epilepsy med question - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey everyone, just wanted to update since being on the new dosage weve had one seizure and none since then Yaaaaay!

Im sure his neuro wants to do another EEG, I just dont know when. His first EEG was so traumatic on him, i dont want to make him go through it again any time soon unless we HAVE to. He cannot STAND being held or strapped down. And signs and symptoms of him seizing are a blank look, and he falls over, usually he will wet himself. Other times he does the same thing and he will start to twitch, not his whole body, just parts, like hand, or arm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 AM

Why are they strapping him down for an EEG?! He should be asleep - sleep deprived and/or sedated so he doesn't wake up. I would seriously ask about that. He may be strapped down for a CT scan..but even then, for MRI and CT they can still sedate him. These tests aren't fun, but they certainly don't have to be traumatic.

What you are describing actually doesn't sound like absence (petit mal) seizures, but partial/partial complex or focal seizures. These seizures are focused to one specific area of the brain usually (such as the temporal or parietal lobe) and can cause exactly what you are describing. Seizures like grand mal or absense are called general seizures because the electrical impulse goes through the whole brain (vs. one little area).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear he's doing better!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 AM

I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
What you are describing actually doesn't sound like absence (petit mal) seizures, but partial/partial complex or focal seizures. These seizures are focused to one specific area of the brain usually (such as the temporal or parietal lobe) and can cause exactly what you are describing. Seizures like grand mal or absense are called general seizures because the electrical impulse goes through the whole brain (vs. one little area).
Do you think he is having several types of seizures? My daughter has absense seizures and focal seizures.

Also, my daughter has never been strapped down for an EEG. For the short EEG she was asleep 1/2 the time and awake 1/2 the time. For an extended EEG she is awake and asleep on her own schedule - although in the hospital.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

they tried to sedate him and he was sleep deprived but he managed to stay awake. They didnt want to put him all the way out, just make him tired. But he fought it.

And the EEG showed he was having discharges from his whole brain according to the neuro. He does have a lot of absence seizures. Those are the main types he has. (well not since hes started the medication anyway) He just gets a blank look over his face, and spaces out.

ok sorry this is rushed, gotta go, kiddos screaming!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:27 PM

Some neurologists do not want to use sedation because it can interfere with the brain enough as to not get an accurate picture of what's going on.

Also, we've used sedation twice and it didn't work either time so now we just hold him down.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy

User Tag List