The Epilepsy Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5yo son does a similar thing to what you describe, regarding the sitting up in bed, screaming and kicking. He's usually not responsive if you try to distract him. It took me a while to figure out that it was because he had to pee. So now what I do is take him to the bathroom kicking and screaming, (sometimes scratching and biting me) he will relieve himself, and then go back into a deep sleep. He also has a history of night terrors, and we suspect maybe ADD or something. IF i don't take him, he'll wet the bed, which is what made me suspect it was a bathroom issue, and I don't think he's actually awake when he has these episodes. Lately, I too have been wondering if it might be some sort of seizure, but I really think it's more in the realm of night terrors.

As to the pulling at his eyes thing, I have no idea. Is there any way you could get it on videotape? I think that will be best in helping the doctor make the decision. My dd has had some strange seizures in the night where she will look like she is picking at the air, or picking at her body, but there is always a sort of rythmic quality to it and you can tell that she isn't dreaming. She's also had other seizures where she's made strange faces, but like I said, there's always a kind of rythym or repetetiveness to it. So I don't really know. I would go with your gut on this one and see what the neurologist says. Even if they are just night terrors, I
m sure they'll still have some great advice for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 69 Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 PM

Thanks 3 Opihi - I'll have to take him to the bathroom during those episodes to see if that helps.
#63 of 69 Old 07-05-2008, 05:40 PM

Just an update from me - some of you had great advice in my other post and I wanted to put a little note here thanking all of you for sharing your stories, advice, experiences, etc.

The neuro dx'd my son with complex partial seizures and suggested Keppra to start. He said that for complex partial he likes to use Keppra or Tegretol but due to the other meds my son takes recommended Keppra. We started it on Tuesday and he's a bit grouchy (he's starting at .5 ml 2x/day ramping up to 2 ml 2x/day by week four) but tolerable.

One thing I did notice is the last two nights he slept through the night with no nightmares. He hasn't gone two nights in a row without nightmares/terrors in ages. The doc did mention that the Keppra would likely lessen the nightmares/terrors/sleep walking. I know its early but my son was so excited when he woke up today proudly exclaiming that he didn't have nightmares. Hopefully this isn't just a coincidence.
#64 of 69 Old 07-05-2008, 05:54 PM

That's great news! My son takes Keppra as well with no big side effects. Hope it works well!

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#65 of 69 Old 07-07-2008, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear it's going well so far! Keep us updated, please.
#66 of 69 Old 07-11-2008, 01:18 AM

Do any of you mom's know of some seizure medicines that are in liquid form that don't cause really bad sleepiness?
Now, this isn't for my kid, but for me. I have partial seizures and was on Tegretol XR before I had my large intestine removed. Now, I can't have any extended release pills. My neuro put me on Tegretol Suspension and it works good, but makes me exhaused 1 hour after taking it and I feel tired all day long. Heck, 2 weeks ago, I fell asleep during my volunteer job, which was a little embarassing. Angela kept telling people that "mama was sleepy becuase of the "bad orange juice"(Tegretol supension looks like cloudy orange juice and tastes like oranges gone wrong: I told Angela that my medicine was bad orange juice, so she wouldn't touch it).

Liquid medicines are absorbed easily in my body now that I have an ileostomy. If anyone has any suggestions, so I can bring them up to the neuro, let me know! Thanks!

Jessie
(single mommy to Angela, 3 years: and Emma, our angel in heaven)
#67 of 69 Old 07-11-2008, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Can you switch over to Trileptal? It is basically the newer version of Tegretol.
#68 of 69 Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 PM

i know trileptal and keppra both come in liquid.
#69 of 69 Old 07-12-2008, 02:50 AM

:

We are investigating epilepsy for Sweet Pea. We suspect parietal/and or temporal seizures. She can remember them happening for the past two years--she can give me the date they started. Smelling and hearing things that aren't there, visual hallucinations, strange physical sensations, etc. If epilepsy is confirmed, it would rule out schizophrenia. :

I hope, given her status, it is okay for me to post here. I know that kids on the spectrum have higher rates of seizure disorders, which adds to my suspicion.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page