Repeating sentences over and over - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-04-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My toddler is repeating sentences over and over. This just started in the last month. My LO will say a short phrase or sentence, then repeat it again and again in repetitions for about 10 minutes, sometimes longer.

Does anyone else's child do this?

Is this a normal speech pattern for toddlers?

It almost seems hyper focused on a single idea. It's difficult to turn my little one's attention to other things. When I described it to a speech pathologist we've already been seeing for language delays, the term "fixated" came up, not from me, but from the speech pathologist.

Just as background, my toddler has hypotonia, which causes fine motor delays and also contributes to the speech delay. The speech delay is fairly significant. We were recently seen for Autism but the diagnosis in unclear...we're going back in for further evaluation.

Any ideas about repetitive speech and fixation on certain phrases?
#2 of 14 Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 PM

DS repeats phrases from movies to what someone has said in passing. He also repeats what I say or a question I ask. It was fairly significant when he was 3-4 years old and has tapered off some. The diagnostician called it echolalia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Is Nice
It almost seems hyper focused on a single idea. It's difficult to turn my little one's attention to other things.
DS also gets fixated on a particular topic or object and it's difficult to get his attention on another topic. If I can, I try to figure out a way to segue from the focused topic/object to another one. If there's a similarity between them he is more inclined to stay with the new idea.
#3 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 01:51 AM

My son does this to some extent, not with words but with short songs. He is speech delayed as well and doesn't talk but he does sing. OVER AND OVER again allllllllllll day long. :

He is suspected of having an ASD. Don't know how much that plays into the speech thing or if it's something else neurological going on. Or something else entirely.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#4 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 03:51 AM

Sounds like echolalia to me. My DS does this a lot. I know that your DC is being tested for ASD. Just know that lots of SPD, NOS, NT and ASD kids do this so don't freak out. It's just another perk of being a SN or wannabe SN Mama

I really don't mean to be so flippant but I remember when I was thinking about getting an Autism dx the smarty pants mamas told me that my beloved DC will STILL be the same kid whether or not someone labels him. That made a huge difference in the way I see and treat my DS.

It cracks me up when DS runs around saying, " coming soon to video and dvd!' over and over with amazing gusto.

: He also finally told me he loved me the other day when I asked him to.
These are the joys of Echolalia.
#5 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 AM

My son does this as well. He isnt much of a talker either but will repeat over and over again things that people say - even what he just hears other strangers say in passing! We were at the playground yesterday, as an example and a little girl was shouting to her mother to look at me so for the next 10 mintues my son stood there jumping up and down saying 'look at this mummy look at this mummy' - what the little girl said over and over again...- though since we got a rear facing pushchair I have noticed his speech improving. He has had many developmental delays - mostly physical but speech as well.
I never knew there was a name for it.
I have no official dx but I am positive he has SPD - and I suspect PDD-NOS as well.

I have noticed I can stop it though! - I thought I would share.... All I have to do it say it back to him! lol Then he just stops...until he picks up something else to repeat lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#6 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 06:44 AM

Peanut butter, tartersauce and cannonball....... those words are repeated all day in my household. Sometimes this drives me crazy. Especially when she just wont stop. On vacation, I cant tell you how many PB sandwiches she was given by family- and now they call her peanut....... oh well......At least they dont call her "Tartersauce."

Im the only one that sees this as an issue in my family, so Im owning the issue for myself. At least she stopped with her "whooooooo" high pitched sound screech. I'll take ANYTHING over that.

I have no advice. Sorry, but you're not alone.

Christine. Unschooling mom to Hollis, Zobey, Zeda, Anna, and Wednesday. We have a lot invested in this whole family thing with marriage kids and a mortgage. You don't just give up on the whole deal when it gets difficult.
#7 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 06:48 AM

I've been told a lot that Andrew has fixated speech. He does and like you describe it's more getting stuck on an idea or word than it is repeating something he's heard. There's a word for that...it's not echolalia but pallalia (not the right word...something like that though) I think. Repeating self instead of someone else.

I'd say all kids are somewhat echolalic while learning language. But I've not seen my typical kid get fixated on his own words/thoughts. That aspect seems like another part of my special needs kid's "sticky" brain. There's good things about having a sticky brain by the way (says the mommy who has one too) but not good things too. However, I will say that some of it for my son I think was he just really loves to talk--and when he didn't have a lot of language or at least complex langauge what could he do except repeat himself? And then at other times I think he's repetitive because he wants to interact and isn't sure how or is nervous. And then for him sometimes he does just get stuck. And sometimes (often probably) he goes through phases where he stims on certain words or phrases or ideas. This winter it was the word cocky. I got asked about that one a lot--"what did he say?" "why does your son keep saying that?". I don't know where he heard it and he didn't use it as a word really I think he just loved the way it sounded. Now it is the idea of our neighbor Becky. An older woman and really doesn't even know her. He tells me he likes the sound of her voice. Completely obsessed. It's cute though..except I'm afraid she's going to wonder what's up (I'm sure she would if she knew how much he talks about her all day long).

My son's diagnosis is pdd-nos (autism spectrum) and for him that is a big part of this but as I tried to point out above I don't think that's the only explanation for this type of thing.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#8 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune6 View Post

It cracks me up when DS runs around saying, " coming soon to video and dvd!' over and over with amazing gusto.

My son loves to repeat the same phrase!!! And his newest one? "Press the green go circle at the bottom of the page" thanks to leapfrog
#9 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
But I've not seen my typical kid get fixated on his own words/thoughts.
This is what my child does...repeats over and over phrases that my child comes up with....not repeating over and over phrases other people say.

So, I am not sure about the echolalia...do you think it still applies?
#10 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
However, I will say that some of it for my son I think was he just really loves to talk--and when he didn't have a lot of language or at least complex langauge what could he do except repeat himself? And then at other times I think he's repetitive because he wants to interact and isn't sure how or is nervous. And then for him sometimes he does just get stuck. And sometimes (often probably) he goes through phases where he stims on certain words or phrases or ideas.
Thanks!

That's a good theory. This makes sense to me, when I think of my LO.
#11 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I really don't mean to be so flippant but I remember when I was thinking about getting an Autism dx the smarty pants mamas told me that my beloved DC will STILL be the same kid whether or not someone labels him. That made a huge difference in the way I see and treat my DS.
Thanks.

Oh, I know, I feel the same way about getting a dx.

It's just we don't have one yet, and there are multiple issues...behavioral and medical, and there have been multiple unexplained things since birth. I'd just like some explanation and answers.
#12 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalcurls View Post

DS also gets fixated on a particular topic or object and it's difficult to get his attention on another topic. If I can, I try to figure out a way to segue from the focused topic/object to another one. If there's a similarity between them he is more inclined to stay with the new idea.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3peanuts View Post
My son does this to some extent, not with words but with short songs. He is speech delayed as well and doesn't talk but he does sing. OVER AND OVER again allllllllllll day long. :

He is suspected of having an ASD. Don't know how much that plays into the speech thing or if it's something else neurological going on. Or something else entirely.
:
#13 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

: He also finally told me he loved me the other day when I asked him to. .
That cracks me up, too! Cute. And sweet. This really made me smile.
#14 of 14 Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 AM

I have two kids who do this all day long. Now they are starting to get more sophisticated and will script together. Usually it's the little on playing off of the bigger one because the bigger one is a lot more fixated. And yes, it does drive me up the wall at time.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page