Angelina Jolie talks about nursing twins - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2008, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made sure to tell the lady at the park (who claimed she just 'lost her milk' at 9 months and her baby self weaned) that I was sure to not introduce any pacifiers or formula for the first two months because I wanted to establish a good long term supply.
Yes, I think it's more of the person you meet in the park who has a greater impression on your bf-ing experience than some celeb. The whole "my milk dried up" may be true in some respects if the mom didn't keep on enough weight, or did any type of scheduling. I was shocked when I learned in LLL that delaying feeding begins weaning. It might not happen for months, but when a mom doesn't "cue feed", weaning begins.
I don't judge Angelina anymore than I would judge another woman for stopping nursing. I don't hold her to a different level because of her celebrity. I don't walk in her shoes, I don't know her babies or anything else about her life.
I absolutely agree!!!!!!
I see several references in here to Angelina's twins being premature. Do we know that? I haven't read much about them so I haven't delved into the details.
I actually took the time to google it (I'm crazy), and she was due mid-August and delivered mid-July. It was similar time frame to my DD1 who was 5 weeks early, and that was enough to present serious nursing challenges to us. AND she had a c-section. From what I've heard, it's a tough recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 12:37 PM

I didn't think about the losing weight thing. She did get awful skinny awful quickly.

I guess it just makes me sad. I desire for all babies, multiples included, to be nursed for at least a year. A perfect world, I guess.....
Old 11-27-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadee View Post
I think it sends the message that "this is so difficult to do that even Angelina Jolie, rich supermom, could only manage it for three months."
And I have actually heard a mama say just this recently.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Old 11-27-2008, 05:21 PM

It's amazing that she managed to breastfeed at all seeing as she gave birth here in France - France has one of the poorest rates for breastfeeding if she had really wanted support and a good birth AND give birth in europe - she should have gone to Norway or one of the other scandanavian countries - anyway it's a shame it was only for 3 months, but I guess that 3 months is better than nothing at all, I can only imagine nursing twins LOL but goodness I admire all women who breastfeed twins and more, you are all godesses in my book!!!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
Old 11-27-2008, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
I don't mean to give the impression that my life is a piece of cake (or hers either, for that matter). Just if you can afford the help to just lay in bed and nurse why wouldn't you?
For me, just laying in bed and nursing would make me horrifically depressed. I need to be active. I need to get outside at least some every day. Failure to do this is very bad for my health.

I can't speak for Angie, obviously. But there is at least one reason why she might not just want to lie in bed all the time. And looking at her life (six kids! an acting career! extensive charity work!), I don't get the impression that she really *enjoys* lazing around. Honestly, I think this may be a case where, if we lived in a more accepting society, she might have been able to go longer. I think that most women in the U.S. feel a lot of pressure to stop nursing because they can't nurse AND do other things - can't nurse in front of my boss, can't nurse on the bus, can't nurse at the grocery store, boss won't give breaks for pumping, that meeting conflicts with my pumping schedule... It's that pressure that makes women think dang, it's too hard, and that pressure affects us all, without regard to our economic resources.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
For me, just laying in bed and nursing would make me horrifically depressed. I need to be active. I need to get outside at least some every day. Failure to do this is very bad for my health.

I can't speak for Angie, obviously. But there is at least one reason why she might not just want to lie in bed all the time. And looking at her life (six kids! an acting career! extensive charity work!), I don't get the impression that she really *enjoys* lazing around. Honestly, I think this may be a case where, if we lived in a more accepting society, she might have been able to go longer. I think that most women in the U.S. feel a lot of pressure to stop nursing because they can't nurse AND do other things - can't nurse in front of my boss, can't nurse on the bus, can't nurse at the grocery store, boss won't give breaks for pumping, that meeting conflicts with my pumping schedule... It's that pressure that makes women think dang, it's too hard, and that pressure affects us all, without regard to our economic resources.
I think you took me slightly out of context.

