Unvaccinated Autisics? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there any parents of unvaccinated autistic children out there. As in a child who has never had a single vaccine, even the hepB shot they give in the hospital? i have yet to meet a child wth autism who hasn't had at least one shot. I've asked around alot and have come up empty, so now I'm asking all of you......please respond....
#2 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 AM

There are a few folks here, but tread lightly.....this is a delicate subject. MY boy isn't one of them, he's had a few but not all.
#3 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 AM

My second ds is unvaccinated completely. The first one only recived his first series of shots and we stopped. We don't vax but autism is not the reason why. I believe that autism is genetic.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#4 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 AM

First off, we do not have a dx yet, but there's no doubt in my mind that ds is on the spectrum. Up to this point, his vax are current, but DH and I have decided that ds will not be vaxed any more because we do not want to continue to put poison in his system. However, I do not think that the vax caused him to be autistic. I think that it is genetic.
#5 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 10:47 AM

My son is an unvaxed product of homebirth, he is also Autistic. My son's autistic traits also happen to be very similar to me, my brother, and my father.
#6 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
My son is an unvaxed product of homebirth, he is also Autistic. My son's autistic traits also happen to be very similar to me, my brother, and my father.
that. Exactly that.
#7 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 11:10 AM

My son has never had a single vaccination in his life..(his birth was also UC)

That being said, I believe there was a genetic component (especially from me) and I ALSO
highly believe that the vaccines the mother may have had during childhood can actually play
a part in her child developing Autism. In particular, those that don't hold a titer to Rubella.
#8 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 11:36 AM

We used to do care for an autistic boy who had never had a shot in his life.
#9 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmummy View Post

That being said, I believe there was a genetic component (especially from me) and I ALSO
highly believe that the vaccines the mother may have had during childhood can actually play
a part in her child developing Autism. In particular, those that don't hold a titer to Rubella.
huh, I've never heard that before. I think Autism is genetic. I've never been vaxed.
#10 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmummy View Post

I don't agree with this. My older sister got rubella when I was around 4, and I am immune according to blood tests, so I haven't gotten a booster. I still have 2 autistic children, 1 who wasn't vaxed.
#11 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned

I know of several who are unvaxed/autistic, and one who's mom had no vax, and he has no vax, but he is autistic.
#12 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 PM

My DS was vax'd, but it has absolutely nothing to do with what caused his Autism. He got it from me, my genes.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#13 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 PM

One of my fraternal twins has autism. The other doesn't. Both had the exact same gestation, birth, and life afterward.

Had they been identical and so shared the same genetic material there is a well over 90% chance both would be on the spectrum if one is. As it is my typical kiddo had a chance the exact same as any sibling of an autistic (I think 10 to 25%). If twin studies don't prove that something genetic is behind autism to someone that person doesn't understand even basic genetic science and shouldn't be exploring this subject.

Do I think environment including vaccines matter? Yes I think environment matters but there has to be a genetic underlying something and the environmental impact for most spectrum kids in my opinion is not vaccines. I think what is coming out in research is that the environmental impacts together with genes are usually during gestation and they are happening in the mom rather than insults from outside. Other known genetic things that make environment have impact aren't environmental things you can control (like glutamate processing). And obviously whatever environmental factors there has to be something genetic too. Going back to concordance in identical vs. fraternal twins.

Autism is genetic.

Can you avoid vaccines, eat organic, avoid dairy and gluten during pregnancy and afterward, avoid pollution, have a home birth, delay solids, breastfeed for years, and all the other things you might do and still have an autistic child? Yes. Yes you can. And there are far, far worse things that can happen to your child as well. We just don't have the control that gives us guarantees with our kids. Which is one reason why parenthood is scary.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#14 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 01:04 PM

Everyone is kind of dancing on the topic, but I will let you know what we are talking about.

Presupposing that Autism is *caused* by something, is an encompassing assumption that Autism is harm, and can (and therefore should) be prevented and treated. Categorizing Autism as a mental/neurological defect tends to be offensive to the large numbers of Autistics and parents of Autistics out there who have chosen acceptance.

