Autism Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 30 month old son is not diagnosed yet. We are in the hurry up and wait time. I am going crazy! My son is very low on the spectrum if he is autistic. I am having an overwhelmed helpless day trying to figure this out.
-Red Flags include loss of speech, severe frequent tantrums, many sensory symptoms.
-Socially he does well one day and poor the next. Confuses clinicians and parents!

Do autistic children change their behavior depending on the setting?
ex. In the public can they settle down because of all the distractions?
ex. Visit grandparents and be a gem, or very few tantrums? Then get home and throw 25-50 tantrums a day. Is this bad behavior/bad parenting or is this typical?

Is it normal for their worst tantrums to be at home?

When the children loose speech and babbling is it normal for them to start getting it back after treatment starts? My DS lost speech and babbling for 4-6 months and then we have only been in Speech Therapy for 3 weeks and he has started babbling again. The words have not come back, but he is trying again, when before he had given up.

Do autistic children have pop outs?

I feel selfish asking these questions. So many moms here are just amazing and are going through so much more. I pray for all the moms on this forum. You are amazing!!!

Thank you for caring so much! I am truly blessed to have my DS and that he is doing as well as he is. I just want a reason for the tantrums so I know wha t to do for him. I am doing everything I can. I want to be educated so I can help my unhappy little boy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 04:56 PM

First of all NONE of it is bad parenting, I am sure. Cut yourself some slack.

My son, Spencer is 6. He is Autistic and was DX at 2.

Yes, he is an angel one minute and and screaming demon the next.

Something that helped me was to watch carefully for what might be setting off the tantrums/ bad behavior. At first glance it might seem out of the blue but if you try to pay extra attention you might see somthing. Or maybe a food journal.

Yes, Spencer might be a beast for me and an angel for the therapist. Or vice versa.

Autistic kids are just confusing. I think so anyway.

They can be very receptive to therapy/treament. I think that is common too. Or to alternate huge bursts of improvments and setbacks.

Talking about settling down in public. When S was little we went to the fair at night he was almost comatose in his stroller. Severe sensory overload! If he is somtimes calmer in public just count your blessing! lol

What is a pop out?

Don't feel selfish. Just because others may have it harder doesn't make your challenges any less. I think where you are at may be the most difficult place. Trying to get the DX. That was a nightmare for us. But now its over and we have what we need. Just hang in there!

What state are you in?

PM me anytime with any questions.

Unlike a lot of the moms with Autistic kids on this board you will not offend me so just ask away! In the beginning it is so important to have somone who has already been there to help you find your groove.

Good luck!

PM me

Geralyn
#3 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 05:00 PM

Loss of skills is never normal, IMO.

I have heard that inconsistency(in terms of sensory issues like you're talking about) is a hallmark of neurological dysfunction.

My son is very inconsistent. At home he usually does well, sometimes he does well in public, sometimes it's completely opposite.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#4 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! G-Dag Thank you so much for listening to me. I live in MI and we are in the Early On program in the school system. But they take a summer vacation and that is really hard on us.
#5 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 05:53 PM

ok, i have no idea, what are pop outs?

Like the UP has said, its not normal to lose any skills. If you are worried about your dc losing skills I would speak to the ped. Therapy can help them re-learn skills that they have lost, or have trouble with.

I know that my son (PDD-NOS) is good on minute and then melting down the next (or just throwinga fit) but there are some things that he never changes. He never has eye contact for more than like a second or so, he is always roaring at strangers, and he does not like to be touched by anyone unless he touches first. His attention span, is not really a span, more like a spurt

He does not usually behave well in public because its too noisy, and it causes him to be anxious and act out more. Even if he tries, its just really hard for him. Eventually he will get to a point where hes just too over loaded and will melt down, and then usually sleep in the car. (we try our hardest to not be out that long)

However his grandparents can get him to (usually) behave very well! Part of it is because mommy and daddy arent there, and then the other part is grandma gives him whatever he wants. So, i think thats pretty normal.

After a day at school, or a day when we are running errands, it is typical that Caleb is to come home and have several melt downs. This is because hes is coming from a structured environment to home, where he feels he can just let it all out. At school, or outside he knows hes supposed to behave one way. When he behaves really well at school or when we are out, he tends to have more melt-downs. (does that make any sense?)

You are not selfish for asking these questions, you are a caring, loving mommy, who wants the best for her kiddo! We are all here to help eachother
#6 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahre View Post
ex. Visit grandparents and be a gem, or very few tantrums? Then get home and throw 25-50 tantrums a day. Is this bad behavior/bad parenting or is this typical?

Is it normal for their worst tantrums to be at home?
Absolutely! Sid is able to "hold it together" when he stays with a grandparent, but when he gets home, he lets it all out! NT kids and adults are the same way. Imagine that you are at a formal dinner party. You watch what you say; how you walk; how you eat; you may feel anxious. When you get home, you breathe a sigh of relief and you are able to relax. I think it is like this for Sid, but compounded (and perhaps frightening).

