Breastfeeding Baby with Cleft Lip and Palate - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my six week old, Alexander, was born with cleft lip and palate. He is unable to create suction at this time because of the cleft palate. I have been pumping milk for him and he drinks it from a Haberman Feeder by Medela. I am able to pump enough milk for about three or four of his daily feedings. He drinks Similac Sensitive formula for the rest of his feedings. He nurses several times a day for comfort as he doesn't get much milk at all. This also helps to boost my milk supply some.

My question is:

Has anyone else breastfed their cleft affected baby? Do you have any stories or words of advice?

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#2 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 PM

My LLL leader would suggest doing exactly what you are doing. Putting to the breast for practice and stimulation, but supplementing with bottles to make sure he's actually getting enough milk.

Sometimes, with a heavy supply, you don't even need to create a firm latch to get milk out. I'd think it would get easier as he gets older and his mouth gets bigger as well.

If I go to LLL tomorrow, I'll ask the leader for specific resources for you
#3 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 PM

Hi!

My son has 22q deletion syndrome, one of the hallmarks is a cleft palate and/or palatal dysfunction. Connor had a *lot* of feeding problems, he also couldn't create suction very well, he couldn't move his tongue correctly, the milk back-flowed up into his nasal cavity, and he aspirated thin and nectar thick liquids. He also had five frenulums connecting his upper lip to his gum line which didn't allow him to flare his lip the way it's supposed to to breastfeed.

He does not have an overt cleft or a submucosal, but probably has an occult submucosal cleft and/or velopharyngeal insufficiency (VPI). So while his physical issues are different than your son's, we still had a big struggle.

Thinking back on those first three months...man, what stress! He was hospitalized for failure to thrive, he was diagnosed with an extensive airway malformation, he developed severe GERD...and all along I was adamant that he would receive nothing but breastmilk. We did it, to this day he's had no supplementation of any kind, but it took a lot of work.

We also tried the haberman feeder, but his palate is very high and arched, so he needed a nipple that was larger, yet still slow-flow. I ended up with the Breast Flow bottle from First Years and loved it. He was able to breastfeed on the breast, but I always offered him a bottle of expressed breastmilk after a feeding session because sometimes he'd stop nursing from exhaustion not from being full. I also fed him in a fully upright position, tummy to tummy with him straddling one of my legs. This allowed his neck to be extended which opened his airway and gravity helped him transfer the milk to the back of his throat. I had to help him create a seal with my figers on either side of my nipple...because of his frenulums he couldn't close his mouth completely, and because of another cranio-facial abnormality he had (Pierre-Robin Sequence) his tongue and lower jaw were not quite in the correct positions.

I had an abundant supply, thankfully, and I would actually pump off a few ounces before feeding him so he'd get more hind milk (higher calorie, he was so underweight). I also would sometimes "skim" the fat off the top of refrigerated milk and add it to a bottle to "double up" the fat he got. Anything to get weight on him! He had to work so hard to breathe and to eat that he was expending more calories than he was taking in.

I have heard of prosthetics that can be used to seal off the cleft to help the baby create suction...but I don't know anything about them. Have you tried placing your finger to help him create suction? Since Connor's cleft wasn't overt, I'm coming from a different perspective than you.

Sorry I can't be more help!!!

By the way, has Alexander had any genetic testing done? Connor's syndrome very frequently involves clefts, in fact it was through the cleft palate team that he finally got his diagnosis. You should mention 22q to his drs to see if they recommend testing him for it. Is he otherwise healthy?

Congratulations on your baby! Good luck with his repairs...be sure to tell us when they are so we can help you through them!! This is a wonderful group here on this board!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#4 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 PM

I have no experience, but wanted to give you a and let you know that I am sure there are mamas on here that will have great advice for you.
Try the breastfeeding forums on here as well, there may be mamas over there with some advice.
#5 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 PM

No advice, but and congratulations on the birth of your baby boy! I love his name. Way to go on the pumping--I know sometimes that's not easy to maintain.

