Age Equivalence scores for PLS-4? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you know where I could find an age equivalence chart for the Preschool Language Scale Fourth Edition (PLS-4)?

My son's speaking vocabulary is the age equivalence of 2 years 11 mos and his speech is the age equivalence of less than 2 years. My son is now 4 years 8 mos.

I was wondering what his auditory comprehension and expressive communication age equivalence is. He received a standard score of 86 and a percentile rank of 18 for auditory comprehension which places him one
standard deviation below the mean. He received a standard score of 82 and a percentile of 12 for expressive which also places him one standard deviation below the mean. His total language score was 82 with a percentile rank of 12 which places him one standard deviation below the mean.

At my son's 3 years 8 mos evaluation at his private ST he was found to be at 2 years 10 mos. The newest report says he is 2 years 11 months. His report said he had a mild vocabulary deficit and now he has a mild to moderate vocabulary deficit? Is he getting worse?
#2 of 3 Old 02-08-2008, 11:40 AM

Hi. I'm an SLP, but on maternity leave and don't have access to my PLS-4 manual. On all standardized tests, the standardized score is much more accurate than the age equivalence scores. It's tempting to use age equivalence scores b/c they are easy for parents to understand, but they do not have good statistics behind them. If I were testing your child, I might look at all of my data (observations, interviews, tests, etc.) and say that most of his language developments "clustered in the x-y year old range but he had scattered skills in the y-z range." Classifying the language delay as "moderate" or "mild-moderate" is a subjective professional opinion. I wouldn't worry too much about the label. When I give the PLS-4, I list the language skills that the child passed and failed in each age group and give the list to the parents. We talk about how the parents can enrich the child's language stimulation at home and what specific areas would be good to work on first. This is not "teaching the test." It is working on specific language development like understanding and using colors, numbers, size, shape, prepositions, etc. You might ask your SLP for more specific info like that. I think the Hanen Center is very helpful in showing parents how they can model language for their kids. One of the best things you can do is to make expanded comments about whatever your child is talking about. If he sees a motorcycle, say, "That was a really loud motorcycle."
#3 of 3 Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 PM

I echo what the PP said. Look at his specific abilities and areas of difficulty on the test.
If you really want to know age equivalents, I can give them to you, but only if you have his *raw* scores, not his standard scores.
But really, the percentile ranks are, in my opinion, the most useful scores for a quick snapshot of his language. If there were 100 kids in a room, your son would speak better than 12 of them.

Me , him , and the two most beautiful little lovey girls in the world: 3/08 and 1/10. Planning our escape from the treadmill!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page