Socks without Bumps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping some moms of sensory kids can chime in....

We literally spend 15-30 minutes each morning trying to find socks that are comfortable for my 6yo ds. He goes into total anxiety attack melt-down when his socks have "bumps". Going without socks simply isn't an option as we've ruined several pairs of shoes that way. I trim all the bumps I can out of his socks, we try them wrong side out, his shoes are 1-3 sizes too big etc. Nothing really works.

Anyone have any recommendations for a brand of socks that are smooth inside and out?
#2 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 PM

I was this way as a child and ds is like this with sleeves and some onesies. Turn the socks inside out. If you stick with solid colors than you will not be able to tell that they are inside out.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#3 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 PM

By 'bumps' do you mean the non-slip stuff on the bottom or the seem at the toe. I found many socks w/o the non-slip stuff and with a tight weave so the fabir itself doesn't feel bumpy. As far as the seem at the toe, as a pp mentioned I also turn them inside out.

(I think I purchased socks most recently at Kohl's.)
#4 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, by bumps I mean bumpy seams. As mentioned in my op, we do try turning them inside out...it doesn't work for him.
#5 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 01:39 PM

http://www.therawear.com/store/kids_socks.html

http://www.storesonline.com/site/547...FTgrOAodjwlCpQ

http://www.amazon.com/TicTacToe-Seam.../dp/B000B8ZG3C

there were other results, try googling "seamless socks"

My dc works with just turning them inside out--can't imagine what life would be like if that didn't work!! HTH!
#6 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 02:04 PM

For the longest time my ds would only wear socks from Carter's (and not just socks from Carter's- it had to be a certain kind of sock from Carter's). I would drive to the outlet mall when they were on sale and buy them in bulk I don't know what it was about these socks. They were just softer and... whatever. Something made them ok in his mind, as opposed to the dozens of other kinds we tried.

Now, thankfully, he'll wear just about any sock. But I remember those days very well....

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#7 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 02:20 PM

My 9yo son has this same issue! Turning them inside out doesn't work for him, either.

Now that he's older I've let him go with me to the store and pick out his own socks. He spends forever looking at them and rubbing where the seams are until he settles on a brand he likes. It isn't foolproof, but it usually works.

Even with that there is usually only one or two pairs he will wear at any given times. Socks that were fine two weeks ago might not be okay today.
#8 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmBnB View Post
Sorry, by bumps I mean bumpy seams. As mentioned in my op, we do try turning them inside out...it doesn't work for him.
Sorry, I didn't notice you already tried inside out. I found socks with un-noticeable seems but cannot remember where. (Iused to pick them up everywhere looking for the 'right' sock.) Like mam2xan...it was Stride-rite
#9 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 PM

I found some seamless socks at Stride
Rite. They have also stayed soft and stretchy.
#10 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 04:41 PM

does he need socks? our oldest hates socks (which is crazy to me cause i loooove socks). he'll be the kid in sandals/crocks when it's cold outside.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#11 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 05:00 PM

My son goes sockless as often as he can. I HATE the dirty shoe smell but he's much happier. I also buy the socks waaay small, he likes how snug they feel and there's no bunching up and all that jazz.
#12 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 PM

My dd currently is completely refusing socks. She says they hurt her feet. She used to only wear certain socks. I got them at Wal-mart I think they were $7 for 10 pairs. The seam is so flat, I'm not sure which way is inside out or right side out. I'l l check it out next time I'm there and let you know the brand.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#13 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

i go without myself or buy those microfiber ones in the women's section. i plan to get some for ds as soon as his feet get big enough. your question made me think of maybe getting girls tights and just cutting the legs off and using the foot part. you could turn them inside out. that might be a low cost alternative.
#14 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 07:27 PM

It was a wonderful day when my son found cycling socks. They are synthetic but he loves the way they feel on his feet and they dry so quickly.
#15 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great ideas!
I never even thought to google "seamless socks" doh! I google everything else

I have had him pick out his own socks and spends a lot of time examining them...but they never seem to work out when he gets home.

They have to wear sneakers at school or they don't get to play in gym class - which they get daily at our school. We tried the crocs route (crocs are a dream shoe for clothing sensitive kids!) and have him switch at PE time but the teacher was at wits end with him and he was at wits end as well. If I can just get him in shoes in the morning, he's good for the whole day.

I really wouldn't mind the no sock deal but the stank destroys shoes. We can't afford him to go sockless You know, I poured straight bleach in a pair of his stank nasty sneakers this summer (after trying every other more gentle method of stank removal) and even that didn't work!!! His poor poor future partner!
#16 of 16 Old 01-19-2008, 01:16 AM

my 9yo dd would go nuts if she could feel bumps in her socks- and she is my "typical" child! We found that the thicker "sport socks" tended to have less bumps. Also, she would pull the socks up very tight while we tied the shoes, snugly, so she could feel it less.
Luckily, she grew out of it, but she is still picky about how her shoes feel.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page