In my household we celebrate Autism. We love the world in our own way, we experience things differently from other people, and we would not change it for anything.

I have said before: Autism Awareness is the one and only cause of the "Autism Epidemic".
Our access to information, and our increased community awareness (aggregation of specific child behaviors over an extremely large population) has caused us to put more concrete labels on a set of previously uncategorized quirks (of varying intensities).

If a chemical/poison could give me a different point of view or change the physical size, chemical operation, and shape of a brain, humans would all be super heros, because successful utilization of a mutagenic material would be the sole focus of bio-engineering.
#15 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 01:13 PM

I just wish we'd stop focusing so much on the reasons when it comes to autism, for all the implications lying behind that needing to know. It's one thing to pursue answers for one child - if your child is physically suffering in some way, if you suspect metabolic issues, etc etc. But this focus on the general Why with a capital 'W'... too many reasons to do so that are only disturbing to me.
#16 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 01:26 PM

You rule, ShaggyDaddy!
#17 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
Everyone is kind of dancing on the topic, but I will let you know what we are talking about.

Presupposing that Autism is *caused* by something, is an encompassing assumption that Autism is harm, and can (and therefore should) be prevented and treated. Categorizing Autism as a mental/neurological defect tends to be offensive to the large numbers of Autistics and parents of Autistics out there who have chosen acceptance.

In my household we celebrate Autism. We love the world in our own way, we experience things differently from other people, and we would not change it for anything.

Thank you for writing this.

My son has Downs Syndrome. He is nine months old.

I have been struggling to find words for some of my feelings about my son. The above quote beautifully sums it up.

I admit to being confused by some of the previous posts. The OP does not seem negative to me. I did not "get" what everyone was feeling so touchy about until I substituted Downs Syndrome for Autism after reading the quoted post.

To the OP, I just want you to know that I understand why you might be asking this question.

As a newbie to the special needs world I am not quite sure of what is common knowledge and PC. Sometimes I am guilty of asking an inappropriate question. Sometimes I express a less than enlightened view. I am just starting my journey with my son and I am coming here to learn.

I hope that others will keep this in mind.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#18 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
I admit to being confused by some of the previous posts. The OP does not seem negative to me. I did not "get" what everyone was feeling so touchy about until I substituted Downs Syndrome for Autism after reading the quoted post.
I think that what everyone is so touchy about is that IF vaccines cause autism AND you vaccinated your child, then the "logical" conclusion is that you 'caused' your child's autism. If only you hadn't vaccinated your child, then s/he would be "normal". Now, I don't believe this line of reasoning for a bit. I believe that autism is genetic. I think a lot of things that are diagnosed as autism today (and rightly so) were either overlooked 30 years ago or diagnosed as something different (generic mental retardation, for example).

That's very different from Downs Syndrome which has a clear genetic 'cause' that no parent can be responsible for (unless you want to blame your genes).

I guess it bothers me because it's another version of "blame the parent", which is clearly not a healthy thing to do. (Disclaimer: I don't have a child with autism. I have a child with Sensory Processing Disorder. But he shares some traits with children with autism.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#19 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
I think that what everyone is so touchy about is that IF vaccines cause autism AND you vaccinated your child, then the "logical" conclusion is that you 'caused' your child's autism. If only you hadn't vaccinated your child, then s/he would be "normal". Now, I don't believe this line of reasoning for a bit. I believe that autism is genetic. I think a lot of things that are diagnosed as autism today (and rightly so) were either overlooked 30 years ago or diagnosed as something different (generic mental retardation, for example).

Yup, these are my thoughts. I remember the post about terbutaline causing autism and it freaked me out because I was on it with my daughter. It caused a mild depression on my part. Then when my son was dx'd (no terbutaline w/him) I started looking into the genetics of it and came to my current stance on autism.
#20 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 02:19 PM

My youngest is not officially diagnosed, but she has all the signs of autism. She has never had a shot.

My oldest is autistic and was selectively vaccinated.