What I meant was, that I cannot just focus on nursing my babies. I have to take care of my other four children (who are the same ages as Angie's kids, btw) and keep my house and run all the errands and pay all the bills and do all the shopping etc. I don't have any help. I do not have family close by. I DO have some AMAZING friends who I thank God for but they all have children and families of their own. What I am saying is not that she should lay in her bed all day every day (goodness! that would make me crazy!) but that if all you have to do to subsist, is lay around and learn to nurse your children while everyone else takes care of the banking and shopping and cleaning of the other children and cooking of the meals, then why the heck not? It's ONE year for goodness sakes.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:38 PM

My grandmother nursed my mother and her twin for 2.5 years and at at the time of their birth, they were the youngest of 9 children. (I believe gramma weaned them after she got preggo with #10.)

So... Just sayin'. It can be done. If Angelina nursed her's for 3 months, then good for her. But I don't think her job or other kids are to "blame", it was her choice.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

Old 11-28-2008, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
I think you took me slightly out of context.

What I meant was, that I cannot just focus on nursing my babies. I have to take care of my other four children (who are the same ages as Angie's kids, btw) and keep my house and run all the errands and pay all the bills and do all the shopping etc. I don't have any help. I do not have family close by. I DO have some AMAZING friends who I thank God for but they all have children and families of their own. What I am saying is not that she should lay in her bed all day every day (goodness! that would make me crazy!) but that if all you have to do to subsist, is lay around and learn to nurse your children while everyone else takes care of the banking and shopping and cleaning of the other children and cooking of the meals, then why the heck not? It's ONE year for goodness sakes.
Let's be accurate - she doesn't seem to have had any trouble learning to nurse. That part went fine. She decided not to keep doing it, which is very different from not being able to get it started.

I'm glad that you managed to do this - you hero! But I don't think other women (how ever rich, well-supported or politically significant they are) should be held to standards that are expressed as "Soandso managed this, so you should too."

Yeah, it's just one year. One year is a very long time for someone who is flat guaranteed that if she ever tries to NIP, she will be surrounded by photographers.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
She decided not to keep doing it, which is very different from not being able to get it started.

I'm glad that you managed to do this - you hero! But I don't think other women (how ever rich, well-supported or politically significant they are) should be held to standards that are expressed as "Soandso managed this, so you should too."
I was just answering the many comments about the size of her family and the busy-ness of her life. Yes, I'm sure she's quite busy and I KNOW what it is to have lots of little children.

You're right, she CHOSE to stop nursing her babies and from what I can find that was based on how time consuming she found nursing twins to be and how hard she found tandem nursing to be.

I suppose I come to MDC because other women here "get" the sacrifices we all make to be sure our children get mother's milk and cloth on their bums and AP parenting in their life. I didn't suppose I'd have to be called to the mat to defend these things. Twins are different. There are additional choices to be made and usually are additional difficulties to be faced and I am supportive of a woman who says "I cannot nurse them because of x,y,z reason" but I cannot support "the photographers will get me" as one of them.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Let's be accurate - she doesn't seem to have had any trouble learning to nurse. That part went fine. She decided not to keep doing it, which is very different from not being able to get it started.
What I believe Angelina said was, she never got the hang on tandem nursing them (the comment about how the books just said you could football hold each baby and that wasn't easy for her) and so nursing them individually which is what she did the bulk of the time (according to that interview) took too long so she gave up. That's what she said. Had she had more support she probably could have found better ways to tandem nurse. I know I didn't love the double football hold myself but was able to find photos online of other twin moms nursing and experimented with different positions and pillows, etc. until I found something that worked for me. Ultimately I still personally preferred to nurse them solo for most of that first year and that was fine for ME but what I'm saying is her interview made it sound as though she couldn't get the hang of the one twin tandem nursing position she knew of and nursing them one at a time took too long so she gave up. Her choice of course but it's a shame IMO b/c if that's what quiting was really about it could have probably been easily avoided by more education/help.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:28 PM

She nursed longer than I did with my twins. I wish I had known about MDC, LLL, etc, back then... oh well. At least I didn't vax or circ, right? LOL.

But yes, she definitely had the resources -- money AND time -- to get help continuing bf'ing if she really wanted to. Which is kind of disappointing that she didn't want to continue.

I see that on one hand, she DID nurse twins, which may prove to some people that OMG it CAN be done! I did like the cover of W magazine with the pic of her bf'ing. However, the converse is that those same people who do what celebs do (or take it as gospel) see that she stopped at 3m.

Don't even get me started on 100% formula feeder Jennifer Lopez and her quote about her twins, "You read the books and make the best decisions." In what book does it say formula is best?

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 

User Tag List