Please describe the difference between DIR-Floortime therapy and ABA therapy to me! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2008, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 5yo DD with Aspergers. This is all new to me, and I'm trying to understand the differences between these two therapies.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 05:35 AM

Basically, the objectives of ABA are to reduce self-injurious behaviors, increase compliance with adult demands, and thereby improve social and academic skills, and speech/verbal behavior. The child needs to be directly taught to pay attention, imitate, and to comply with simple instructions. They use a lot of operant conditioning principles in treatment.

DIR is what I find most interesting. I believe it encompasses all areas of child development. Objectives of DIR are affect (emotion), social skills, interpersonal communication, self regulation and interest in the world, and capacity for emotionally rich experiences and meanings. Therapists following the floortime model usually use affect to lure a child into an interaction. Also, they set up social and emotional dilemmas so the child can respond to them in a more typical way..
Old 05-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Fay

This is a hot topic in this forum. Here are some recent threads that discuss it:

Value of ABA

Floortime vs RDI

Hope this helps!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
Old 05-11-2008, 01:38 PM

This link gives a little summary of the most common therapy methods. It covers ABA and Floortime.
http://www.autismweb.com/education.htm

ABA and floortime are very different in their foundation and approach. ABA is behavioral and floortime uses a developmental approach. I think the link above will help show the differences. But they are very different.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

User Tag List