Tips for my family during *my* 72 hour eeg - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They say I can't shower or anything, which will be great for my OCD . They say it has a battery backup but that the battery only works for about an hour so I pretty much have to be hooked up to an outlet.

How am I going to explain this to my kids? How do I keep this from making them anxious? And then how do I keep them from ripping off the sensors and trying to wrestle with me and stuff? And how do I help dw out with the kids?

I almost asked them to admit me into the hospital instead. But I think that might be worse for the kids. Oh, I don't know. Anyone ever managed this?

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#2 of 10 Old 08-14-2008, 04:04 PM

I have no clue - the hospital does sound easier on you but like you said might be worse for the kids. How old are the kiddos again? We do social stories for *everything* in our house so that's the first thing that comes to mind. Draw a picture of a mommy with wires poking out of her head hehe.

GOOD LUCK!
#3 of 10 Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Make their own head gear hook ups like yours. Use yarn or some other stiff string, tape them on their heads with a little bit of aluminum foil around the tip, make and connect to a little box (maybe mac and cheese box) as the receiver. Have them try to keep them on, maybe a contest to understand that being still keeps them attached. Make a belt to hold the box...

If you make it fun, I imagine they'll get caught up in the pretend play. Not sure why you are having it done clinically, but a simple explanation about how our nerves help us to be awake or sleepy or weak/tired, could cover it generally.

HTH, Pat

I have a blog.
#4 of 10 Old 08-14-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for the good ideas, and for the wishes of good luck.

In answer to the questions, my kids are two (almost two and a half) and three (three and four months), both developmentally a little on the younger side though both are super ALERT. Clinical reason for the EEG is verification of (I am assuming subclinical) seizures and to get more information about the origin and pattern of seizures. I already had abnormal sleep study followed by abnormal standard EEG.

For what it is worth, my ds has had an EEG before, but it was some time back and I'm not sure whether he'd have more than a vague memory of it. Neither kid has had a 72 hour EEG.

Edited to add: My kids are pretty accustomed to medical stuff because I have type I diabetes and my ds also had a lot of medical needs in his first year and a half of life. They like to help me prime my insulin pump and stuff LOL. But still, mommy having to be hooked up to an outlet for several days is just weird.

#5 of 10 Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 PM

Oh, and get a 50 ft extension cord!

Best wishes,
Pat

I have a blog.
#6 of 10 Old 08-15-2008, 12:33 AM

Yea I'm voting for the extension cord as well. Definitely make it a fun event, play is awesome for working through any anxieties that the kids may have from it. I'm guessing by the end of day 1 they'll have acclimated to it.
#7 of 10 Old 08-15-2008, 12:46 AM

id be admitted :/ but thats just me
#8 of 10 Old 08-15-2008, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

LOL

Thanks ya'll. Oh, and an extension cord...never would have thought of that!

#9 of 10 Old 08-15-2008, 03:04 AM

My dh just had a 5-day, but it was in-patient. GL!
#10 of 10 Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
LOL

Thanks ya'll. Oh, and an extension cord...never would have thought of that!

Hook the kids up with a pretend one too. You all will be a tangled, silly mess. Like "Twister".

Maybe "practice" in advance, so it all becomes a game. Then they can play with their imaginations with it. Hook up dolls, trucks, stuffed animals, books, trains to "EEGs".

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page