Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks!
She is a lovebug and I love her so...

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Mary your daughter is ADORABLE. We have luck with putting a bummi diaper cover over even a sposy. It can help keep the poo in the diaper.

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 PM

You guys are correct. I asked the Ped when we were there this week about Miralax. He said it is perfectly fine for long term use.

Sorry to bring incorrect information to the thread. Just ignore my advice. I must have this confused with a different drug for constipation that I either read or heard about recently.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 03-22-2008, 05:26 PM

Miralax has stated themselves it is not for long term use. I question using any medication that just relieves symptoms and doesn't addressed core cause of the problem.

Natural Calm or Kid's Calm is ionic magnesium and works very well and gently. Most people are deficient in magnesium anyway.

Long term solution would be probiotics and investigation of food allergies/intolerances.

Esp. important to small kiddos is bifidobacteria that colonizes the colon such as Natren's Life Start or dairy free Bifido Factor. Any babe that has been on antibiotics (or their bf'ing mama) has problematic gut flora that can be the cause of food allergies as well as bowel problems and impaired immune system function.

It can take a lot of the right kind of probiotics to change gut flora, which also is influenced by diet. So if you think probiotics have not worked in the past, that doesn't necessarily mean that gut flora problems are not the cause. For example, gut flora weighs up to 3lbs in an adult, one tiny pill/day might not make much of a difference (and many probiotics are not reliable). To solve my own digestive problems created by way too many antibx before I got a clue, I prefer to make my own yogurt from super strains. HTH
Old 03-22-2008, 06:14 PM

I'm sorry, but probiotics and changing their diets isnt going to do crap for some kids with low tone and other intestinal problems, please remember before giving out advice in this forum that you are not dealing with regular children.

alot of the moms in this forum do not choose to use medications without trying other things first, and sometimes medications are the best solution.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
I'm sorry, but probiotics and changing their diets isnt going to do crap for some kids with low tone and other intestinal problems, please remember before giving out advice in this forum that you are not dealing with regular children.

alot of the moms in this forum do not choose to use medications without trying other things first, and sometimes medications are the best solution.
Thank you Mama!

You are exactly right. In our case, my daughters issues are complicated by nerve damage and she can't push it out on her own all the time. So it sits in there and dries out and hardens. Making it even more difficult for her to get out. There are many times I have to take Q-Tip and pry it out to help her.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 03-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Hmm, this thread sat quietly for about 2 weeks, wonder why it was awakened?

Regardless...gut flora and food allergies are indeed very common causes of constipation, however a vast majority of the kiddos here on the Special Needs forum are dealing with hypotonia, nerve damage, or something similar, and no amount of probiotics, prunes, water, breastmilk, etc will help. Unfortunately

Or, in my son's case, prunes and juice seem to work, but he needs so much that sometimes he eats almost no other food. He can't live off of prunes! So we're in the process of trial-and-error trying to determine what balance of prunes, fiber supplement, probiotics, etc might help. If we can't find it soon, we'll have no choice but to medicate. His digestive tract is just so slow and hypotonic...

I hope that Devon (OP's daughter) is doing better! How's the MiraLAX working?

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 03-23-2008, 03:13 PM

Or in my daughter's case, she requires a medical food and can't take the so called "natural" route since it would worsen her symptoms if not completely kill her over time (She would quit growing again if we intro'd one of her allergens...And probiotics free of them are a joke) - And since medical food has no fiber, she has to get it out somehow.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:25 AM

I just wanted to say to the mom whose ped was recommending going off miralax for an xray--you might want to research either a nuclear transist study or a Sitz marker study--in these you swallow something (plastic rings for the latter, haven't done the former, but it's supposedly even better) and the xray actually sees where they go. It can help distinguish between low overall colonic motility and backing up in the rectum due to bowel stretching. The distinction can be important and the main drawbacks are 1) you have to go off laxatives for 5 days and 2) the xray(s). So if I were going to take my child off laxatives and do an xray, I might insist on the test. Just something to investigate.

