Stainless steel crowns? (Yes another dental post) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-30-2008, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday the pediatric dentist felt my son needs two stainless steel crowns. He wants to have this done at a hospital. Before insurance and the hospital and the anesthesiologist (sp?) it's almost $2000. Blessedly my son gets $1500/yr dental benefits.

The dentist uses the same anesthesiologist (sp?) in his practice as his own children get (his 2yo needs tear duct surgery).

Ah I feel sick thinking about sedation. I dont like it either.

I'm going to review the course of treatment with our family dentist as my girls have their teeth cleaned in an hour.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4
#2 of 15 Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM

General anesthesia is very safe. Not without risks, but very safe.

I would just suggest to the dentist that he/she do any other work that might be needed while your DC is under for the crowns. Any fillings, etc.

You may also want to find out the cost of the hospital/anesthesia - I am not sure dental insurance covers that and it can be spendy.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#3 of 15 Old 05-30-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

and we're well versed in that since we had to pay rather a lot for my son's MRI sedation. It's not covered because you don't need sedation for a brain MRI when you are three years old don't you know? Apparently it is covered when you are having dental work however! (I have a different HMO with different *rules*.)
#4 of 15 Old 05-30-2008, 06:02 PM

Unless he has some particular medical condition that makes sedation dangerous, I would feel comfortable having it done in the hospital. Sedation in the dentist's office scares me more.

What I would be asking about is whether they will be using mercury amalgam to put the crowns in with. That would be a bigger concern for me.
#5 of 15 Old 05-30-2008, 06:56 PM

our daughter (3.5 yo) had general anesthesia at an out-of-hospital surgical center two months ago. putting her under was actually the easiest part - recovery when she had the IV and pulse ox taped to her (she HATES hates hates adhesive of any kind on her) was the harder part.

our health insurance covered the anesthesiologists fee, we only paid a copay for that, and we have dental insurance up to $1500 so we paid about $1200 after it was all said and done.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#6 of 15 Old 06-03-2008, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
Unless he has some particular medical condition that makes sedation dangerous, I would feel comfortable having it done in the hospital. Sedation in the dentist's office scares me more.

What I would be asking about is whether they will be using mercury amalgam to put the crowns in with. That would be a bigger concern for me.
Thanks everyone for sharing!
#7 of 15 Old 06-04-2008, 12:12 AM

Our DD had a root canal with a silver crown, and four fillings done with just Novocaine. The thought of that makes me ill. And not done at one time, on three different occasions and then had the rest of her teeth sealed, and has not had a cavity since. The Dentist we go to does not do GA, and at the time I thought she was too little (and we had no clue what was going on with her, not that we do now, but she is older) and I was too afraid to have GA done in a dental office (she was only 2).

I don't know why but GA totally freaks me out, although I did allow it for her MRI but I was scared to death until she was out of it.
#8 of 15 Old 06-04-2008, 12:39 PM

We went through the same agonizing decision, and decided on the anesthesia. It went well, even though I was a mess the whole time. By the afternoon she was back to her usual self.

It was after a long consult with a dentist who does in-office sedation that we made the decision to do GA. The in-office sedation does not knock them fully out, and novocaine is used to numb the gums. That means that the child is likely to bite his lips and tongue because it takes so long for the novocaine to wear off and they don't understand that they need to be really careful for the eight hours or so afterwards. Some kids need stitches to repair the damage from biting due to the numbing effects of novocaine. The in-office sedation would also most likely be combined with a papoose board, which we were totally against. Even though the dentist said "they won't remember a thing" afterwards due to the use of sedation, I couldn't stand the thought of my child screaming for an hour.

As to the stainless steel crowns, our dentist (the one who did the GA not the one we consulted with for in-office sedation) agreed that they are the safest in that decay is very unlikely to re-occur under a stainless steel crown. However, he wanted to use a mercury-free amalgram on the front teeth for cosmetic reasons and silver crown for the molars, so we went with that. Its been a year now (DD had the GA when she was two, now she is 3) and there is no sign of decay presently and she continues to have good checkups.
#9 of 15 Old 06-04-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Our appt is for this Friday at 9:25am.

My son got a physical this morning and we're set for Friday!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4
#10 of 15 Old 06-06-2008, 12:19 PM

I hope it went ok

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#11 of 15 Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 PM

Don't know how I missed this, but I hope today went well.
Gabe had to have a load of work done about two or three years ago. we did conscious sedation ( close to GA, but not quite there) at the dentists office and it went just fine. The problems we have had is when they tried to do mild sedation to repair crowns. Once they used demerol, which we discovered he is allergic to, and the other time they used versed, which made him flip out really bad when he was coming out of it. Of all the things we've used conscious sedation has been the smoothest.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#12 of 15 Old 06-06-2008, 04:39 PM

Well we did 5 crowns with GA and it went fine, when ds was 3. Hope it went well.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#13 of 15 Old 06-06-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

He slept for three hours after we got discharged so I was a little worried. After I said a little prayer he immediately woke up and went to the bathroom to pee. Prayer answered! He's eaten some dry cereal, apple juice, and macaroni and cheese. No vomiting!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 11 1/2, 10 1/2, 8 1/2, and 5
#14 of 15 Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 PM

Yes we didnt' have any vomiting either, ds was VERY hyper(pain meds/meds that are supposed to make you tired do the opposite for him for some reason?) they said: Oh, he will probably sleep most of the day. Uh, not my son.LOL He was running circles around me and eating everything in sight too. Glad you had a good experience too.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#15 of 15 Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 PM

no vomiting for us either, but catie didn't sleep either. I was sure she'd take a nap, we had to be there at 6:30am!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page