I'm on several adoption forums, and people often adopt babies with cleft lip/palate internationally. Of course not many adoptive moms choose to breastfeed, so I don't hear about that much, but people often talk about a yahoo group for parents with cleft lip/palate affected children. Have you found that resource yet?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#6 of 23 Old 04-10-2008, 01:08 AM

Without seeing your baby in person it is hard to give specific advice (I am a lactation consultant), but some things to investigate are an obturator to cover the cleft palate so that he can create suction and the possibility of covering the lip with your finger/s, depending on the extent of the cleft. The obturator is somewhat controversial. In some countries, babies are fitted with them very early, but in the US, they are not often used until later. I wish I could give more info, but this is not my area of expertise. Unfortunately, in my area, moms of babies with clefts are actively discouraged from nursing, so I haven't had the opportunity to work with any moms/babies. In seven years I have had just one call from a mom of a baby with a cleft palate.

A great resource though is kellymom.com. She has a whole section with links to breastfeeding a baby with cleft palate/lip. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bfhelp-cleft.html

The most important thing right now is to keep pumping - aim for 8-10 times per day. Frequency is more important that evenly spaced pumping sessions. Keep doing what you are doing putting the baby to breast to keep him working at it and comfortable with breastfeeding.

Best wishes to you!

ETA: More links that might be helpful to you:

http://cpcj.allenpress.com/cpcjonlin...A%3E2.0.CO%3B2

http://www.motheringfromtheheart.com...booklet001.htm

http://www.fpnotebook.com/OB/Lactati...lftLpOrPlt.htm
#7 of 23 Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 AM

Hi Hannah and welcome to Alexander,

My second daughter, Miriam, now a year and a half old, was born with a monolateral cleft lip and palate. Breastfeeding was tough at the beginning because she wouldn't even take the nipple in her mouth - I didn't have a lot of time to figure out why, because I was pumping around the clock and spoon or syringe feeding in the hope of avoiding nipple confusion.

In the end, we settled into a routine of Habermann bottle feeds, and 8-10 pumpings a day with a hosptal grade eletric breast pump (with a double attachment - it only takes 15 minutes of pumping per time, which eventually went down to 8 minutes 6 or 8 times a day).

If Alexander is nursing for comfort, then that is brilliant! Keep him at the breast as much as you can, and you'll see that he will get better at it as he gets older and stronger.

Have you thought of using a supplementary feeder (Lact-aid or SNS)? He would spend more time at the breast that way, and would help to stimulate your supply.

Check out the La Leche League website for some inspirational stories - from New Beginnings.

My daughter had her palate repair at 6 1/2 months. She was comfort nursing before then - had a full blown nursing strike for two weeks after her surgery -then, after much convincing and effort (I used a nursing supplementer and a silicone nipple shield to convince her to come back to the breast) she began nursing like she had been doing it all her life. She is still nursing now, at 1 1/2, and that makes all the effort worthwhile.

Don't worry if you can't manage to build up a full milk supply. There are only 24 hours in the day - do what you can manage.

Good luck to you and let me know if I can help,

Alice

#8 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

To 2boyz momma-

Yes, we had genetic testing and he was cleared for other syndromes. Apparently the clefts are just isolated anamolies. It's a good idea about using fingers to help craete suction. I will try that. I have had trouble getting himto breastfeed tummy to tummy. Did you do this from the beginning?

signcirc1.gif

#9 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
No advice, but and congratulations on the birth of your baby boy! I love his name. Way to go on the pumping--I know sometimes that's not easy to maintain.

