Any books/resources for helping young kids with anxiety? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-09-2008, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend books for me to read as a parent and also books I can read to my 4 year old for dealing with anxiety? This seems to me to be the basis for several of ds's behavior problems, especially ones that occur outside the home. He has intense anxiety about going into new social situations, fear of the dark or being alone in any part of the house, and fear of many but not all strangers. Also gets very uncomfortable when people he doesn't know well are visiting our home and starts acting out, playing rough, escalating to aggressive with his sister or other kids visiting.

We are in therapy with him and have done lots of work with feelings identification but I would like to learn more about helping him specifically with anxiety. He is able to say, "I'm scared." but continues to act out when he feels this way, despite our best efforts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 PM

I don't know. I am subscribing to this since my dd also has anxiety issues. We are in therapy, but mostly they are working on helping me work with her and we just started so haven't really done anythign yet.
#3 of 3 Old 07-09-2008, 05:58 PM

Not much time at the moment, but EMDR is very helpful. Also cranial sacral therapy. Hippotherapy, OT, aquatic therapy. Play and sandtray therapy can be helpful. Rescue remedy. Hypnosis techniques.

We have some pretty severe anxiety issues over here ATM so we have been digging out our bag of tricks.

Not that everything/anything is working. But we're trying.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page