Strange booty question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this doesn't break any rules, but I have a question about my dd's behind. She is normal in every way that we can tell in that sense, except that it looks like the "crack" extends up further toward her back. What I mean is that, at the top of her booty, there's a place where the skin looks like the beginning of her back and then, just a few cm above that, there is an opening again. It doesn't go very far, maybe a half an inch or so.

Anybody heard of this or seen it before?

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#2 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 03:23 PM

My dd has something called a sacral dimple, which sounds like what you're describing but hers is right at the top of her butt crack, kind of like a little hole. I've been told it's harmless. I know they can possible indicate a problem with the spinal cord but in our case that isn't true. How deep is it?

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#3 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 03:27 PM

My ds has a very deep sacral dimple and a v shaped butt crack. His ped ordered an u/s when he was 1 month old. It was normal.

I would point it out to your ped at your next visit.
#4 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 03:39 PM

: i have exactly what you are talking about, my mum had a cute nickname for it....... its harmless from what i can tell, I dont have any problems from it or connected to it.
#5 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 03:40 PM

I would definately have it checked out. A sacral dimple can be a marker. Just like a Hemangioma, or hair at the base of the spine.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sacral-dimple/DS00753

Quote:
In the vast majority of cases, sacral dimples are harmless and don't require treatment. Rarely, a sacral dimple may indicate a serious underlying abnormality of the spine or spinal cord.
For the record. My daughter was born with a Hemangioma at the base of her spine. We were told she was fine and it would get bigger and then go away by the time she was 5 or 6. Uh, no. That is not the case for us.

So please, I urge you to check on it and don't take your Peds word that its nothing. Thats what our old Ped told us and she was absolutely wrong. :

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#6 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Once again. I will definitely have it checked out. Thank you Kat, for the link. It had a picture that confirms that that is exactly what she has.

Now, something else for me to worry about.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#7 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 06:34 PM

mines not that far apart, mines directly after the crack, and pretty deep. So maybe i have something different.
#8 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkiwendy View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Once again. I will definitely have it checked out. Thank you Kat, for the link. It had a picture that confirms that that is exactly what she has.

Now, something else for me to worry about.
Just look into it.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#9 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Both me and my dd have sacral dimples, so far we are both fine. I hope it's nothing.
#10 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 06:52 PM

My dd has the little dimple.. I never knew what it was called though.

I remember when she was born I thought she had 2 holes, It kinda freaked me out.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#11 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 07:10 PM

my son has one too. We were told that since it was at the top of his butt crack (kind of like his crack stops, then starts again) that it's okay. They said they aren't really concerned with them unless they are more on the tailbone.
#12 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 07:25 PM

I would imagine that it was checked at birth. Both my kids have it (so does my dp) and the midwives gave them a pretty thorough going over. My dd had an ultrasound to make sure that it was "closed" and not open to the spine, but visual examination was sufficient to determine that ds's was OK.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#13 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
or hair at the base of the spine.
ds has hair at the base of his spine....he has hairy shoulders too though.....

eta - googling it i don't think jet's is anything to be concerned about. he has alot of back/shoulder hair, so a tuft there doesn't seem that abnormal. we'll mention it to the doc anyways.....

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#14 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
DH and DS1 both have sacral dimples, but from what I can tell by looking at the picture, they're not as deep as what's shown there. DH has no issues, and the ped checked it and said that it wasn't anything to worry about. I'm interested to learn more about it now though...

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#15 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
ds has hair at the base of his spine....he has hairy shoulders too though.....

eta - googling it i don't think jet's is anything to be concerned about. he has alot of back/shoulder hair, so a tuft there doesn't seem that abnormal. we'll mention it to the doc anyways.....
yeah, i got scared for a second there too, ds is a little werewolf!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page