Worrisome birth mark on spine? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 08-02-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Huh, I didn't realize that a base of the skull one wasn't a great thing either. She has that too, along with one in the middle of her forehead and one on each eyelid.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#32 of 45 Old 08-02-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Huh, I didn't realize that a base of the skull one wasn't a great thing either. She has that too, along with one in the middle of her forehead and one on each eyelid.
My daughter who has LMC-TCS has a birthmark at the base of her skull as well as the Hemangioma at the base of her spine.

My newborn has a birthmark at the base of her skull as well (along with the hemangioma and the mark at the base of her spine). We won't know anymore till she has her MRI. Its being ordered by the Neurosurgeon. I am waiting for the hospital to call with the date and time.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#33 of 45 Old 08-02-2008, 09:35 PM

Linden has them on the base of his head, eyelids, and tops of his ears (like where glasses would go). This is what they told me they were:

"Salmon Patch or Nevus Simplex
Salmon-colored.
Sometimes called “angel kiss” or “stork bite”.
Most often found on the nape of the neck.
Also appear on the forehead, upper eyelids, and around the mouth and nose.
More than 95% lighten and fade completely."

We've seen a ton of dr's and more than 6 neurologists and none have thought they were anything. I'm not saying you shouldn't have it checked out, but don't worry yourself sick over it. One dr told us that the ones on his face would probably fade and the ones on his head and nape of his nek wouldn't.

I'm not sure what the one on Aniyah's back is, but it looks like little lips kissed her. we call it her fairy's kiss.

you can see the one on his eyelid really well in this pic:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...r/DSCF2290.jpg
#34 of 45 Old 08-03-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&MsMom View Post
I've read these two birthmarks combined greatly increase the chance of spinal abnormality.

Do you know where you read this? Its something I haven't read before. Very ineresting too since it fits my oldest daughter who is already diagnosed. My youngest, who is not diagnosed as well.

I've been thinking of your comment since yesterday and mentioned it to my husband. I'm going to call the NS office tomorrow and ask them if the Doctor noticed the birthmark at the base of my littlest ones skull.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#35 of 45 Old 08-05-2008, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

We saw the pedi this afternoon. She was also quite worried since the birthmark is exactly mid line and since she also has the skull one and with my history as well.
So, she sent a referral over for the full spinal MRI and we'll get the appt soon. Hopefully within the next month if at all possible.

#36 of 45 Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 PM

I am glad the Ped is on board with you. Let us know when the MRI is.

I am still waiting for Delaney's. In fact I just talked with the clinic coordinator and they need a pre-MRI physical before they will schedule the damn thing. : With Gabrielle they set the appointment, then I get the pre-physical and have it sent over to the hospital. GRRRRRR It could be another month before the MRI too since they are backed up.

I did mention to her also about the birthmark at the base of Delaney's skull. She doesn't know if the Doctor saw that or not. But he did look at the hemangioma and other mark at the base of her spine.

Now I am really, really worried.

#37 of 45 Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, what a total pita for you.
You would think a possible spinal issue would be something they would want to rush to get looked at.

#38 of 45 Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM

to both of you.
#39 of 45 Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 PM

Isn't it interesting how many of us are going through this waiting process at the same time?

Clementine has her appointment with the neurosurgeon Thursday morning. I'll let you know what I learn. Her mark looks almost identical to your daughters does, Kathryn.

Crossing my fingers. . .
#40 of 45 Old 10-21-2008, 03:08 PM

I posted earlier. My 17 month old DD has a mark almost identical to your daughter's. It is flat, speckled and has grown with her since birth, so it is considered a port-wine stain. We were given a referral for an MRI only to learn that it has to be done at the hospital, so we are waiting for our 18 month check-up to complete the planning for it. Our regular pediatrician took a wait and see, maybe it will fade approach, which I regret. She could have had an ultrasound as a baby. Now we need to sedate and do an MRI.

As far as my comment about studies suggesting that multiple midline birthmarks are more suggestive of an underlying problem than just one, here's one: http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...act/140/9/1109

In the case of my DD, she has a stork bite at the base of her neck, angel kisses on her forehead at birth that faded, a small bluish mark near the bridge of her nose that has grown with her, and most recently I discovered she has a linea negra on her belly (what pregnant women get). These marks all cross her midline, which worries me.

In the last week, my daughter has developed a strange behavior that I also wonder could be related. She is a tummy sleeper and often sleeps with her butt in the air, but lately, in the middle of the day, she'll drop to the ground, butt in the air and start (for lack of a better description) humping the ground. She zones out, drools, and gets angry if I try to pick her up while she's doing this. She does it in her crib after naps, did it after dinner the other night and cried out in the process. Could she be in pain and trying to get relief? I wondered if it could be simple masturbation (she grabs herself during diaper changes), but her hands aren't always below the crotch when she's doing this. Could these pelvic gyrations be easing low back pain???

I hope I don't regret sedating my daughter at such a young age for an MRI, but I can't go on much longer without answers.
#41 of 45 Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Ok, here it is. I showed a tiny bit of her butt crack to help show where the birth mark is.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j..._07_20_999.jpg

Btw, she was cracking up that I was taking a photo of her butt.

That's a dear little mark. I'm not a dr so I don't know it's it's an indicator of anything, but I am a mom and my son has more then of few that look exacly like that one. Two are on his spine, a large one on the base. They have faded and changed shape over the years. I can assure you that he is heatlhy and able bodied. Two of our other sons also have this marks on their spines as wel.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#42 of 45 Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 AM

HI Mommies, here's what we are experiencing...........our son is seeing a nuerologist (trying to figure out if he has some serious blood vessel damage in his brain).....but she checked his skin over like a fine tooth comb looking for any markings, etc..........I guess some brain problems are associated with things that look like birth marks, etc.......

also, our son is part asian .........he has unusual discolored spots on him......common to asian and black children ......called mongolian spots........on my daughter it almost looks like her entire lower back has a faded bruise.............

so ethnic heritage is important when you get a second opinion

good luck

broc1.gif
#43 of 45 Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 AM

I wanted to say that it's my understanding that stork bites at the nape of the neck are really, really common. Maybe 10 % of people have them or something. They certainly could mean something if combined with other marks, but I would hate for everyone whose child had a stork bite on the nape of the neck with no other symptoms to get really stressed about it. My daughter has one, btw, which we unfortunately discovered when she got a deer tick bite right in the center of it and we thought it might be an atypical Lyme rash. It did not respond to abx, lol.

Another person described a flat, light brown round mark. That is most likely a cafe au lait mark, and 10 % of people have 1. It gets progressively less common to have higher numbers of them.

Sherri
#44 of 45 Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 AM

Oh wow. My son has a birthmark just like that in the same place. Crazy. Our ped thought it was nothing to worry about.
Though, I will point out... When preggo I had a test done (don't recall the name) and they thought my numbers looked like he could have spina bifida (?). We had to have a special u/s to check out his spine specifically. It all looked right and the only problems we're dealing with are severe speech delay. So. But I remember seeing that mark and thinking, maybe something almost happened to his spine....? I don't know...

Newly single mama to DS 4/20/2005. Recently back from ALASKA.
#45 of 45 Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 AM

My daughter has the same birthmark. This initial post was from a few years back, any updates? Did she had tethered spine?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page