Is there anything we can do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2008, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Emeric's ST keeps making comments about his language is developing, but not typically. I know I've posted about this recently but I'm just at a loss as to what, if anything to do. He is singing all the time. He picks up songs very quickly and sings them all day long. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star sounds like, "Uh uh eh eh ih ih ah" but he is definitely singing it.

She commented today now that his sounds are typical of older children and he's not making typical sounds that kids first make like "m" or "b" or saying any typical words. He makes a lot of "th" and "v" and "w" sounds which she said normally come later.

So, she keeps telling me it isn't typical. Ok, well then WHY is he doing it? Is there anything to DO for his language development? Etc.... She can't answer any of these questions for me. I want to know why he can pick up certain things so quickly and yet not pick up other, seemingly easier words after months of repetition. I keep mentioning and Auditory Processing Disorder because it seems to fit and she just says, "Yeah, something is going on somewhere".

If it were just a language delay it wouldn't even bother me so much. It's the fact that I know he's having trouble processing specific things and there's likely a problem with the connection in his brain and hearing the sounds so I want to know if there is anything we can do to help him process things in a more efficient way.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 02:51 AM

Hi,

I am very quick to get second opinions or change providers if my gut feeling is that the provider, however nice or reputable, is off-base or missing something.

My visceral reaction is that the ST is in over her head. Maybe your son's problem isn't that common. I would be more inclined to have him evaluated at an academic teaching hospital. Especially since diagnosis is uncertain, I'd even travel to do so.

As for Auditory Processing Difficulties, I'm not sure, but isn't that more of an OT domain? I would find out and have him evaluated specifically for that, preferably by an individual with that specialization. For instance, ST generally do feeding therapy, but some ST have received special training in feeding therapy so that that is really their subspecialty and the bulk of their practice. I would find someone analogous for auditory processing.

I hope this helps. Trust your gut instinct and keep knocking on doors until you get answer(s) that feel right.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:56 AM

I know that usually kids have to be quite a bit older to get a auditory processing dx (waiting for ours). I'd ask her what you can do in the mean time to help him. That's her job! Can she give you some workbooks/handouts with exercises to help him make those sounds?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 AM

APD isn't usually diagnosed until around age six, but an audiologist can usually tell you if they suspect it. What kind of hearing tests has he had so far?

User Tag List