Thanks for sharing your concerns. That's what this community is for!
#7 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 06:07 PM

yeah, exactly! you put it in better words than I could.
#8 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
A pop out is a word that your child says that they cant normally say, and cant repeat and you dont hear it again for a long time.
#9 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 07:19 PM

I put my answers in your quote and bolded them.
Quote:
My 30 month old son is not diagnosed yet. We are in the hurry up and wait time. I am going crazy! My son is very low on the spectrum if he is autistic. I am having an overwhelmed helpless day trying to figure this out.

-Red Flags include loss of speech, severe frequent tantrums, many sensory symptoms.
-Socially he does well one day and poor the next. Confuses clinicians and parents! My kiddo was this way. Turns out he has a metabolic condition but there were other signs too of that. In general great fluctuations in functioning are a red flag for metabolic (or related/health) issues.

Is it normal for their worst tantrums to be at home? Yes, kids can vary and I do think some kids have their worst tantrums at home. My son is certainly one of those. I think it has to do with distractions for him more than comfort level. But for some kids they act out when they are comfortable.

No, not bad parenting. Sounds like your kiddo really struggles with regulation. 25 to 50 is a lot. At some points we've considered risperdal for my son to give him a chance to learn better coping skills. I've been looking at stuff from The Explosive Child and have consulted a few people and I've maybe (I hope) learned more what helps my child in terms of tantrums but I'm holding my breath that it isn't a temporary improvement. We have had long time periods of meltdowns all through the day. It's horrible I know. We still have them daily but no longer constant/all day long. Can you pinpoint any triggers or things that make them more likely to happen. For my son one important thing is he needs to eat frequently--every 2 to 3 hours--and he is more stable emotionally. Sleep affects him too. And then we've learned how to engage him and by-pass them at least sometimes. And I think he's getting more able to manage with age--at least a bit. Like I said holding my breath this isn't just temporary here.

When the children loose speech and babbling is it normal for them to start getting it back after treatment starts? My DS lost speech and babbling for 4-6 months and then we have only been in Speech Therapy for 3 weeks and he has started babbling again. The words have not come back, but he is trying again, when before he had given up. I think that's terrific! For my son he would lose skills and then gain them back. Any loss of skills is a sign of metabolic issues or something else health wise. We just didn't know that. We found out my son has a metabolic condition at 3.5 years old.

Do autistic children have pop outs? ??Not sure what that is?? Oh, I see your follow up post now. Actually, I'm not sure on this. I've read about that with apraxia of speech though for sure.
Is your child healthy otherwise? Good energy? Physical skills on target? Did anything happen right before he lost his speech--the flu, a surgery, diet change?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#10 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 PM

Okay, is it a loss of skills if your kid who used to say "aguh" to get tickled again is now simply moving your hands and laughing? Or is that just a boy being two?
#11 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLark View Post
Okay, is it a loss of skills if your kid who used to say "aguh" to get tickled again is now simply moving your hands and laughing? Or is that just a boy being two?
I don't think I'd see something like that as a loss of skills. Unless there were a large vocabulary that he was now not saying.

For a while my son waved bye bye and then he quit doing it. Now he's doing it again. I think kids pick up on things and then when they're learning a lot of new things they give some things up for a while.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#12 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3peanuts View Post
I don't think I'd see something like that as a loss of skills. Unless there were a large vocabulary that he was now not saying.

For a while my son waved bye bye and then he quit doing it. Now he's doing it again. I think kids pick up on things and then when they're learning a lot of new things they give some things up for a while.
Cool, that's what I figured. He just doesn't say much to begin with, so it was slightly disconcerting.
#13 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dawg View Post
First of all NONE of it is bad parenting, I am sure.

Yes, he is an angel one minute and and screaming demon the next.
Same here, with my little one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3peanuts View Post
Loss of skills is never normal, IMO.

I have heard that inconsistency(in terms of sensory issues like you're talking about) is a hallmark of neurological dysfunction.

My son is very inconsistent. At home he usually does well, sometimes he does well in public, sometimes it's completely opposite.
My little one is the same as this...very inconsistent. Some days the signs of Autism are so obvious. Other days, there isn't one sign.

Quote:
Thank you!
A pop out is a word that your child says that they cant normally say, and cant repeat and you dont hear it again for a long time.
Yes, my little one does this too.

So far, we have a diagnosis of speech delay, motor delay, and hypotonia, and high sensory needs. We have a preliminary diagnosis that might be high on the spectrum Autism. More testing is needed.

I know exactly how you feel, OP. It is very much a waiting game.
#14 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Fay

Yes, autistic children often behave differently in different settings or with different people. Totally true for my DS1. His worst meltdowns are at home with me because he knows that he is safe with me. Pop-outs happen with some kids, not so much with others.

I'm also in MI, we moved to our current school district because of its excellent preschool program for autism. Coincidentally, I've also found amazing private services within 5 miles of my home (speech, OT, pediatric dentist w/ASD experience, private special needs gymnastics coach, special needs day camp, support group for mothers) within 5 miles of my home. DS1 is making great progress because of the support we've received. PM me if you need help finding a preschool or private services.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page