I'm on several adoption forums, and people often adopt babies with cleft lip/palate internationally. Of course not many adoptive moms choose to breastfeed, so I don't hear about that much, but people often talk about a yahoo group for parents with cleft lip/palate affected children. Have you found that resource yet?
I haven't found that group on yahoo. I will check them out.
Robert and I have talked about adopting someday and I have a feeling it will be a child who is affected with clefts. Good luck with your adoption!

signcirc1.gif

#10 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

To Lactationlady:

I will ask my ped and plastic surgeon about the device. I have heard of it but no one recommended it to me at the hosptial or docs' offices. Thanks for the resources. Kellymom is a great site; I have used it many times already!

signcirc1.gif

#11 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Alice:
You have really inspiried me! I hope that we can get nursing down! It's cool that you all could nurse after palate surgery as our plastic suregeon has said that he should be weaned from bottles (now that I think about it, I wonder if that means nursing, too?). We have three surgeries coming up. His first is May 6th, it will be lip adahesion. The secong will be at about six months and that will be lip repair( the cupid's bow). The third and hopefully last with be his palate reapir at 12-18 months.

What is a lact-aid and SNS? I haven't heard of these. How does a nipple shield work or what is the purpose?

I pump for about 23 minutes about 6 or 7 times a day. I feel like I'm always pumping or feeding Alexander, you know? I use a Medela Symphony, which I love!
I take Regelan, Phenugreek, some caffiene in the form of a half coffee/half milk beverage in the morning, and eat oatmeal to help boost supply. Did you have issues with supply when you were pumping? Approxiametely, how much would you pump during a session?
Thanks so much for inspiring me!-Hannah

signcirc1.gif

#12 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 07:52 PM

I pumped exclusively for 21 months for my DD who was born with a bilateral cleft of the hard and soft palate. She also had other complications, and was extremely lethargic at birth and even once her palate was repaired, it doesn't function normally, so nursing from the tap was never an option with her.

Your schedule sounds good. I always pumped at least 20 minutes. For the first two months I pumped 8x per day, from there on, I moved down slowly, 7, 6 for a long time, probably untl a year old, then gradually 5x, 4, but didn't go down to 2-3x per day until I was getting ready to stop. I guess I had some luck with my supply, because I didn't have to supplement, but really I had a great pump (Ameda Elite) and just stuck to it. Literally. In the beginning, I actually had an oversupply, but over the months I regulated it so I had a day's fresh supply for her and a little extra to freeze.

Lact-aid http://www.lact-aid.com/

and SNS

http://www.selfexpressions.com/supnursys.html

If you think your little one has the potential to nurse, I would encourage you to use these as much as possible vs. the bottle so that he continues to understand he can get milk from breasts, too.

this is a helpful group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EPers/?yguid=231521343

and there is also a epers group here

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=462944

good luck.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#13 of 23 Old 04-17-2008, 07:38 AM

Hi Hannah,

Every hospital has a different schedule. My daughter was operated in Italy, where we live, but we travelled a long way to a 'breastfeeding friendly' surgeon.

Our hospital does a lip-adhesion at 15 days - not all babies need this, only for the wider clefts - lip and gum repair at 2 months and palate repair at 6.

Our surgeon used a special glue, after the lip repair, which helps protect the stitches and the wound didn't need any special care.

The Breastfeeding Answer Book - La Leche League - mentions studies that were done on breastfeeding immediately after cleft surgery - at our hospital, even bottlefeeding was permitted. You will also find information about pre operation fasting. My daughter was allowed to feed up until 4 hours prior to surgery.

Good luck.

Alice

PS. I have heard the name Mulliken, of Boston, mentioned frequently, amongst surgeons, but don't know any more than that
#14 of 23 Old 04-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
PS. I have heard the name Mulliken, of Boston, mentioned frequently, amongst surgeons, but don't know any more than that
we went to a consult with him. he's at Children's. we chose not to go with him in the end, one of the reasons being he wanted to do the tongue-lip adhesion, and we got a second opinion from Dr. Lewis at Mass General. I didn't like Dr. Mulliken's beside manner, or his nurse, personally. Maybe it was just an "off" day for them, but they misdx'ed Pierre Robin (my dd does not have this, and it's been confirmed- they insisted that she did).

She ended up fully repaired at 15 months with just two surgeries. However, Dr. Lewis can be very difficult to get an appt with. I'd still recommend Mass General Children's as an alternative to anyone who wants an 2nd opinion after Boston Children's.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#15 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Dear Hannah,

Sorry that I haven't had time to reply to your questions in your earlier post.

