Dog toys safe for kids? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 02-22-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Mods- please note that I put this here thinking that other SN parents have been on this quest too. Thanks!)

DS has been biting/chewing a lot lately. Today we went on a quest for safe, sensory toys for him to chew on. Of course, we checked out the normal teethers, but most of those he will chew through in no time at all (keep in mind- teethers are made for infants who are getting their teeth in/gumming- not a 4 year old boy with a full set of teeth and a powerful jaw!).

So then we hit the doggy aisle I did pick up a toy for him (bone shape with bumpy spikes all over it). I got it, but I don't know how safe it is for kids to chew on dog toys. Anyone know? And if it's not- where can I get some "teething" type toys for older kids? Do they still sell that star shaped teether where each of the tips vibrate when the kid bites it? I want that (I remember my 12 year old sis had one when she was a baby) but haven't been able to find it. May have to hit up Toys/Babies R Us this weekend.

ETA- they do still make it.... woo-hoo!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 PM

I remember my DS had that teether and at 8m he chewed through the plastic.

Check out the teethers made for older kids here.
#3 of 11 Old 02-22-2008, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my only concern would be that they wouldn't have the same safety standards required as far as lead and stuff in paints and whatever. of course, lately i don't have faith in kids toy's eaither.....

our kids have dog toys.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14

#4 of 11 Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 PM

Please don't. You have no idea what chemicals are in that plastic and the possibility of lead poisoning is great. I would urge you to shop a sensory catalog for appropriate teethers. If the child will chew on cloth that is another safe option.
#5 of 11 Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 PM

Check this thread for chewer info...
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=KimPM

Kim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12/2005, Pepper kitty
, and
10/03,
1/05;
#6 of 11 Old 02-22-2008, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
Please don't. You have no idea what chemicals are in that plastic and the possibility of lead poisoning is great. I would urge you to shop a sensory catalog for appropriate teethers. If the child will chew on cloth that is another safe option.
I have no idea what's in the plastic baby teethers I got him either. Knowing how many recalls I get from cpsc emailed to me everyday regarding childrens items.... I can guess though :

I already ordered a chewlery necklace for him and a green nobby chew tube, but they haven't gotten here yet. That's why I started this thread- I'm trying to find something I can buy NOW so I can curb the chewing NOW instead of waiting until the items arrive.

His OT did sell me a 2 ft section of stretchy chewy tubing that I made into a necklace for him. He seems to really like chewing on that. Unfortunately one of the daycare workers (doesn't work in his room, fortunately) made some smart ass comment about it today right in front of him I was livid, and set her straight (somewhat politely, as there were other daycare kids there too).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#7 of 11 Old 02-23-2008, 01:12 AM

NAK dont feel bad, my MIL bought my son a dog chew toy, but I DO rec. something from a catalouge.
#8 of 11 Old 02-23-2008, 02:14 AM

the catalog stuff might be better, but we use dog chews (carefully washed, of course). hamster sticks are also good, but only for a kid mature enough not to swallow the splinters. of course, we are not as concerned about the safety as some other families are--even dog biscuits are non-toxic.
#9 of 11 Old 02-23-2008, 06:19 AM

We had great luck with Ark Grabbers. They have a variety of them, textured and scented as well as plain, and we bought in bulk. The loop makes them both easy to hold, and easy to tie to things so they don't get lost as easy

I would highly recommend the XT ones (extra tough). Zane, and now my toddler, have both chewed them greatly and they barely show any wear.

ark grabber manufacture's website - the best prices I have seen, especially if you buy in bulk.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#10 of 11 Old 10-18-2015, 07:44 PM

Smile Toy safety standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
my only concern would be that they wouldn't have the same safety standards required as far as lead and stuff in paints and whatever.
This would be my concern exactly. While you can be sure that dog toys are at least inert and designed to be durable enough to avoid an easy choking hazard, they definitely do not have the same strict standards applied to children's toys by the CPSC.
Best to stick to CPSC approved toys. Ark Grabbers would be a good bet.
#11 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 06:20 PM

This site has a great selection of chewables!
Happyhands.toys

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page