Mothering Forum banner

SSI Denial for BP & Tourette's?

744 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  my3peanuts 
#1 ·
OK, so shockingly, ds's SSI claim was denied (though he has been dx'd with juvenile onset bipolar, ADHD & Tourette's syndrome).
:

I am frustrated by vast amounts of paperwork (thank you lifelong NLD) & I don't have a clue why he was denied- there is no debate about his dxs. Are none of these considered official 'disabilities'?!
Really?! (I suspect if I didn't hs him, his 'teacher's' opinion would be more readily considered. There is not one person who knows him who can't see that it affects his daily life & abilities; this is beyond lame.)

(Yes, I will appeal, but Lord, I *really* need to get through the BS as expediently as possible. It has been a rough year.)

Am I just not 'getting' what they consider a disability? Multiple mental hospital stays, lifelong necessary (and only half-effective, if that) meds, impulsive & violent inability to control his behavior- what am I missing?

I am truly disheartened. (Hell, the examiner wasn't even the psychologist, just her assistant- though that's not what she claimed to the SS folks, for reimbursement.) I'm tired.

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, I'm so sorry
Second, did they give you a reason for denying him? It could be because your income is too high
If you don't see a reason on the form, I would call the caseworker and ask for an explanation.

SSI is such a nightmare!!!!

#3 ·
Yeah, my income is nil right now, that's not it (and thank you for the hugs! I need one). It's just saying that he didn't meet the standards for disability. wtf?

(Believe me, I'll be calling tomorrow; I just got it on Friday afternoon. Trust me, no one in that SS office has any doubts locally
; he nearly shut down the place. Our interviewer had tears in her eyes watching us; him trying to maintain, me trying to gently but firmly calm him down.)

It's a State decision made by someone who never met him, on the recommendations of an assistant to a psychologist who spoke to us for half an hour (not the many qualified child psychiatrists who have dx'd him). SUCKS!

Well, at least he got in a p-doc's office; I get evaluated in a few days by an EDD (? Have mercy, why not a neuropsychologist or p-doc?!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.