Dad with Aspergers Syndrome - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-15-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please give me some direction...i am married to a wonderful man and we have two beautiful boys, ages 4 and 6. I'm running into some parenting problems with him, however. My husband has Aspergers Syndrome and looks at the world through his Asperger's "glasses". He becomes extremely upset and screams at the kids over little things...mixing together two decks of cards, standing too close to the TV while playing video games, accidentally spilling a cup of water at the dinner table, etc. He sees everything as black or white. If I give him an example of how to parent and a similar situation (but not exact) comes up, he can't translate the first example over to the new situation. I've tried to get him to go to couseling, but he refuses. I've called our local Aspergers chapter to see if they have any parenting classes for adults with Aspergers, but they don't. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I decided to start telling him if a situation he responds to is blown out of proportion because he has his Aspergers glasses on, but he takes offense. I would really appreciate if anyone has been through this and if you have any suggestions. Thanks!
#2 of 2 Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish I could give you the answer but I don't have one. What I can tell you is that my bf deals with a simillar sit. Her oldest son also has AD and she now finds it helpfull to use her dh to help her ds. Try finding a way to use your dh, everyone has gifts if you look at his issues as gifts and try to find ways to use it to your advantage it might make it easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page