Preparing Autistic Child for New Sibling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-11-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are expecting again in April and have a 5 year old who is autistic. How can we prepare him for the changes in mama's body and the arrival of a new sibling? I'm on the fence about finding out the gender and I have some ideas to keep the new baby "safe" from his/her big brother (such as 5-point harnesses on the bouncy seat, etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-11-2008, 09:03 PM

i am in the same boat, interested to see what people have to say. we are both due in april and our kids are both the same age, lol.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#3 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 06:57 PM

My sister recently had a baby and has a 10 year old autistic son. She told him around 6 months intot he pregnancy and they told him about the baby. They put upththe crib and baby toys and told himthey were for the baby, wathced tv shows on new babies etc. Me and another sister had babies about 4 and 3 months before her, so we talked about our new baby and his baby who was coming. Tehy also used a doll to show him how little tha bay would be and how to hold her etc.
#4 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Fay

DS2 was born when DS1 (dx ASD) was 5.5 years old. I told DS1 about the baby when I was 2 months pregnant, because I couldn't do as many physical activities with him anymore. We had a beat-up anatomically correct life-size newborn doll (the type used for childbirth ed) whom DS1 named "Thomas." Thomas became an important member of our family during my pregnancy -- he went everywhere with us. After DS2 was born, Thomas got the outgrown newborn clothing, and everything I did for DS2, DS1 would do for his doll -- bathing, feeding, changing, esp. changing, LOL.

The Dr. Sears book "Baby on the Way" was helpful, too. DS1 kept going back to the picture that showed a mother's profile w/baby in utero. I also pointed out babies at the grocery store, etc., so that he would have an image to work with.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page