Sherri
Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 AM

My 10mo. babe was on this as well recently, although 1/2 tsp was enough to work. He's become crazy baby while on it though. Way too much energy, mood swings like mad, skipping napping altogether. A scary sight and he was miserable. We use it only as desperately needed, and do everything else we can for his diet. It just wasn't a good match for him, but it certainly was effective.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 PM

My sister's son has had chronic constipation problems since he was a baby. In the last year, the poor boy (now almost 4) would get so constipated that he would just lie around and moan for 2 or 3 days at a time. She tried making sure his diet was rich in fibre/ whole grains etc. He ate lots of fruit and vegetables. She tried giving him prunes etc etc. all the things you've probably tried. Finally, she asked his doctor what to do and he recommended mineral oil- the type that you digest (there are two one you digest and one you don't - just ask the pharmasist ) . She put a tablespoon I think in his milk each night and it kept him regular. I think it was something that was ok to do long term. She is in Canada - so I don't know if doctors in the U.S ever make that recommendation. Perhaps you could ask your doctor. If you want the specifics on the amount etc let me know and I could ask my sister. - I just talked to her and she said she thinks it was a tablespoon. She did it for a month and gradually decreased it and he has been regular since ( a few months). I should state that he doesn't have any other issues at all - don't know if this makes a difference for you.

She liked this option because it was "natural" without any medicines etc. She also as I said , found it very affective.

Hope this gives you another idea.
Tina
Old 03-25-2008, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am very anti medical. My son's bms were bigger than his arm from the time he was 6 mos old. (on a side note, I strongly believe his issues were a result of over exposure to bleach water at day care, as my daughter started having problems at the same time) We tried craniosacral therapy, chiro, reiki, mayan belly massage, herbs homeopathy, milk of magnesia, and eventually a very restricted diet. <y daughter responded to the diet, but my son did not. I was also giving him 2T each of coconut oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, and cod liver oil everyday. You'd think that would do the trick!!! I had to practice my doula skills on my poor baby more than I did on any woman! And it often took as long as a birth to get the poop out. We'd spend hours, it was just ridiculous and heartbreaking.We ended up seeing a ped. Gastroenterologist at DeVos Children's hospital. She said he had an enlarged rectum and put him on miralax. I HATED doing this, I felt like I had failed my child, but he has been on a full dose for over a year and he goes all by himself (at 6 ) and never has a problem. I don't want to do this forever, but we have to get his rectum to go back to normal size and then we can try to ween off it and see where we're at. It has been a blessing for us.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
Old 04-05-2008, 01:45 PM

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but provide accurate information to those who are interested and who may not be aware of other options.

If you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. And mainstream medicine almost soley relies on the hammer of prescription medication. I fully understand every mama who goes that route however, when faced with a extremely difficult situation. That doesn't mean other options cannot be helpful in addition or to aid weaning off medication.

Our gut flora is one of the main things which regulates peristalsis.

Food allergies are indeed a factor with bowel function, if not a major factor. Poop quality is a marvelous indicator of total health and digestive function. However, again, mainstream medicine doesn't look at digestive health, including things like proper stomach acid, digestive enzyme secretion, and gut flora as foundations of how the human body is designed to work correctly.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:49 PM

Mineral oil can also impair absorption of many nutrients, be careful with it.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Mineral oil can also impair absorption of many nutrients, be careful with it.
This would be true of any oil used in a quantity sufficient to make a substantial difference (usually 1-2 T or more with a non-absorbed oil, about double for flaxseed oil or something the body absorbs).

I'm curious, do you or anyone else happen to have a link to a study really showing the mineral oil substantially impairs nutrient absorption?

My son's gastroenterologist told us that people theorized for many years that mineral oil laxatives should prevent nutrient absorption, but studies have suggested that if there is any effect at all, it's very small, certainly not a significant concern. I got the impression there's not a definitive answer on that either way.

