How hard is nursing twins? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How hard is nursing twins?
I've never nursed twins. I have no idea what it's like to nurse 2 same age newborns. 22 22.22%
I've only nursed twins. It was easier than I expected. 8 8.08%
I've only nursed twins. It was hard, but nothing too overwhelming. 5 5.05%
I've only nursed twins. It was really, REALLY hard. 5 5.05%
I've only nursed twins. It absolutely did not work out for us. 4 4.04%
I've nursed twins and a singleton. The twins were easier than the singleton. 9 9.09%
I've nursed twins and a singleton. The twins were about as hard as the singleton. 7 7.07%
I've nursed twins and a singleton. The twins were a little harder, but not by much. 24 24.24%
I've nursed twins and a singleton. The twins were much, MUCH harder than the singleton. 9 9.09%
I've nursed twins and a singleton. The twins were pretty much impossible; singleton was not. 0 0%
I've nursed twins and a singleton. Nursing simply did not work out for us for either experience. 2 2.02%
I've nursed twins and a singleton. Singleton did not work out for us at all, but twins did. 1 1.01%
Other. 3 3.03%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2008, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted "other". The twins and my three singletons were all easy and none of them were hard.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 04:57 PM

I voted that my twins were a bit easier than my singletons. I've always had issues to overcome but none have been *that bad* in my perception - awful cracked bleeding nipples from latching problems with both my singletons and with twins I had a sleepy nurser with a short frenulum to overcome. Honestly I thought the twins were a little easier b/c nursing w/o intense pain *was* easier despite other issues than it had been with my singeltons (and I credit that to my previous experiences teaching me how important a proper latch is and making sure I was getting one each and every time). I've also never entertained the possiblity that nursing wasn't going to workout - ever - and I think that's helped. I remember shortly after having my first baby (singleton) I was at the mall buying a nursing bra and another mom gave me a "keep it up - don't quit" pep talk and I remember thinking how odd that was b/c quiting had never ever occured to me. I was nursing my baby - end of story.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
I think, most of the time, the FIRST breatfeeding experience is the hardest, regardless of how many babies you have.
This is true for us. It was a rough road at first with our singleton who was first (though in hindsight, not too rough a road).

The twins are our 2nd and 3rd born, and nursing has been very easy, especially compared to the first time.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
Not if you had a singleton with a latch problem, horrible reflux, or prematurity issues, and then healthy, term twins.
Very true.
What I really meant those was just that newborn twins is hard--feeding aside. The lack of sleep, the one of you/two of them thing, etc. I found newborn twins to be quite overwhelming. Add nursing and/or supply issues to that when it's so very important to you and it can feel crushing.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 11-30-2008, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wish you'd put in an option for tandem nursing. My girls are only 16.5m apart in age, and I tandem nursed them for over a year. I had a friend with twins around the same age as DD2, and we often compared notes. For the most part, she seemed to have an easier time parenting her twins than I had parenting my two- but there were other factors as well- she had 2 older kids and a stable marriage, and I was first learning how to be a mother and my marriage was falling apart.

I do have experience nursing 2 babies and had PLENTY of milk for both- DD1 practically gave up on solids for a while after DD2 was born. I had 2 in my bed, was alone with 2 babies all day long while DH was at work, and I had the added challenge of keeping DD1 from choking on something or climbing and falling- typical toddler stuff. With 2 newborns they both stay put when you put them down!

But, no, I've never nursed 2 newborns simultaneously, or had more than one baby who needed head support while nursing. Nor have I ever nursed a low-birthweight or near-term baby- DD2 was 9 lbs at birth and a lot "sturdier" than many newborns are when they're part of a multiple birth. And, had I experienced any undersupply problems, I would have, no question, limited the older one's nursing and fully BF the newborn- not something you can do with twins.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 12-01-2008, 01:34 PM

The twins came first for me, so I had nothing to compare that nursing relationship to. We had some latch issues in the beginning, and I had to pump to build up a supply, and there were a few days of suplementation. Nothing like that with my singleton. But once we got started, the hardest thing about nursing twins is the simple fact that two babies have to be fed and cared for. And no matter how they're fed, they must be fed, and so nursing seemed easier than any other option.

Nursing a singleton is easier in my opinion, because it's just the two of us. I can nurse lying down, and if I want to nurse while at the computer, it's possible.

But nursing twins is possible. It took me awhile to enjoy the nursing relationship, instead of "ok, they have to be fed again", but we did get there.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 12-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I wish you'd put in an option for tandem nursing.
She didn't because this spun off of a thread about Angelia Jolie nursing her twins until 3 months and then quitting because it was "too hard". So we're just talking about twins.

