America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – (Free Access Pass) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone gotten one of these? I am a little confused. Can you get one for your special needs child even if they are under 16?

http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/access/access_pass.htm

Quote:
The Access Pass is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities. Documentation is required to obtain the pass. Acceptable documentation includes: statement by a licensed physician; document issued by a Federal agency such as the Veteran’s Administration, Social Security Disability Income or Supplemental Security Income; or document issued by a State agency such as a vocational rehabilitation agency. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Access Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 11 Old 08-01-2008, 10:28 PM

From the website FAQs

Quote:
Can my child get an Access Pass?
Yes. This allows the caregivers to enter Federal Recreation sites when accompanying the child.
What a cool thing!

Nena, Wife to S since 1995, mom to G (my wonderkid) since 2000 and R since 2006 (my snuggley boy who was diagnosed with mitochondrial disease in 2007)
#3 of 11 Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Doh! I missed that! Thanks! I thought you could.

I called our State Park yesterday and they do not have such a plan for special needs children. They have a half price thing for Seniors and Disabled Adults, but not children. She suggested I write the State. Which I will do.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 11 Old 08-02-2008, 04:07 PM

We got it at the Canaveral National Seashore. When you go there you have to pay $5 and we asked about the pass and did it right there in the drive through lane! It was just a short frm for our name and address and we showed a note from a doctor my son saw a few years back that said my son had Poland Syndrome, a congenital anomaly. The drs note was originally written on a tiny script pad for my insurance company to pursuade them to pay for speech therapy!

It's good to ask about a disabled pass as most places are happy to volunteer information.
#5 of 11 Old 08-02-2008, 09:07 PM

if its a federal lands pass, wouldnt that mean every state must do it since its federal?
#6 of 11 Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
if its a federal lands pass, wouldnt that mean every state must do it since its federal?
You are confusing the National Parks and State Parks. Example - Yellowstone is a National Park funded with National Funds. Clinton Lake here in Lawrence. KS is a Kansas State Park funded by the State of Kansas.

#7 of 11 Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
You are confusing the National Parks and State Parks. Example - Yellowstone is a National Park funded with National Funds. Clinton Lake here in Lawrence. KS is a Kansas State Park funded by the State of Kansas.
Hmmm...doesn't Clinton have a State side,and also a Federal side? I think the Army Corps of Engineers manages all but the State park. I wonder if they participate? I am near Ottawa,& have been to Clinton many times! Would love to take the kids camping when the weather cools off.

ETA: Oh darn,looks like the passes aren't accepted at Corps parks.
#8 of 11 Old 08-04-2008, 01:12 AM

That is such a cool thing!
#9 of 11 Old 08-04-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie37 View Post
Hmmm...doesn't Clinton have a State side,and also a Federal side? I think the Army Corps of Engineers manages all but the State park. I wonder if they participate? I am near Ottawa,& have been to Clinton many times! Would love to take the kids camping when the weather cools off.

ETA: Oh darn,looks like the passes aren't accepted at Corps parks.
Here are the National Parks for Kansas.

http://www.nps.gov/state/KS/

#10 of 11 Old 09-01-2008, 11:08 PM

Yes, these are for children as well. I got one last week for my 15 year old disabled daughter. I just took her school ID and proof of her disability (Down Syndrome) and they gave us the pass for free and gave both my kids a bunch of free stuff. Very Cool!!!:
#11 of 11 Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 PM

If you read the FAQs on the link you provided you will see that it is for children as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page