How long did you nurse your SN child? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 03-02-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all so much. That was just what I needed to hear. Basically, it is normal for us moms. So many people look at me like I am wearing a tinfoil hat because of the way I choose to raise my son, no circ, no vax, extended bf, etc.
I am just doing what feels right, you all reminded me of that. Thank You!!!!

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 03-02-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWhimsey View Post
mine is tubefed, so I didn't nurse him long cause he couldn't do it. But I did pump for the most of the first year and just tube him breastmilk. here is what it looked like to nurse him. not terribly effective. I really miss having a nursing relationship with him.
Mama, he is so stinking adorable!!! OH, I just love him to bits!!

I can see how that would be a very disappointing experience for you. My oldest (asperger's & spd) was much like that w/ the head bobbing. I had to physically hold his head to my breast and eventually he got the idea. I didn't realize it wasn't typical till now, and he's almost 8!

My dd (so far NT, but I suspect spd) nursed for 2y 9m when I forcibly weaned her. It was not working for both of us anymore and I just could not take it.

The baby is only 4 mos, so there are zero plans to wean any time in the near future.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#33 of 57 Old 03-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Unfortunately Emeric weaned just a couple weeks ago at 18 months. One day he just decided no more and pushed me away. I tried everyday for over a week and he wouldn't have it. I'm still really sad about it. :

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#34 of 57 Old 03-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Only three months ... long story.

With my DD (who is NT) I nursed to around 18 months or so. She was down to one-sided snacking and weaned around the time I got mastitis for the second time in two weeks. I didn't push her to do it.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#35 of 57 Old 03-02-2008, 07:14 PM

my DD is 39 months and we are going to try to finish weaning next weekend. She hasn't night nursed or nursed to bed in almost a year.

I really wanted tandem nursing to work out but it is not working for me. I had hoped to CLW but I don't think it's going to happen and I don't want the end of our nursing relationship to be strained and horrible.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#36 of 57 Old 03-02-2008, 09:34 PM

I'm still nursing DS, who has SPD, at 27 months of age. He's still going strong, day and night. The SPD affects his mouth, so occasionally he wants to nurse but when he gets on there he does the "gag" thing then decides he'd rather not nurse right then. I think that he still needs the nursing for both emotional and nutritional reasons. He is going through feeding therapy, but still he doesn't eat enough volume without the nursing.

Oh, and yeah, we also get lots of questions about when are we going to wean. It'd be nice to be at least night weaned, but he has such difficulty sleeping that it really helps comfort him at night. It's nice to hear there are others at his age and much older that are still nursing!!!

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#37 of 57 Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 PM

My little guy with ASD nursed the shortest time out of all the kids. He started to refuse the breast around 15-16 months old and I was crushed. I was pregnant with DD then and Im assuming he didnt like the drop in supply.
#38 of 57 Old 03-03-2008, 12:54 AM

I weaned my son, (who is undiagnosed, but goes to Developmental Peds this month) at 27 months because I mistakenly thought that the reason he was refusing foods was because he was filling up on breastmilk. I panicked and weaned him. Only to find out that he still wouldn't eat anything but pancakes. He's in feeding therapy now and has lost weight. His nutritionist for special needs kids wants me to put him on soy formula!! At almost age 3? He won't even drink cow's milk, rice milk, or soy milk, so what makes this doctor think that my sensory kid will drink formula?

I am so regretting that I weaned
#39 of 57 Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 AM

my dd had a bilateral cleft palate so nursing was impossible. I pumped exclusively for 21 months.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#40 of 57 Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSC View Post
I weaned my son, (who is undiagnosed, but goes to Developmental Peds this month) at 27 months because I mistakenly thought that the reason he was refusing foods was because he was filling up on breastmilk. I panicked and weaned him. Only to find out that he still wouldn't eat anything but pancakes. He's in feeding therapy now and has lost weight. His nutritionist for special needs kids wants me to put him on soy formula!! At almost age 3? He won't even drink cow's milk, rice milk, or soy milk, so what makes this doctor think that my sensory kid will drink formula?

Jess. You were trying to do the best by your son. Don't beat yourself up, mama.

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#41 of 57 Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 PM

sorry double post
#42 of 57 Old 03-03-2008, 12:20 PM

DD has Down syndrome and is 14.5 months old. She continues to nurse about 4 times a day. We'll keep going til she's ready to stop! She was a VERY sleepy newborn and had a crummy latch, but we persevered and now things are great.
#43 of 57 Old 03-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSC View Post

at 27mths i would try something like pediasure, ds wouldnt touch anything else or formula, but he did take the pediasure, that is now his full nutrition. And if he does like it, you can get a prescription from your ped and WIC will cover some of it FYI though, WIC will only cover vanilla.
#44 of 57 Old 03-03-2008, 04:36 PM

DD is 42 months and nurses at bed time. We just gradually weaned from nap time. It has only been in the last few months that she has stopped nursing during the day. No immediate plans to stop night nursing.
#45 of 57 Old 03-04-2008, 12:59 PM

JessSC said: "I weaned my son, (who is undiagnosed, but goes to Developmental Peds this month) at 27 months because I mistakenly thought that the reason he was refusing foods was because he was filling up on breastmilk. I panicked and weaned him. Only to find out that he still wouldn't eat anything but pancakes. He's in feeding therapy now and has lost weight. His nutritionist for special needs kids wants me to put him on soy formula!! At almost age 3? He won't even drink cow's milk, rice milk, or soy milk, so what makes this doctor think that my sensory kid will drink formula?
I am so regretting that I weaned "

Thank you so much for your post, JessSC!!! Your DS sounds so much like mine!! People have been telling me for MONTHS that DS now at 27 months is not eating because he's getting too much breastmilk. I've always felt like that's a bunch of garbage. I feel like he still needs the nutrition. Your story shows that I am right and should keep nursing!