They both have an autistic mother, though.
#21 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

That's very different from Downs Syndrome which has a clear genetic 'cause' that no parent can be responsible for (unless you want to blame your genes).

I guess it bothers me because it's another version of "blame the parent", which is clearly not a healthy thing to do. (Disclaimer: I don't have a child with autism. I have a child with Sensory Processing Disorder. But he shares some traits with children with autism.)
I get it.

I'm with you.

I'm just new.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#22 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM

Yes, the whole Bettelheim mother-blame thing is disturbing for sure.

But more so, for me, it's the current obsession in our culture with finding a cause, which is almost invariably equated with the assumption that autism is something we must eradicate and prevent. And this is almost invariably equated with the inability of our culture to find value in people with autism. That's where I get my panties in a bunch.
#23 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 04:40 PM

I just wanted to pipe in...
I have two children with Autism.. one almost completley vaxed and the other not a drop..one of them has a twin who does not have Autism.
It's not the vaxes in this family..
Oh.. and now you know of a BUNCH of unvaccinated autistics!
What's your interest in this???
#24 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 04:57 PM

My ds with Asperger's had one hep b in the hospital,nothing else.But he does have repaired heart defects and a chromosome 2 microdeletion,so that is most likely the cause.My dad has Asperger's(not officially diagnosed,but he has all the characteristics).I have autistic traits.It's genetic.We also celebrate autism in our home.Ds is very kind,sweet and incredibly smart.He needs to know everything that is going on,prefers things certain ways,but that's just him.My dad is an amazing man,a wonderful father and grandfather,ds is so much like him.I wouldn't want either one of them to be "cured".

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#25 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
Feebeeglee is a poster here, she has a son with ASD who was homebirthed, bf, non vaxed, all that good stuff.

Bede is classically, flamingly autistic and has never been vaccinated. He is also my third child, my third breastfed child, and my third child born in less than three years, so any lifelong toxic "body burden" I might have had was dissipated almost completely by the time he was gestated and nursed. I received no vaccinations or injections during my pregnancy or afterwards. I ate no seafood. He was born calmly at home with no intervention, and was breastfed til he was well past three years old.

There was no external cause for my son's autism. It is Who He Is. It's not strange or frightening to me because it's Who I Am too - I was informally diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome earlier this year, and it was like a key in a lock. When I have the big money free for a full assessment I'll get one, just to see if the official dx for me would be AS or PDD-NOS.

In my family, we have two diagnosed autists - me and Bede - and probably four or five undiagnosed. My oldest brother was absolutely autistic. My father has many autistic traits, as does my sister.

It's not vaccines. It's just life.
#26 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 05:54 PM

Heya Feebs!! : I was so hoping you'd chime in.
#27 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 06:00 PM

My older brother is mostly unvaxed also and has a textbook case of Asperger's Syndrome. He is undiagnosed as of yet but has a few others that some it up. I have many autistic traits myself. My bil has many traits of autism. He also has a myriad of other dx's. We are told that he was exactly like my ds1 growing up and my mil says she wishes she knew then what we know now. My father and grandfather also have traits of AS. The genetics are very obvious in my family.

We also don't veiw autism as a bad thing. DS1 and my bil both have a hard dealing with the outside world and would be considered "disabled" by their conditions. We aren't down on it though. Bil lives on his own with a little help from his girlfriend. He can't work so he does get SSI. We just live our lives and take it as it comes. I wouldn't "cure" my kids if I had the chance. On the other hand, my grandfather is a millionaire from his computer tech. work. Where does the line cross from asset to deficit?

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#28 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 PM

My oldest was vaxed up until 18 months, and is not on the spectrum.

My youngest is completely unvaxed and is autistic. I wonder about the causes sometimes, not out of a "how do we cure/prevent this horrible disease" etc. standpoint, but just because it has become so much more common lately. Makes me wonder what has changed about humans over the last 30 years or so that I never knew anyone with autism growing up (adult or child) and now it comes up daily in the news.

So that sets my mind turning over all the different speculated causes from heavy metals to electronics, vaccines to dairy. And I don't think it's unusual for us to seek answers to these questions.