Oh and, anyone hear the latest tabloid news? Supposedly AJ is 3 months pregnant. Interesting, wouldn't it be, that's just about the time one would lose ones milk.....
Old 12-01-2008, 03:07 PM

My twins were 37-weekers born via C-section, were very very sleepy and jaundiced, were supplemented with formula to treat the jaundice before my milk came in (one was only 4-1/2 lbs & didn't have much wiggle room to let the jaundice run it's course as it did for my 6-1/2 lb twin). I didn't know what I was doing and when they were nursing as opposed to comfort sucking. I had to harass them to keep them awake while nursing to get anything from the breast and eventually had to use the SNS to get them nursing. The first 3 weeks were very very very hard. I cried every day for hours. I had a post partum doula & if it were not for her support, I probably would not have made it past a few weeks because the girls would have been losing massive amounts of weight.

After the first month, nursing twins was no big deal. People would be amazed that I was nursing both & I always said it was the easiest part of parenting twins. I never had mastitis, thrush, latch issues, etc. There were funny times when they were toddlers and doing yoga moves on my lap while nursing - you know in a downward dog pose, standing on my lap with nipple in mouth.

My singleton was a nearly 41 week-er, weighed 10 lbs. Had a natural VBAC. He nursed great from the start & other than me having milk for 2 and severe engorgement in the beginning, we've had no problems.

So, it was much much much much harder in the beginning with twins, but then it was only a little bit harder during their toddler phases of wiggly nursers and nursing every 10 minutes for 2 seconds phases.

Oh, and I nursed over 2 years longer than AJ & it was very sexy, too,

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 AM

I had my singleton first and then my twins. I voted easier because it was a night and day different on how much easier it was! I EPed my ds for a month because he was hypoglycemic, deep suctioned, and nipple confused. I finally got him to latch at one month old and we were on the shield for 4.5 months. It was SOOOO hard. I got mastitis, he had a weak suck and a poor latch, I got through it but it was a rough road.

My twins were born via c-section and it did take longer for my milk to come in but those two could latch onto a wall and get milk . I found having two little bodies, not so tough. It was a little extra juggling but it went so much faster because there was no switching sides. I just got an extra boppy (had one already from DS) and I'd put one in each on the nursing couch and I'd put them on the ez to nurse one at a time. Easy peasy.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 12-07-2008, 01:38 AM

I've only nursed twins. At first it was way hard but now it's super easy.

My sweet babies arrived 6w early and spent a week or so in the NICU with bottles. My bb's don't respond well to the pump so I just couldn't express enough for them. By 2 months though they were exclusively breastfed, thanks to the super LC Leslye, the great support of DH, and lots of patience on my part.

We use the EZ2Nurse pillow and I think I spent an entire month sitting under the pillow. I even started watching TV! Gradually their time spent nursing decreased. The wrangling gets easier as their head control improves. Their latches improved with practice and as their mouths grew bigger. Basically, it all gets easier.

Now they are 9 months old and I'm hoping we can keep going w/o any surprises!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:30 AM

I voted other. I nursed my singletons. My plan was to nurse the twins. However, due to some serious family issues, me being very sick (still dealing with BP issues and they are 18 months now), the twins being in NICU, I just didn't have the energy to attempt more then a week with nursing. Sometimes, I regret it. But I really had to focus on getting me healthy in order to care for everyone else.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 AM

Just to be difficult here's my response...

Nursing twins was a little more difficult but not by much. Nursing 3 was a little bit harder than that. Nursing 4 is definitely harder than that. I'm afraid to even think about what could happennext if this pattern continues...

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
Old 12-09-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleheather79 View Post
Just to be difficult here's my response...

Nursing twins was a little more difficult but not by much. Nursing 3 was a little bit harder than that. Nursing 4 is definitely harder than that. I'm afraid to even think about what could happennext if this pattern continues...

seriously, you're doing an amazing job

::

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

Old 12-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Great question! (Not a twin mama....at least yet. But we are looking into adoption and I will breastfeed adopted baby/babies plus my own depending on ages......so they will be like twins from different wombs! )
How are you able to breast feed if you didn't become pregnant? I am definitely clueless!

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:46 AM

I voted "much much harder" because we had a really rough start. They were in the NICU for weeks and weren't able to breastfeed full time until just after their due date, at a month and a half old! All that pumping was hard, and struggling to teach them to latch while keeping up the milk supply. REALLY hard, but when they started getting it, it was a matter of days before they were nursing 24/7. : Extremely hard, but worth every bit of my (many) tearful breakdowns. It's been a month of exclusive BFing, so it can be done after that kind of start!!

Now that we've gotten going, it's no different than nursing one except I have to be more set up to tandem nurse (get the nursing pillow out instead of doing it wherever). And I have to plan feedings out more carefully, because I can't tandem NIP.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:22 AM

I didn't vote because I didn't really work into one category.

For us, it didn't work out too well at the breast, but I became an exclusive pumper for the first 7 months. For the last 6 weeks, I've had to supplement as my supply tanked when I got sick and took cold medicine! (what was I thinking???)

Anyway, one could have nursed well, but honestly there was no way I was gonna do one for one and another for the other. Took me 30 minutes to pump. Over an hour for feeding baby A at the breast! Not worth it for my sanity. I felt as long as they got my breastmilk, I felt perfectly fine with our decision.

User Tag List