*sigh* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Browsing some people on myspace that I know and looking at their pictures, theres one of a boy playing the piano. It says, "My artistic son." and below that the father left a comment that says, "Don't you mean AUtistic? Hahahahaha"

:

I don't really care about the family, its just someone I happen to know. We're not friends. But the comment was just so.. argh. The boy is not autistic, therefore it was being used soley as an insult.

wasn't the best thing to read before my coffee.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Browsing some people on myspace that I know and looking at their pictures, theres one of a boy playing the piano. It says, "My artistic son." and below that the father left a comment that says, "Don't you mean AUtistic? Hahahahaha"

:

I don't really care about the family, its just someone I happen to know. We're not friends. But the comment was just so.. argh. The boy is not autistic, therefore it was being used soley as an insult.

wasn't the best thing to read before my coffee.
what an insensitive jerko!:

Don't let him or people like him get you down, mama. He just don't get it.
#3 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 10:38 AM

You ought to post pics in reply of your marvelous kiddos with the the subtitle: "My artist AND autistic kids! !"

Ah, I know, just a fantasy (maybe?).

It's kind of like how people so frequently say, "You're such a retard!" ya know? I certainly know I said it - even after my brother (Downs) was born. In the end, we just let it become a private family joke.

Seriously, though, I think you ought to gently tell your acquaintance that that kind of comment is insensitive.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#4 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned

i'm an art student. last semester my professors wife who heads up the art programs for the whole public school district came under fire. apparently her genuinely excellent program is being majorly cut so everyone can cram for the LEAP. that;s another thread. anyhow he kept saying artistic, they're not artistic. more like autistic. i called him out in front of the whole class. it felt SO good. i also mentioned that art programs are important to me both as an artist and as the mother of an autistic child as making and building things is one way we can communicate.
#5 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarkingbird View Post
i'm an art student. last semester my professors wife who heads up the art programs for the whole public school district came under fire. apparently her genuinely excellent program is being majorly cut so everyone can cram for the LEAP. that;s another thread. anyhow he kept saying artistic, they're not artistic. more like autistic. i called him out in front of the whole class. it felt SO good. i also mentioned that art programs are important to me both as an artist and as the mother of an autistic child as making and building things is one way we can communicate.
WTG!

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#6 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 08:02 PM

You know, a lot of people just do not get it.

I read a comment on another blog from a woman complaining about how those with special needs children get whatever they want from the school district, and then want more and how it upset her to see children at her daughters school having attendents and someone to change their diapers when her GIFTED daughter gets nothing because of the special needs children. WTF?

It blows my mind that people actually think like that! It makes me sad for my DD and any SN child that is going to encounter those types of people in the world.
#7 of 8 Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Banned

it does bother me but i don't see what her daughter being gifted has to do with it at all. being gifted is a special need. those kids do really need different instruction and standards and, if possible, to be in classes with one another. it truly is the thing standing between many of them and the kind of frustration that leads to drop outs and bad bad bad emotional problems. parents of gifted children do have trouble getting services their kids need. that outlook is cousin to the kind of oneupmanship i see at the OT center.

that said, there is a point at which i don't know how people could complain. are the kids in diapers supposed to just wait until 4:30 when the bus drops them off? should the teacher disrupt class while she does it? is that lady going to personally pay to have "those kids" homes outfitted with dungeons?
#8 of 8 Old 06-06-2008, 09:22 PM

Barkingbird,

I see your point about gifted children, but IMHO being gifted is not the same as needing an aid to help you through your school day. The woman's attitude was that SN kids have it "all" and it is so easy for us with SN kids and she seemed to be suggesting that many SN kids shouldn't be in school or that they were taking something away from her daughter.

In just the last couple of years, I have heard more and more parents talk about their children being "gifted" as if intelligence is the most important thing in the world, and it isn't and there are so many different ways of being "smart" KWIM?

If I did have a child that was gifted, I would never feel like any SN children at their school had more than they did. I sort of see that at the therapy center that we go to too, parents asking each other what services their child has, what school district they belong to, etc...and if you have more therapy for your child some parents get upset. I had one women really get in my face because DD had two PT's a week and her son only one. It can get crazy!:

Thank you for the input on gifted kids, I didn't see it that way at all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page