Need ideas for preschool pecs or social story cards? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-09-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen some websites here with social stories or clip art on them but none of them seem to be "simple" enough for Boo. Many of them have pics or faces on them that can be misunderstood by him.

I'd like to put something together at home that can help him identify his feelings and give him a way to communicate when he doesn't want to talk.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#2 of 5 Old 11-09-2008, 01:26 AM

Does he read faces/emotions in your family better than with pictures of people he doesn't know? If so, you could photograph you or your partner or his sibling communicating different feelings and turn those into story cards. You could also print out two of them, paste them onto cardboard squares and laminate them, and then, using velcro on the backs of the cards, have him "match" the feeling he's having with the matching card that is already velcroed to a poster board on the wall. Or you could use the poster board to help tell a social story in a sequence with pics of your family as the main characters.

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#3 of 5 Old 11-09-2008, 11:21 AM

There's a lot of links at this site. You might find something, but you may have to do a bit of "hit or miss" searching.
#4 of 5 Old 11-09-2008, 01:18 PM

I've had good luck with this site. Just click on the different icons. There are nice story boards with pecs, Pecs story for things like brushing teeth, appropriate behaviorhelp and a ton more. There is a feelings chart on the last link but I think there is a much similar one somewhere on that site. The best thing is that most of it is offered in PDF so you can print it out for free!! :
#5 of 5 Old 11-09-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! These are all great! Now I just have to figure out *how* to implement the pics for Boo.....

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page