Pretty sure 2 year old has sensory issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have posted before on here about thinking my 2 year old has sensory issues. Today's trip to the park kind of confirmed it for me. We went to the park, which has little rocks as the base, and Eliana was wearing her crocks. Well the WHOLE trip was spent with her freaking out and taking her shoes off because one teeny pebble got caught in her shoe. She wouldn't even set foot on the playground after awhile because she was scared of the little pebbles hurting her. Everyone was staring at us like we were weird because she would come to me crying because of the pebbles in her shoes and I would take them out and calm her down and the second she set foot on the playground again she would freak out. One time she actually made it to the little slide but when she sat down at the top to go down she started freaking out again about something touching her skin (not sure what it was) and wouldn't budge. So there were other kids lining up behind her and she's having a meltdown. Obviously I took her down. But I felt so bad for her because it was obviously it was really upsetting her. She kept saying the she was "ouchie". She has lots of other sensory issues too but just seeing her around all these other "normal" kids really made it clear. I am hoping it is JUST sensory issues because she is at high risk for bipolar disorder and sensory issues are a symptom of it. I have bipolar and major sensory issues. She has other symptoms of bipolar as well. But for right now we are going to just focus on the sensory issues so anyone have any websites or books they can point me towards that can tell me some things I can do to help her?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you live in the US you can call your state's early intevention program and ask for a referral for an occupational therapy evaluation. Occupational Therapists (OT's) are usually the ones who evaluate and treat sensory issues. Your peds or fam practice doc should know how to refer you if you can't find the number. You should also be able to google Early Intervention in your area to find the number.

Be sure to ask the therapist if she has sensory experience before she evaluates your daughter.

You are on the right track and are obviously empathic to her challenges which will help her tremendously.

A book that a lot of parents have found helpful for kids with sensory issues is "The Out of Sync Child" Usuallly available at public libraries.
#3 of 6 Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 PM

My favorite sensory book is "Sensational Kids". Your library should have it (or can get it on ILL). "Raising a Sensory Smart Child" has ideas for younger children like your daughter, and "The Out of Sync Child has Fun" is a good place to look for activities as well.

Here's a good post on some sensory things to try:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...7&postcount=18

Two good websites:
http://www.sinetwork.org/home.html
http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/

If you can hook up with an OT who knows sensory stuff, it can be a real help. I can't believe the progress our son has made in the last 2 years -- the child went from NEVER taking his socks off to running around the neighborhood without socks on last weekend!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#4 of 6 Old 04-23-2008, 12:23 AM

My son is 2 1/2 and we just found out that he has sensory disorder. Our pediatrician referred us to a speech therapist initially b/c he wasn't talking. The speech therapist immediately referred us to the OT for an evaluation. I also called ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) and had a second opinion evaluation done.
#5 of 6 Old 04-23-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Speech problems aren't usually a part of SPD as far as I know? Have they assessed your son for autism? Talking is definitely not an issue for my DD, she sounds like a much older child when she speaks.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#6 of 6 Old 04-25-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr2005 View Post
My son is 2 1/2 and we just found out that he has sensory disorder. Our pediatrician referred us to a speech therapist initially b/c he wasn't talking. The speech therapist immediately referred us to the OT for an evaluation. I also called ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) and had a second opinion evaluation done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Speech problems aren't usually a part of SPD as far as I know? Have they assessed your son for autism? Talking is definitely not an issue for my DD, she sounds like a much older child when she speaks.
We have a diagnosis of SPD and also speech delay. I don't know if there is a correlation, since we are new to this, but I am pretty sure our ST and OT mentioned there is. I would be very interested in comparing notes about our experiences.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page