provisional autism diagnosis - help please - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 07-15-2008, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a provisional autism diagnosis for my 4 yr old. I waver between feeling ok and positive about it all and feeling a bit flat and freaked out.

Any btdt stories would be lovely! Also have read stuff about relationship intervention programmes - any one done this? Helpful?

What has helped your child the most?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 AM

Check out http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=931685 for a discussion on relationship intervention.

The mixture of emotions upon diagnosis is intense, huh? *hugs*

Ladonna
Mama to Samuel (6) Gabriel (4) and Jacee (just born on 12/15/09 7lbs5oz 20.75 in)
#3 of 4 Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 AM

I remember that mix of feelings too. I think its a process--time will help that. Someday you probably won't think much of it all or at least not consciously/with any emotion. But it takes time. I think my biggest piece of advice for those newly diagnosed is to just sink into it a while. You don't need to do anything right now.

RDI has been really good for my son and I don't have any reservations or concerns about it. As I mentioned in the thread the previous poster mentioned, its something many parents using with autistic kids do with their typical kids too. I always do the same things with my typical kiddo because he likes the attention too and doesn't want to be left out!

OT helps kids with sensory issues if you can find someone good with sensory stuff. So that or a home sensory program is a key for many people. But OT for us was more expensive than RDI and just couldn't come close to helping my son as much so right now we're doing just RDI professionally.

Outside of that sometimes there are health related issues and when a child feels better he reaches his potential developmentally. But in those cases you'll see things outside of autism too.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 4 Old 07-16-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page