Is this for real? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-01-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A family friend with 7 month old twins told us at Thanksgiving dinner that they did a test on her placenta and it revealed that she will NEVER have a singleton birth. They told her that she will always conceive multiples. This same woman told me that her twins are "identical fraternal". The only information I can find on this indicates that while this is possible, the female twin would never be able to reproduce and would have other health issues, I think it's called Turner's syndrome? This woman doesn't know anything about that, and I would think this is something a medical professional would have clued her into, no?

Another guest at dinner (who also has twins) said that his GF's test results came back with the same information (not the part about Turner's).

I have NEVER heard of this! Is this for real?
#2 of 24 Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any chance the two have the same doctor?

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#3 of 24 Old 12-01-2008, 12:02 PM

I think they are both :

How can anyone judge by looking at a women's placenta how many eggs she will drop or if they will split?? That doesn't even make sense?

And she has ID/fraternal That happens in less then 1% and the like you said, the girl would have many medical problems. And any doctor would have informed her of this.

Sounds to me like having twins isn't enough excitement to her and she has to make things up I feel for the babies

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#4 of 24 Old 12-01-2008, 02:23 PM

Was crack served as the first course at this dinner? Because it sounds like both of them smoked a lot of it.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#5 of 24 Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Was crack served as the first course at this dinner?

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#6 of 24 Old 12-01-2008, 02:52 PM

It sounds like they're both full of it.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#7 of 24 Old 12-01-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
Was crack served as the first course at this dinner? Because it sounds like both of them smoked a lot of it.

I have no idea, but wow.

Babywearing, breastfeeding, Mother of MoMo twins and their older brother.
#8 of 24 Old 12-01-2008, 03:54 PM

Maybe she meant "the kind of fraternal that look really, really similar?" Like, "identical" fraternals? It's possible she feels defensive about fraternal twins, thinking (or having gotten the vibe from other MoMs, because I've heard of competition about this) that MZ twins are cooler or whatever. So as a result, she leads with a disclaimer about how similar they are?

Otherwise, yeah, the issues surrounding Turner's Syndrome should have rung a bell with her!

As far as the bit about examining the placenta (and that would be placentas in her case, right?) to divine their reproductive future.....dude, they've GOT to have the same (kooky) doctor. Right? RIGHT????

That is a bit of misinformation I've never heard before. I'd buy that one woman mangled it, but both? (Or was it just the boyfriend reporting on his girlfriend's test results, without her there to confirm? Maybe he just was mixed up and thought, "Yeah, that sounds about right.")

Otherwise, it sounds like two different women have gotten creative with giving their partners elaborate reasoning about why they can't/shouldn't/won't get pregnant again. "I'd love to, but we just can't. We'll ALWAYS have multiples."
#9 of 24 Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 PM

That's what I was thinking Amy! I think they were definitely smoking some good stuff.
#10 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 01:56 AM

Considering most women ovulate 2 eggs at the same time at some point in their reproductive life, and that anyone can have identicals, yeah, I'd say it was the crack talking.
#11 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 02:18 AM

Ya know what's pretty cool about this is we've all heard a lot of ridiculously stupid comments and misconceptions (ha ha) regarding multiples. And I think we may have finally found a winner!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#12 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 04:02 AM

Oh yeah, this one totally takes the cake!
#13 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 AM

Wheee. This one actually made me laugh out loud.
#14 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Yippie! Stupid comment FTW!

haha. I seriously didn't think this was possible. I'm glad that I'm not the crazy one.
#15 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 PM

Yep, that's a winner!

I did hear from a woman that her DZ twins had TTTS. I asked her how she knew they had TTTS, since they didn't share a placenta. She said because one boy was bigger than the other. Clearly, TTTS!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#16 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#17 of 24 Old 12-04-2008, 05:50 AM

Ok so YEAH she COULD have boy girl MZ (not DZ LOL!) but they are SOOOOOOO rare that only a few cases have ever been reported. Highly doubtful. Maybe she meant polar body twinning. TO give her the benefit of the doubt she is probably just confused about what the Dr said. As for placenta reading, is that like reading entrails, and if so didn't we stop doing that as a species like.... a thousand or two thousand years ago?

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#18 of 24 Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 AM

What can they tell about her reproductive future by reading the bumps on her babies' heads? Or on her own head?
#19 of 24 Old 12-04-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebloom View Post
Ok so YEAH she COULD have boy girl DZ but they are SOOOOOOO rare that only a few cases have ever been reported. Highly doubtful.

And I know you meant boy/girl MZ twins are sooooooo rare, but it was funny to read your actual typo in this thread about rampant misinformation! (Only a very few cases of DZ boy/girl twins ever reported... )
#20 of 24 Old 12-04-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#21 of 24 Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyC View Post
And I know you meant boy/girl MZ twins are sooooooo rare, but it was funny to read your actual typo in this thread about rampant misinformation! (Only a very few cases of DZ boy/girl twins ever reported... )
Duh. Wow I was really brain dead last night!

Wowie! There IS such a thing as Boy Girl DZ? Crazy! LOL!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#22 of 24 Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 AM

My mom has a cousin that has 2 sets of twins (both B/G). And the doc told her she'd only ever have twins. I always wondered how a doc could make that kind of statement? Obviously there was some crack over there too....LOL

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#23 of 24 Old 12-06-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
My mom has a cousin that has 2 sets of twins (both B/G). And the doc told her she'd only ever have twins. I always wondered how a doc could make that kind of statement? Obviously there was some crack over there too....LOL
I have a friend whose mom had two sets of DZ twins and was told the same thing, that she double ovulated every month. I *guess* it could be possible -- maybe the mom even felt ovulation on both sides every month?

But... they weren't MZ boy-girl twins! LOL
#24 of 24 Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Just because you ovulate two eggs every month doesn't mean both will fertilize! I just don't know how any doc could make that statement! Sounds like crazy talk to me.

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page