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#46 of 57 Old 03-04-2008, 05:23 PM

I tried to breastfeed for months. Due to many factors (breast problems; massive infection from surgery; etc), It didn't work.

I pumped for six weeks but HAD to supplement with special formula (ds was born early with medical issues) or he would DIE. It broke my heart that I couldn't breastfeed. It broke my heart that my milk supply dried up at 6 weeks. I did everything that I could to keep my son alive and healthy.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#47 of 57 Old 03-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I tried to breastfeed for months. Due to many factors (breast problems; massive infection from surgery; etc), It didn't work.

I pumped for six weeks but HAD to supplement with special formula (ds was born early with medical issues) or he would DIE. It broke my heart that I couldn't breastfeed. It broke my heart that my milk supply dried up at 6 weeks. I did everything that I could to keep my son alive and healthy.

#48 of 57 Old 03-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Dakota still nurses maybe once or twice a week.

I had to start supplementing the babies around 2 months and when Lily went into the hospital at 4, the stress killed my supply. I was able to pump enough to feed her a little bit through her tube, but once she came home, I just couldn't do it.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#49 of 57 Old 03-04-2008, 06:41 PM

jet is 33 months and still nurses. alot. marvel is 18 months and nurses all day and night.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#50 of 57 Old 03-04-2008, 06:41 PM

DD was weaned to medical food right at her 1st birthday. We tried before to wean her to it, but she refused all bottles (I will never again NOT intro a bottle for this reason) and we eventually had to get a g-tube 3 days before her b-day so that she could have Elecare. In her case, it would have become a life or death situation as she could not survive on my BM due to such severe allergies (no matter how many diets we tried)...She had stopped growing for a few months by the time we weaned.
#51 of 57 Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 PM

I nursed Noah until he was 19 months when he kind of abruptly quit. I wasn't ready and was kind of emotional about it for a few days. He has DS and heart defects and we had a real rough time starting between his low muscle tone, lack of energy (due to heart), and nipple confusion from being bottle fed in the NICU. I pumped the whole time and he finally latched on at about 4 weeks old. We quickly got to the point where he was half nursing and half drinking EBM, but he really couldn't do EBF at that point because he would get worn out.

When he had his first heart surgery at 3 months, he had more energy and actually started refusing the bottle. Once he was out of the hospital he was EBF for 6 months.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#52 of 57 Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 PM

DS has PDD-NOS and nursed up till we mutually agreed to wean at 4.75 years old. DD is 2.5 and still nursing about twice a day.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#53 of 57 Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 AM

lo is 14 months and down to once or twice a day. i'm afraid it's going to be over soon and i'll miss it. i feel so lucky though that we were able to nurse at all, especially for this long, since it is difficult/impossible for so many mamas.
#54 of 57 Old 03-05-2008, 03:24 AM

DS2 refused to nurse after 1 week of nursing - I now think something was hurting him - his neck, back, palate, something - but at the time we didn't know what was wrong just that he screamed bloody murder every time I tried to nurse him. I couldn't pump enough, he got formula, and then got a virus and started refusing formula. Now he's on homemade formula from raw goat milk according to the directions in Nourishing Traditions and seems to tolerate it fine. I thought he had sucking problems, but turns out he was in pain. His seal is a tad leaky though.
#55 of 57 Old 03-05-2008, 04:03 AM

We really never had a plan to wean. My Aspie, at 3.5, decided that he was done. Personally, I think he got tired of sharing it with his brother.

My youngest is 3.5yo, so far NT, and still nurses.

I think that as long as its still a good thing for mom & child, then neither age nor physical size of the child are important.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#56 of 57 Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierdan'sMom View Post
DD was weaned to medical food right at her 1st birthday. We tried before to wean her to it, but she refused all bottles (I will never again NOT intro a bottle for this reason) and we eventually had to get a g-tube 3 days before her b-day so that she could have Elecare. In her case, it would have become a life or death situation as she could not survive on my BM due to such severe allergies (no matter how many diets we tried)...She had stopped growing for a few months by the time we weaned.

Mamas.

It is never wrong to refuse to let your baby starve.

As for us - just past 2yrs. When my milk changed due to being pregnant I was greeted one night with the dreaded "Blech" that signifies a food is no longer acceptable.

And for the OP - Nurse as long as you and your little one need/want to.
#57 of 57 Old 03-05-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
JessSC said: "I weaned my son, (who is undiagnosed, but goes to Developmental Peds this month) at 27 months because I mistakenly thought that the reason he was refusing foods was because he was filling up on breastmilk. I panicked and weaned him. Only to find out that he still wouldn't eat anything but pancakes. He's in feeding therapy now and has lost weight. His nutritionist for special needs kids wants me to put him on soy formula!! At almost age 3? He won't even drink cow's milk, rice milk, or soy milk, so what makes this doctor think that my sensory kid will drink formula?
I am so regretting that I weaned "

Thank you so much for your post, JessSC!!! Your DS sounds so much like mine!! People have been telling me for MONTHS that DS now at 27 months is not eating because he's getting too much breastmilk. I've always felt like that's a bunch of garbage. I feel like he still needs the nutrition. Your story shows that I am right and should keep nursing!

I have to say this has had me worried too. My son eats hardly anything but is healthy because of my leche. I too thank you for sharing your story.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page