Does this sound like a seizure to you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-21-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mamas of LO's with epilepsy I need your advice.

My DD, 4 years old, has complex partial epilepsy. She was diagnosed 2 years ago after having 5 tonic-clonics in one day. Her seizures take many forms as is common with complex partial but are usually long absenses, drop seizures or strange behavoiurs. DD has been taking Epilim (Sodium Valproate) for 2 years and is now at the max dose for her weight but continues to have breakthrough seizures.

On thursday DD was playing in the garden at preschool when her teacher heard her screaming. The teacher rushed over to find DD standing in the playhouse unable to move. They tried to lift DD out but she couldnt bend at the waist or bend her legs. They finally got her out and lay her down on DD's favourite teachers legs. After about 15 minutes she was able to move again. They called me and I went straight to the preschool. By the time I arrived she was moving but very stiffly. An hour later she was fine.

The preschool teacher said that DD's legs had been hard and rigid as if all the muscles were in spasm. DD's memories of the event are quite hazy, normal following a seizure.

I am worried that this is a new kind of seizure we havent had before or a form of paraylisis following a seizure no one saw.

I am trying to get hold of DD's consultant but can't till Monday.

What do you think? Have any of your DC's ever had anything similar. This has been very frightening for everyone especially DD's class mates and teachers.

Thank you.
#2 of 5 Old 06-22-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

bumping

Can anyone help?
#3 of 5 Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 PM

Hi Becky,

I really hate to add more worry. I will say that the haziness post episodes are suspicious of sz. I am out of ideas as for the paralizas post episode.

Please update us when you can. I wish I could be more helpful.

Mary:

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
#4 of 5 Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 PM

I'm finding with my daughter there are so many things that can be seizure related it is difficult to tell. She has become slightly stiff and immobile during a seizure but never to the extent you are describing.
#5 of 5 Old 06-23-2008, 09:49 PM

It sounds like a seizure to me. My dd also has complex partial epilepsy and I have seen a lot of strange things happen. The first seizure she ever had, she became stiff as a board and her head and eyes turned to the side. The doctor said that was a complex partial with a secondary generalized seizure.

I don't know if that helps or not. I hope you can get ahold of the consultant soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page