Mothering Forum banner

Wow! Who, What, and Where Questions!

582 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BookGoddess 
#1 ·
ds (a month shy of 3.5) started asking "what is that?" a couple days ago. His first "w" word question. It is so cute because he has so many articulation challenges, but this sentence...you can just tell he is working hard to make it as clear as possible. It is quite possibly his most articulate sentence. It is so sweet. It's not, "What's that?" (or "Wat dat?" or any variations). It is, "What is that?" Plain as day.

Then, yesterday his aunt and cousins came for a visit. This morning we were all eating breakfast together. After breakfast, everyone cleared their places, except one person, who left a plate of eggs on the table, apparently wanting to come back to it. "Who that is?" ds asked, trying to figure out to whom it belonged.

And this afternoon, I told him that he and dfd could split a cookie I bought as a special treat for the visit. We went into the kitchen and he said, "Where cookies, mama?"

Wow! I am impressed with my little guy and all these things he is learning!

#2 ·
OMG
:!!! This morning I was heading out to church (my work). ds, who wasn't going because he was heading out of town with dw and dfd to go visit his grandma and grandpa's house for a couple days, asked, "How kids?"

I couldn't understand what he said. I said, "Help kids?" trying to figure out if I was right. He looked disappointed that I didn't get it right, and said it more slowly again before saying, "at church." "Help?" He looked disturbed and tried again. He went very, very slowly, and it was a lot of work. "Hoooow ma...ny?" I reflected back, "How many kids will be at church today?" He looked satisfied. "How many kids at church?" he said back.

It's the summertime, and our church has much lower attendance during the summer (a lot of folks travel in our region during the summer). We've been telling ds that in the fall, all the kids will be coming back. He has been looking forward to it. I guess he was trying to figure out if fall is here yet

This is just so amazing.

#9 ·
P.S. You know what I think *might* have contributed to this? The newish "Who Has the Frog" Signing Time video. Of course this is only speculation, and it could have nothing to do with it, but it is interesting to note that we got that one about a month or two ago, and it features the themes of "who," "what," "where," "when," and "how?"

Also, he might have picked up "how many?" from the Counting Practice Signing Time video. He has had that one longer, and hasn't watched it for a while because (1) we lost the dvd and (2) it was confusing him to have the numbers be out of sequence since he is learning to rote count. But he found the case the other day and it may have triggered the memory of the value of that question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.