Mothering Forum banner

You know you live in a SN household when... (Feel free to add yours!)

1K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  natmother 
#1 ·
... Your daughter plays school w/ her friend and tells the pretend class, "Raise your hand if you have Asperger's. ... 1, 2, 3, 4. Ok, 4. Now raise your hand if you have Sensory Processing Disorder. Ok, 1. And that's me!"

:

See less See more
#3 ·
Her friend has no clue what dd was even talking about, but the other mom (a SpEd teacher) and I sat here listening to them play and it was all we could do not to make the girls conscious of our laughter.

#4 ·
I want to add to your thread that you know you live in a SN household when there are laminated Boardmaker instructions pasted everwhere like when friends use the bathroom they know the steps to using the toilet and the steps on handwashing because they see the STOP sign asking if they've washed their hands before exiting the bathroom!

I get the most comments on the "wipe your bottom" drawing!

#8 ·
I haven't seen board maker but I make my own boards. Google the word and click on images. I did "wipe Bottom" and that was interesting but they did have an image of a kid on a toilet wiping. I fill a page and them have them laminated at the copy shop ($2) and cut them out and put stick on magnets on the back. Then put them on a magnet board. and switch as needed. Whole thing puts me out about $10 a board.

#9 ·
**When you start diagnosing your pets with spd and adhd because their behavior reminds you of your sn child. (our dog wont eat food that's too hot or too cold...therefore I immediately think she has SPD)

** When your house/furniture/bedrooms are set up to accomodate your sn child, not to impress Martha Stewart.

**When loud shrieks escape through your front windows as you pull up to your house but you are not concerned because they are "happy" shrieks

**When the song "We Will Rock You" is sung 10 bazillion times a day and is used during "rocking to sleep time".

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntLavender View Post
I want to add to your thread that you know you live in a SN household when there are laminated Boardmaker instructions pasted everwhere like when friends use the bathroom they know the steps to using the toilet and the steps on handwashing because they see the STOP sign asking if they've washed their hands before exiting the bathroom!

:lmao

ah yes. Our house too.

I could add, that you actually own a laminator.
and buy velcro in bulk
and you make sure you have a big enough purse to hold diapers for your 2 & 6 year old.

#15 ·
When you have wiped your 5 year old's bottom more times in one day than both of your 2 year olds combined, and most of the diaper laundry is her underpants, shorts, pj's, and jeans that have poop on them.

#16 ·
Oh I thought of another one:

When you alert your children that a psychologist is coming by to observe their sn sibling and no one asks any questions.

*Mamajody- I totally know what you mean about the laundry. We have undies, shorts, pants, jammies etc strewn about our house throughout the day with various sizes of "pee spots".....fun times!

#18 ·
When your dh gets up and goes into the girls' room and says: "Hi Violet. Hi Violet. HI VIOLET. Sigh. I hate when she ignores me."

When your other daughter says she needs some white paper and you give her 3 pieces and she starts crying because she's "worried that it isn't enough"

in her defense, it wasn't, she has already made about 7 pieces of art (I don't say drawings because there is cutting and taping and glue involved) but did she have to CRY about it when the 3 pieces she had were totally blank and ready for coloring???

Sigh.

-Vijay

#19 ·
Cardboard food boxes and masking tape are your best friend. His PCA (AKA Grandma) discovered this and it will keep him (and his siblings) busy for HOURS. They build houses and cities out of them.

You have a cardboard box doorbell cover taped to the side of your house. (at least I think thats what it is, lmao)

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
When your 4 year old draws a picture of "your friend Susan" your EI coordinator.

Awwww!

Reminds me of something DD says. When we're on an outing I ask her "who are we going to see when we go home", she says "Daddy, Abby (our dog), Grandma, Grandpa, and Jessica (the skills trainer). Jessica is now a part of our family.

#23 ·
*When you tell the kids that you're planning a family vacation and their first question is, "Do we get to stay at the Ronald McDonald House again?".

*When your teens are so accustomed to finding stray "doods" (compact chunks of poo) around the house that they matter-of-factly clean them up with a wipe all on their own...and you wonder if that's an emotionally healthy attitude to have towards stray doods in the house.

*When guests can't leave your house until you've undone the multiple locks intended to keep certain family members in.

*When the other kids are so used to Mom and Dad tag-teaming any family outing that they are absolutely amazed at the rare occasion when Mom and Dad appear in the family car together.

Joni and kids, incl. Michaela
:, almost 12 and going on 22, syringomyelia; and Gabe
:, 9, T21 and autism

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntLavender View Post

I was actually just looking around my house at all the laminated boards and PECS and thinking... yep.. you can tell we have a SN household!
:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.