We got security called on us at Target - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2008, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we were at Target, a place we cannot leave without spending $40 on crap. DS, as per usual had found a toy he wanted to play with and was doing so. It was a very large dump truck that he was pushing.

Along comes disgruntled employee: Gloria, who was obviously annoyed because it was her job to straighten up the toy section.
"Not safe". "No truck"

Of course I reverted back to my teen self and tried to pull Jet away ENRAGED, and of course with Jet screaming.

Well my wife came and I explained it to her why Jet was crying, and she was like ok, we will go play with the truck.

So they were playing for about 1 minute before Gloria came back. Said "Ok NO MORE TRUCK" and ended up trying to PHYSICALLY TAKE THE TRUCK. My wife deflected her arm and then said "I don't have a problem with him playing with the truck, if you have a problem you need to call a manager so I can talk to them." to which the crafty Gloria replied "I will call security and they will kick you out" My wife was in full on "Bring it on" mode now and said "Great, call security please". So Gloria called security and walked away. The security guard came up and my wife explained (ds is still playing with the truck) and the security guard said he didn't understand the problem either and left. Gloria who saw this from a little ways away came over to gloat and then DS of course was still playing with the truck, she indignintly gave a nasty look and walked away.

So of course by then I had recovered from my frustration and had time to focus. I got her name, went to the front to talk to a manager.

So the carefully worded story to the manager was this:

"Hi, I need to talk to a manager about an employee harassing my children." Of course everyone was horrified by it. I pre-emptivlty took away any excuses by saying that I understand how frustrating it is to clean up the toy isle and have kids there messing with the toys, but if you go back there and look, once we were done we put the truck back. And besides it is never really apropriate to take it out on the children. We mentioned her physically attempting to take the toy from my autistic son. Maybe we should not have pulled the autistic card, I mean his neurology has nothing to do with how he should be treated with dignity, but if you play that card, there is no chance of just comming off like crazy protective/permissive parents. Anyway when everything was said and done we got sincere apologies, and that is all we really wanted, that and someone to know that maybe Gloria is incompatible with the toy section.

The funniest thing is that after we the pressure was off, Jet didn't want to buy the truck (we wanted to) but he put it back and picked out some $4 care bears instead.

Needless to say, we will probably be playing with the truck again next time. And I will remember to stand up to unreasonable people next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 12:02 AM

Wow that is crazy! Good for you for sticking up for your ds!

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 02-18-2008, 12:06 AM

That sucks!!! I work in the childrens department at Barnes and Noble and the kids there play with the books and the toys every single day. And yes I have a gigantic mess to clean up most of the time. That is why I'm there. That's what they pay me to do. Aside from helping people find books, we all have to put stuff back that customers look at and make sure the store looks good before we leave for the night. Welcome, Gloria, to the world of retail. Quite frankly I think it was very kind of you to even make sure the truck got put back, as there are a million and one people who don't even do that. Once again, it's part of the job. And for someone to assume they can tell a child to stop handling merchandise is unthinkable and totally inexcusable. I applaud you and your wife for remaining so calm. I'm not sure I could have reacted the same way.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
Old 02-18-2008, 12:24 AM

Oh my! I think I agree - Gloria does most definitely not belong in the toy department!

ETA: I think you guys handled it incredibly well.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:41 AM

Mean people suk!

Good for you for standing up to ds.

Mary:

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:51 AM

I hate encountering people in the toy section, because quite frankly they often are rude, or abrasive. This story, though, is pretty extreme given all the circumstances. I think you all handled things correctly, and by then going up to the managment and saying what happened. People can't change if they don't know better!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:59 AM

The irony is that she tried to get you away from the truck by saying "not safe". Doesn't that make you want to rush out and buy that toy for your child?

Methinks Gloria ain't so hot in the toy department.

Good thing she doesn't work at Toys R Us - she'd have a cow every 30 seconds!

Good for you for standing up for your son.

Martha
Old 02-18-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post
The irony is that she tried to get you away from the truck by saying "not safe". Doesn't that make you want to rush out and buy that toy for your child?
yeah, that was my first response - 'if it isn't safe they wouldn't sell it to kids.' then she said 'it's not safe in the store'. jet was kneeling and pushing it in front of him while he scooted. i said 'if it wasn't safe for kids to play with in the store they wouldn't have it just out unpackaged on the bottom shelf'. that's when she decided it was pointless to talk to me about it and decided to just wrestle it away from jet (i assume - she just lunged at him for whatever reason and i put my arm up in front of her to stop her - no way . that's when i said again 'look, i don't think this is a problem, and if it is against store policy then you need to call a manager over here for me to talk to.' that's when she said she was going to call security to have us removed from the store. so she did and then when the security guard got there she walked away. i don't think she heard what he said (basically - it seemed fine to him and he didn't know what the problem was.). like peter said after he walked away she walked over to us smiling. she put out her hand towards the truck like for us to hand it over? jet just kept on scooting (he had been this entire time - he is pretty indistractible when he is 'on task'. i just ignored her and eventually she went away.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 AM

oh that is fabulous!

who pitches a fit about a kid in the toy department playing with a toy?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 AM

I am really seeing my own toddler here in this scenario, playing with a truck while some crazy tries to take it from him. HAH. Toy department = mess. Not your problem that Miss G was assigned the messy department.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 AM

Wow, that is crazy.
Good for you both for standing up to her!
I think we have all been guilty of doing or saying something we wish we wouldn't have when we have been put in that situation. That's ok, you made up for it!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:22 AM