I mean some of them you can rule out because my daughters have the same parents, and are being raised the same way. I ate a similar diet during both pregnancies and there were no complications. But one (my oldest) was a natural birth, while my youngest was a pitocin-epidural-c-section. My oldest had some formula starting at 8 weeks and nursed less than a year. My youngest is nursing still.

Physically they are very different: my older dd is very slight: in the 50% for height and the 25% for weight and my youngest is in the 75th for height and 95th for weight. So it is just so striking *before* you even consider that my oldest dd is not on the spectrum and my younger one is.

Because let's face it, autistic kids are different. So something has to cause that difference. Just saying, Oh isn't it so great that my kid is just being herself and part of that is her curly hair, and part of it is her hazel eyes, and part of it is that she is autistic. I don't think that people give those different traits equal weight.

It's disturbing for some people to see a 3 y.o. who doesn't talk, who flaps when she's excited, who screams bloody murder over the least little inconvenience or disappointment, who will take off running anywhere and no look back, who stuffs too much food in her mouth at once, who only eats 5 very specific foods, who does headstands for hours each day, who memorizes big chunks of dialog from her videos, who "talks" in nonsense syllables to the dog for 30 minute stretches... I find a lot of her behaviors endearing, and others just exhaust and frustrate me.

And being an AP mom, who co-sleeps, babywears, gentle discipline, etc. it is also frustrating to have all of these things "work" so well for my first child and to be at my wit's end trying to "deal" with my younger child who won't sleep, who after a certain age wouldn't go in a sling, won't listen, wouldn't ever take a bottle or pacifier, etc. So I am in awe of those of you who celebrate autism, and who don't wonder about the causes, because I have been floundering trying to deal with her behavior before I even suspected or knew what was causing it.

-Vijay
#29 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 PM

I believe that vaccines are not safe, but they do not CAUSE autism. Do I think they can make a child with genetically predisposed autism worse? Yes, I have to admit that I believe in the environmental factor as well. I've always been a big believer of both nature and nurture working together.

Jayce has autism and is selectively vaxed. A gut feeling told me to be careful with him. I stopped vaxing when he fell behind in language development. I will not give him any more vaccines. His sister is fully vaccinated with absolutely no issues.
#30 of 140 Old 06-30-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Can you avoid vaccines, eat organic, avoid dairy and gluten during pregnancy and afterward, avoid pollution, have a home birth, delay solids, breastfeed for years, and all the other things you might do and still have an autistic child? Yes. Yes you can. And there are far, far worse things that can happen to your child as well. We just don't have the control that gives us guarantees with our kids. Which is one reason why parenthood is scary.
First - ShaggyDaddy, your post was beautiful! I would love to plaster it all over the globe.

We don't have an autistic child, but I do have a child who was born with two congenital birth defects. Planned pregnancy, ate organic, took prenates, no caffeine, no meds of any kind other then herbal teas for my uterus, counted grams of protein daily, ate a daily mix of fresh above and below ground veggies, had an entirely non-intervetive birth... etc. etc. We still had a child who was born with 2 birth defects. When people ask me if I took prenatal vitamins while I was pg, or if I was a drinker, or took prescription meds it floors me. The cycle of mama blame is huge in our society and needs to be broken down. What a huge help to any mom dealing with a child who has any issue that would be. Now, if only people would blame us for all of amazing and wonderful things our kids do. Sorry to chime in when I'm not dealing with the same medical issues, but the personal issues rang so close to home for me.

FWIW - our DD's birth defects were congenital neurologic strabismus and a cleft lip and gum line (also: allergies, migraines, mild SID, and a couple episodes of 'unknown seizure like activity'). She's 7 now and has on her own paid for 2.5 children (and more pennies adding up in her jar now) to have a cleft lip surgery who couldn't afford it. She started a drive in her first grade class and they raised enough money through the school to pay for two more. She says "If I hadn't been born with a cleft lip, those kids wouldn't have been able to have the surgery because I probably wouldn't have raised the money for them. I'm glad I have a cleft lip." Can I take the blame for that too?

Nature is beautiful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page