Are these little seizures or am I just being paranoid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-09-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been noticing these in dd almost constantly while she's sleeping. She has a history of partial complex seizures/epilepsy and is currently on meds for them. However, one of the side effects of her medication is increased generalized seizure activity. I'm not sure if this warrants a call to the doc or not. I did call about a month ago, as soon as we switched meds, because I had noticed this and the neurologist said to keep an eye on her and call back if I kept noticing it. ....So I guess I should probably call? I just want to make sure I'm not being paranoid and looking for problems that aren't there.

You'll notice the twitching immediately, then again about a minute later. The second time it looks like she's itching her eye....but even that's questionable because she's had seizures where it looks like she's itching/picking at her face, body or air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ_rhqsfhYA

I did ask my neighbor who is a nurse and she said it looked like dd was twitching in her sleep, which I agree with. Which is why I'm asking. Preceeding this video (before she fell asleep) dd was VERY grouchy/inconsolably crying which made me suspect she might be having something going on.

Also, the video won't be up for very long - I don't want her broadcast all over the place, kwim?
#2 of 9 Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 AM

I didn't see anything that definitely looked like seizure activity, but then again my own kids have had seizures that no one but us thought were seizures. YOU have the best gut insticts for her...if you're suspicious that something might be going on, definitely call the neuro.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#3 of 9 Old 06-10-2008, 12:13 AM

I watched the video of your absolutely gorgeous little sweetheart. I would definitely call. I think having access to this video will be invaluable to the pediatric neurologist. I felt alarmed watching it. If nothing else, you will get assurance that everything is okay. Or, you'll know interventions and changes are necessary.

Good luck.

Purple Cat
#4 of 9 Old 06-10-2008, 12:17 AM

I agree w/ROM. It doesn't look like a definite seizure to me but you should follow your gut feeling.
Many times I cannot tell when my daughter is having seizures. Half of the time I think I am paranoid thinking everything is a seizure and the other half I'm in denial convincing myself she is no longer having seizures - then she has an obvious seizure an slaps me back into reality.
#5 of 9 Old 06-10-2008, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. You all said exactly what I was thinking. Looking at the second tremor I don't think it is one - the first one, however, is definitely questionable. She does this all night, so I'll try to get some more video of it this evening. Hopefully I can get ahold of the neurologist tomorrow and email these off to her.

dbsam - I am exactly like you! I vascillate between being hypervigilant or in denial. And because dd has what people sometimes call temporal lobe epilepsy, often her seizures ARE questionable. Like half the time she'll just be standing there making a silly face, or looking to the side. Who would know those could be seizures? I remember when she was first diagnosed I had this terrible sinking feeling in my stomach thinking, "oh crap, how many of these have I missed?" I never really know what to expect. It gets very draining.

I will update later. Thanks for the replies.
#6 of 9 Old 06-10-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
...I remember when she was first diagnosed I had this terrible sinking feeling in my stomach thinking, "oh crap, how many of these have I missed?" I never really know what to expect. It gets very draining....

Ain't that the truth!
My first instinct is that these are sleep twitches but yours is the mommy instinct, which is stronger. I hope the neuro. can give you some reassuring answers.

Mary:

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
#7 of 9 Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 AM

It looks more like a normal sleep pattern to me but I could be wrong.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#8 of 9 Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 PM

I felt alarmed by it so I would contact the doctor to see what he/she thinks.

Those of you that think it looks like normal sleep twitching - do your kids really do that all night? My DD hardly moves at all. I've never seen her do that so consistently. Maybe right after she falls asleep but then she sleeps like a rock. Maybe my DD is the odd one. LOL
#9 of 9 Old 06-11-2008, 01:56 AM

Your DD is beautiful. I would so talk to your neuro. My DD sleeps like that...and a lot of nights keeps her eyes half open. I would have never ever thought she was having seizures until she had a Grand Mal two weeks ago. Now, I question how many of the times she has spaced out or did something funky that I never thought were seizures.

I would rule on the side of caution and just made sure. If something is telling you that it is more than just her normal sleep, if nothing else, just calm your mind and have it checked out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page