You may find it useful to contact a La Leche League Leader for personalised support - the Leche League also has a lot of useful resources:

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - for comprehensive breastfeeding info.
The Breastfeeding Answer Book - for more specific problems, including cleft lip and palate, babies who have to face surgery, pumping and storing milk, and lots more
Breastfeeding a baby with a cleft lip or cleft palate - pamphlet
Breastfeeding your hospitalised child - pamphlet

The Australian Breastfeeding Association also has an excellent pamphlet called 'Breastfeeding babies with Clefts of Lip and/or palate' - this one has an inspirational story of a boy who learnt to nurse for the first time at 7 months

You can check out the SNS feeder on the Medela website, and Lact-Aid on the Lact-Aid site. They are basically containers of milk (mother's or formula) which you hang around your neck, and then a fine tube goes into your baby's mouth along with your nipple. It is a great way to help your baby learn to nurse at the breast.

Nipple shields usually create more problems than they solve, but on the odd occasion they can help - it is best to talk to a LLL leader or lactation consultant first.

There is a thread in the breastfeeding forum about exclusive pumping, I think you would find a lot of advice there. I started pumping about 8 to 10 times a day to get up a full supply (about a litre a day) and sometimes managed to drop down to as few as six - but mostly it was about 8 times a day. I tried to get a full feed per pumping (about 120 ml) but sometimes in the morning I would get lots more, and in the evenings it could be down to 60. Remember to drink plenty of water, don't worry about how much milk you are expressing, and spend lots of skin contact time with your baby.

Some books about working and breastfeeding have good advice too - Hirkani's daughters is really inspirational.

Let me know how things are going.

Alice
#16 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 11:54 PM

My daughter Evie is cleft affected. She was adopted at 21 months and I didn't breastfeed her. Before her surgery she could not form a suction, and it is still fairly tiring for her. She basically chewed on her bottle nipples and soft spout sippy cups in order to get any formula.

Here are some resources for you. I don't remember right now, but I think at least one of the sites discusses breastfeeding a cleft affected baby.
http://www.cleftadvocate.org
http://www.cleftline.org/
http://www.widesmiles.org/

Here is the adoptcleft yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/adoptcleft/ They may know of some other resources for you.

good luck!
#17 of 23 Old 04-19-2008, 10:36 AM

My little girl with CLP is now 27, almost 28 years old. You are doing wonderful! Hang in there.
#18 of 23 Old 04-20-2008, 01:58 PM

Just thought I'd jump in with yet another online resource .....on ivillage.com they have a message board for cleft lip/palates

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppcleft

I don't know how active it is but maybe someone there can be of some help

congrats on your new beautiful boy
#19 of 23 Old 04-30-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone for your wonderful words of wisdom! i'll let you know how the first surgery goes!

signcirc1.gif

#20 of 23 Old 04-30-2008, 05:17 PM

Hi Hannah,

I'm glad to hear that you are still here - I keep checking from time to time.

Have you got a date for the operation?

Good luck,

Alice
#21 of 23 Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
people often talk about a yahoo group for parents with cleft lip/palate affected children. Have you found that resource yet?
Here are the yahoo groups that I found:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/cleftchat/
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/cleftclub/
and then there's:
http://www.ccakids.com/fn.asp

Big hugs to you. Hopefully, as of about an hour ago, we've left the cleft palate "club" through a successful repair. But, it's been a very long road. Feel free to pm me with any specific questions about the process.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#22 of 23 Old 05-01-2008, 04:26 PM

Dear Wendy,

Virginia has just had her operation? That's great. I hope she is feeling better soon,

Alice
#23 of 23 Old 05-02-2008, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice27 View Post
Dear Wendy,

Virginia has just had her operation? That's great. I hope she is feeling better soon,

Alice
Thanks much.

Yep! We're still in ICU, unfortunately. But she's been talking today! Well, talking is a bit of a stretch, but, she's making sounds, so I'm pretty pleased. Actually, right now she's snoring like a CHAMP (never heard that from her before!).

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page