Friends - Do you also find it difficult - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-28-2003, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to keep friends??

I have a really hard time maintaining and keeping friendships. It seems that they don't understand the difficulties and sacrficies we have to make having a special needs child. I don't have a lot of time to myself let alone doing things with friends. I also realize that some of it is my fault - I tend to think that they worry over things that are so silly. I guess with my DD's health problems I have found that somethings are not worth wasting my energy worrying about. And I am sure I talk a lot about my DD, but I do try to make an effort to not discuss her all the time and talk about them. Most friendships start off great, but then it seems to fizzle fast. Maybe I am too needy. I really do miss not having friends anymore. Thank goodness I have my husband.

Any advice or personal experiences????

Melinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Banned

I also find it hard to start, keep and develop friendships. Oh well.
#3 of 3 Old 08-29-2003, 06:44 AM

I have *never* had many friends. Usually only one or two at a time. I was okay with that.
Nowadays it's pretty much just me and my husband.
But I do *wish* I had local friends... or even jsut one or two :-)
But it seems like it takes *way* too much energy.
I went to a coffee-group meeting for other moms of 3 year olds recently. I felt *so* out of place. Like a Martian, or something.

I did meet one other mom there who I clicked with, and she felt the same.
Come to find out, we both have special needs kids, and both were raised by abusive moms. So we were happy to find one another, and it looked like a promising start to a good friendship, but now she's *moving*!

I also have Asperger's syndrome, so a lot of times I just find it a lot easier to keep in touch with people online. I don't get all confused by the face-to-face interaction, and can concentrate more on the actual communication.

It helps, but it's not like having a friend you can actually hang out with.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page