poor muscle tone - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
started OT tuesday. the therapist said my son has low muscle tone. i never noticed it but he really does in his upper body. she sad it's tot he point that it might explain difficulties he has tracing things in pre school and why he's so darn clumsy. he eats more than enough and is VERY active so i just didn't worry but now i kind of am. what do you know about low muscle tone and what causes it in kids who are so well fed and so active?
#2 of 7 Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 PM

My son has lowish muscle tone. His cause is metabolic. But he was certainly not active (lethargic actually).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 7 Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 PM

My son has low muscle tone, he presented with it at birth. His is from an unkown cause.

You can do a search on hypotonia and read up on it.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-24-2008, 01:34 AM

Hypotonia (low muscle tone) has nothing to do with how well fed or how active one is. Here is a pretty good explanation of what true hypotonia is:

Quote:
Muscle tone vs. muscle strength
The low muscle tone associated with hypotonia must not be confused with low muscle strength. In body building, good muscle tone is equated with good physical condition, with taut muscles, and a lean appearance, whereas an out-of-shape, overweight individual with fleshy muscles is said to have "poor tone." Neurologically, however, muscle tone cannot be changed under voluntary control, regardless of exercise and diet.

In an article by Diane E Gagnon, M.Ed., PT,[2] she explains

"True muscle tone is the inherent ability of the muscle to respond to a stretch. For example, if you quickly straighten the flexed elbow of an unsuspecting child with normal tone, the biceps will quickly contract in response (automatic protection against possible injury). When the perceived danger has passed, which the brain figures out really quickly once the stimulus is removed, the muscle then relaxes, and returns to its normal resting state.
"...The child with low tone has muscles that are slow to initiate a muscle contraction, contract very slowly in response to a stimulus, and cannot maintain a contraction for as long as his 'normal' peers. Because these low-toned muscles do not fully contract before they again relax (muscle accommodates to the stimulus and so shuts down again), they remain loose and very stretchy, never realising their full potential of maintaining a muscle contraction over time. "
#5 of 7 Old 01-24-2008, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

thanks. actually, before i posted i googled it and found such scary stuff that i had to look away. i kinda needed to hear people say "my kid has that" and not have it be some rare form of juvinal onset taye sachs. this is some useful info. i wonder about metabolic disorders as he never seems to gain weight and is starting to look unhealthy. how do you have it investigated?
#6 of 7 Old 01-24-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarkingbird View Post
thanks. actually, before i posted i googled it and found such scary stuff that i had to look away. i kinda needed to hear people say "my kid has that" and not have it be some rare form of juvinal onset taye sachs. this is some useful info. i wonder about metabolic disorders as he never seems to gain weight and is starting to look unhealthy. how do you have it investigated?
Well actually hypotonia in and of itself isn't really anything scary. My ds was mostly just delayed he didn't walk until 22mos. He is still pretty significantly behind in his gross motor skills too.

A pediatric neuro can run metabolic testing.. If you have concerns I would adress them to your ped and have them point you in the right direction. It is pretty standard for kids who present with low tone to undergo an MRI first and some blood work to check for neuromuscular disorders.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#7 of 7 Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 PM

Reassurance wise--I've got lowish muscle tone too. I've done fine in life. But I will say that my son's metabolic doctor told me that he thinks most benign looking hypontonia (google benign hypotonia; that might be less scary) is actually probably a mild metabolic thing that hasn't yet been identified. So in other words he thinks I likely have a metabolic condition too but milder than my son. I think he's probably right.

On the metabolic stuff; here's a post I made about symptoms. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=734501

How old is your kiddo? Is he staying on his growth curve?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page