SSI or SSDI child waiver? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-10-2008, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of the waiver thats based upon the childs disability and not based on Parent's income/assets?

We have been presumptiously approved for April and May. But since my husband starts his new job for June, we will no longer qualify. But were told by the caseworker for Medicaid we should qualify for this waiver thing.

Help, we are confused.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 8 Old 05-10-2008, 06:31 PM

The waiver is a Medicaid, not SSI, waiver. In most states, it's called the Katie Beckett Fund, but it may go under other names as well. Basically, if your child has complex medical needs that meet the criteria, they can qualify for Medicaid even if your income level is over the limit.
#3 of 8 Old 05-10-2008, 07:43 PM

Unfortunately, Katie Beckett medicaid is only available in like 19 states. I don't know baout the one you are moving to, but I know ours doesn't.
#4 of 8 Old 05-10-2008, 07:44 PM

However, just from experience, I've konwn kids who didn't qualify for SSI payments, but did qualify for the medicaid based on their disability? I'm not sure how it all works.
#5 of 8 Old 05-10-2008, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

We are in Montana now but will be moving the week after next. However,we are moving to Kansas.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#6 of 8 Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 PM

In some states -- or at least, in my state -- you can qualify for Medicaid through disability criteria even if you don't meet income guidelines. In our state, that eligibility would allow you to "buy in" to the Medicaid program on a sliding-fee premium. Depending on how much you're paying out of pocket for copays, therapies, meds, etc, it could be a big help.

I have no idea if this is available in all states, though.
#7 of 8 Old 05-11-2008, 01:41 AM

I googled something like "kansas medicaid waiver child", and goy this site, which looks promising:

http://www.srskansas.org/services/HCP-children.htm

From what I've heard from folks in other states, waiver programs can vary quite a bit. We're in CA, and people with developmental disabilities have a pretty good program here. My son has two developmental disabilities, either of which qualifies him automatically for our state's waiver program (Medi-Cal). It's an SSI program, but is not based on parental income or assets. As long as I can find providers who will accept Medi-Cal, I can get virtually all of Gabe's medical and therapy needs met through this program, and it costs us not a penny.

My daughter, on the other hand, has a disability that is strictly physical. Our state program that can help out kids like Michaela has several tiers: if we make under $40,000 per year, we qualify for medical care for her, OT, PT, equipment, etc. If we make over $40,000 a year (this figure is regardless of family size, btw), she qualifies only for free PT, OT, and twice-yearly visits with the physiatrist who prescribes her PT and OT. We can get further financial help if Michaela's medical needs for the year come to at least 20% of our annual income.

I hope Kansas has something that will be of help to you. It's sadly amazing how quickly costs can accumulate, especially if you have a child who is medically fragile or has a lot of equipment needs.

Hope your move goes smoothly!

Joni and kids, incl. Gabriel, 9, w/ autism and Down syn, and Michaela, 11, spinner in purple wheels
#8 of 8 Old 05-11-2008, 01:51 AM

There are different waivers depending on your State. Texas for example doesn't have the Katie Beckett waiver but we do have something called Medically Dependent Children's Program and one other one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page