Sherri
Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM

I'd call your kids doctor, because they can give you a child's dosage for that kind of medicine. If you can't reach the doctor, then call the pharmacist. They can help you there. But, I'm guessing that you'd want to start small, like 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon.
I was on this for 2 years for severe constipation due to my birth defect, and from experience, if you take too much of that stuff, it will cause diarrhea big time! I was on the perscription form of MiraLax, which is the exact same thing as the OTC kind (just in bigger bottles to last an entire month). Eventually, the GI doctor discovered that only 1/2 of my large intestine was working, so they took the whole thing out and I now have an ileostomy (which is so much better than being in severe pain from constipation and bloating).

Jessie
Old 04-14-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I didn't mean to offend anyone, but provide accurate information to those who are interested and who may not be aware of other options.

If you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. And mainstream medicine almost soley relies on the hammer of prescription medication. I fully understand every mama who goes that route however, when faced with a extremely difficult situation. That doesn't mean other options cannot be helpful in addition or to aid weaning off medication.

Our gut flora is one of the main things which regulates peristalsis.

Food allergies are indeed a factor with bowel function, if not a major factor. Poop quality is a marvelous indicator of total health and digestive function. However, again, mainstream medicine doesn't look at digestive health, including things like proper stomach acid, digestive enzyme secretion, and gut flora as foundations of how the human body is designed to work correctly.
and once again, if you would look at the forum you are posting in, you would realise we are not deaing with "normal" human bodies or children. So if we use medications, we dont need advice on how not to unless we specifically ask.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:20 PM

How appropriate that this come back up today. I just had to pick ds up from preschool today because his stomach hurts very badly. He asked for his *butt medicine* ( a glycerine suppository). He's now in bed with daddy (who works overnights). I stopped by the pharmacy where my friend works to ask what she suggests. She's going to order the milk of mag chews for me. Until then we got some children's liquid colace. With as much pain as ds was in when we saw her she recommended the adult dosage for the next two or three days. I hate to see him in pain like this! There was very little warning that it was this bad, or at least, he gave me very little warning.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 PM

Our poopy issues have reared its ugly head here too. I think the dam broke today. Finally!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:56 PM

My daughters doctor put her on this when nothing natural worked and she was in pain. She is 9 months old and it is two teaspoons per 4 to 6 oz of water or juice not milk. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellacymom View Post
My daughters doctor put her on this when nothing natural worked and she was in pain. She is 9 months old and it is two teaspoons per 4 to 6 oz of water or juice not milk. Good luck!
Milk and cheese should be avoided with constipation.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:01 PM

Oh and I wanted to add that I have noticed that gripe water helped my daughter go for a while but it got to the point where she wouldn't go even with that. So maybe that is worth a shot.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:38 AM

Wow, I just found this thread!

Poop is my specialty!

DS began having bowel problems at a fairly young age, 12 months or so. He'd strain, cry, scream, etc. it was awful. Many times, DH and I would have to manipulate the area around his anus to try and 'shape' the feces so that it could come out easier.

When we first tackled the problem, it was after his x-rays (hip dysplasia) showed a huge amount of stool inside his bowels. Our pediatrician gave him a whole milk/molasses enema and it was absolutely amazing. The amount of poo that came out of that little boy was beyond astounding. Like nothing I could have imagined! After he was cleared, we started on the Miralax, mineral oil and flax seed. I used the Mirilax for maybe a month, but continue to use the flax (daily) and mineral oil (sparingly) to this day; 6 years later.

From my own experiences over the last 6 years (it is an ongoing problem with him and is all about prevention/keeping it in check), I'll continue to use the flax (daily, sprinkled on many of his foods), mineral oil (as needed, he doesn't mind taking it plain), continue the very specialized diet (for his bowels and other medical conditions) and keep going with water, water and more water!

Side note, when constipated children use the potty for #2, you should always have a small stool for them to rest their feet on. Their feet shouldn't hang or dangle. Doing this helps

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.

User Tag List