I think you guys handled it well, sticking up for Jet while still being respectful to a very rude person. Not sure how you did it. I also have to say I do not buy a toy for my child unless she has played with it for at least 10-15 minutes. I have friends who do the same thing. We have too many toys that they toss aside after 5 minutes.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:33 AM
Banned

Sorry but I laughed. It's already been mentioned but ya gotta love the irony of the situation. Your off beat child does something seeming to be perfectly normal and he still gets his chops busted. Go figure- a kid was playing with a toy in the toy section.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
That sucks!!! I work in the childrens department at Barnes and Noble and the kids there play with the books and the toys every single day. And yes I have a gigantic mess to clean up most of the time. That is why I'm there. That's what they pay me to do. Aside from helping people find books, we all have to put stuff back that customers look at and make sure the store looks good before we leave for the night. Welcome, Gloria, to the world of retail. Quite frankly I think it was very kind of you to even make sure the truck got put back, as there are a million and one people who don't even do that. Once again, it's part of the job. And for someone to assume they can tell a child to stop handling merchandise is unthinkable and totally inexcusable. I applaud you and your wife for remaining so calm. I'm not sure I could have reacted the same way.
Former bookstore manager here. I agree with everything! WTG.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:44 AM

I'm glad your wife handled it so well. I hope you and I both can learn to handle confrontation in a better way. I am really terrible. I get angry and freak out. I can't even talk properly when I get upset. It's not pretty and really doesn't help the situation. Doesn't help that I stutter on top of all the autistic issues I have. I usually end up crying b/c I get so frustrated.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:09 PM

OMG, if that was the worst offense we ever had in Target! LOL! Seriously, ds dropped and broke a piggy bank, which I apologized for and the Target kid just was all "Oh, it's fine, don't let him touch it, I wouldn't want him to get cut." - b/c ds was trying to help clean it up. We've dumped hot chocolate on the floor in front of the Starbucks in our Target - they cleaned it up and made the kid a new one for free. I myself dropped not one, but two bottles of Vitamin Water in two different sections the other day and no one looked at me cross-eyed.

We won't get into when they put the bouncy balls out - Maura's a threat to society with those!

I'm glad you guys stood up for you and your kids. I hope Gloria gets moved to garbage duty or WalMart, lol!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM

good for you shaggy d!

i have worked retail, and yes, cleaning up is not fun, but - that's your job. full stop. what a mean lady to try to take a toy from a kid.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM

crazy woman, if dh had been in that position he would have read her the riot act! me to probably, I would have been......"excuse me, are you his parent, because last time I looked, i was, and i said he could play with the truck that we will most probably buy"

glad security thought it was insane and you complained to management
Old 02-18-2008, 03:53 PM

This makes me want to find out Gloria's schedule and have us all go there for an afternoon. Can you imagine what the toy section would look like if we all showed up with our kids??

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:37 PM

Oooh, a "play in". Like a nurse-in, only with tricycles, toy trucks and bouncy balls.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 AM

Good for you and momma bear! I've heard such horrible things about Target employees. I mean I know everyone has their bad apples but I seem to hear a new Target story each week.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:28 AM

Good for you for sticking up for your family without seeming like crazed lunatic. I don't know if I could have managed w/o a few profanities thrown in, depending on my mood.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 02-24-2008, 04:13 PM

just saw this and wanted to add a big

trying to mother my 11yo sweet skaterboy, 4yo stepgirl of the universe, this apocalypse babe-on-the-way, and my 36yo innerkid ...while figuring how to market myself, stay married, and murder my ego
Old 02-24-2008, 04:37 PM

wow

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
This makes me want to find out Gloria's schedule and have us all go there for an afternoon. Can you imagine what the toy section would look like if we all showed up with our kids??
Z and N would rock her socks.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:53 PM

How awful!

Sheesh, my kid puked all over Target one day (he wasn't even sick either--it was just a very warm day)--all over the shopping cart, floor, and a few pillows (which we then bought because it would be nasty to put them back on the shelf. LOL!). Within 2 minutes, there were 2 or 3 employees all helping to clean it up, and nobody said anything negative (well, one of them gave us a whole big roll of industrial paper towels in case it happened again and we needed to clean our hands off, but that's not really negative. LOL!)

I'm sorry your boy was harassed.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 11-14-2013, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My kids play with the toys at Target all the time.  Since both my sister and I used to work in retail, I can tell you that there is rationale behind the placement of each type of toy on the shelf.  Things that toddlers are meant to play and explore are put on the bottom shelf, at their eye level.  Expressly for the purpose of drawing them in and getting them to play with it.  Since parents see how much fun the toddler is having and then often buy the toy.  RC and electronic cars are a few shelves higher and encase in a box, this makes them not as much fun for toddlers, so they do not get broken, but older kids know what they are looking for.

I think Ms. Gloria overreacted.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
Old 11-17-2013, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wow, that was unreal.  You handled it better than I would have!

Contrast that with an experience I had in the Salvation Army one time last year--we went in there, and the toy aisle was an absolute disaster--looked like a whole daycare full of kids had torn it apart.  An employee was cheerfully cleaning up all the toys and putting them back on the shelf.  My son, who was going through a phase where he liked to copy people, joined her and starts giving her toys.  I gave her a look of commiseration and said something like "You've got your work cut out for you today." and she said, "I know, but I just let them be...who cares about the mess, they always look like they're having such a good time playing with these toys."  (I'd hire her a million times over)

User Tag List