months ago when I tried to put a cloth diaper on him. But he'll accept a pullup.

I'm still feeling really disheartened after yet another day a really wet pants. Going to try the timers tomorrow - maybe it will work. I use timers for other things and often they are effective. I should put the potty card up on his schedule more often as well.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page