Had twins...hmmm kind of hard!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have just loved being a part of this mothering site!

We had our twins 11/29. 37 weeks and 5 days. Our boy, Corbin, was 8lbs 6oz and our girl, Carsen, was 7lbs 7oz. We have four other girls, as well. I had an emergency c-section two pregnancy's ago (prolapsed cord) VBAC'ed my last and was going for a VBAC with the twins. After pushing for about 45 minutes things went a little south (multiple things not the least of which was a worry about abruption) and ended with a c-section. I took that pretty hard, but we are all doing so well I just cannot dwell on that anymore. The NICU was waiting for the twins and the doctor in charge took less then 30 seconds to say that he did not need to do anything with them. I just feel so blessed that they did not have to go to NICU. I know that it is so needed in so many cases, but I was so hoping to be able to just have them with me. They are amazing nursers. I have not had any problems except a little sore getting back into heavy nursing, again. I will say that twins are harder then I imagined. I saw the help thread and I just do not know what I would do without help. They seem to have their days and nights mixed up and that is exhausting. I am also physically surprised at my limitations. It is so humbling to need help when you take so much pride in being a mom. I sort of feel like I should be doing more, but when I push it I regret it more than words.

Just wanted to share our news and hear from all you wonderful Moms about how we can do it and any ideas you have to make things easier......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 PM

Congrats on your twins! It sounds like you are doing wonderful. Most new twins moms say at the least the first 3 months are a blur. It seems to me like our first year was a blur and I don't even remember the first 3 months at all. It is hard. But it is also doable as I am sure many women will come along with testimony of survival. I think asking for help was the hardest part for me too. But I assure you, it is so worth it!! Congrats again!
#3 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations!!! Mine were also born at 37w5d but a wee bit smaller than yours. You grew them big... way to go!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#4 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 07:52 AM

Congratulations

My 5th and 6th were born beginning of October. I am upside down from lack of sleep! My babes were early - HOW did you carry all that weight Go mama go!

xx

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#5 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 AM

Congratulations on your little chunky babies!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#6 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 AM

Congratulations on your two new babes. I thought mine were big at 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 6 lbs. 11 oz! Mine at almost three months are finally getting their days and nights straightened around. Dr. gave me the advice to wake them up every 2 hours, but they would just go back to sleep. The best thing I think for them was to somehow go out during the day and then their biological clocks start to set themselves. Some days are better than others, but I get around 6 hours at least a day now with DH's help. Hope you're sleeping more soon.
#7 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 12:53 PM

Congatulations!!!!!!

Just give yourself some time! It took a long while before I felt like I was back up to full speed.
#8 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! Hooray for new babies! ::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
It took a long while before I felt like I was back up to full speed.
I still don't feel anywhere near full speed. Be gentle on yourself, mama, and take it day by day (and night by night)!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#9 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congratulations!

Great sizes - no NICU - breastfeeding - six children!...It sounds like you are doing wonderfully!
(I have no advice to offer...the first 12-18 months is a complete blur for me!)
#10 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sept2008twingirls View Post
Congratulations on your two new babes. I thought mine were big at 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 6 lbs. 11 oz!
WOW! I thought mine were big, both being over 6 lbs, too! You GO momma!!:

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#11 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 PM

Congrats on your new additions!!!!!

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#12 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 04:59 PM

Congratulations!:

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#13 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 06:21 PM

Congratulations on big, healthy and i am sure beautiful babies!

Don't be so hard on yourself - you are recovering from major surgery!

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#14 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 02:10 AM

Yeah, hard. Definitely has its' moments
I think on day 3 after the birth I dropped a clot the size of a grapefruit. I thought I was taking it easy, but I guess not. That got me to slow way down. That and the fear of a prolapsed uterus. Yikes! I had gotten through the pregnancy happy and healthy, had a great birth, and yet, I was a big believer in not doing much (although sustaining the lives of two beautiful babies is in and of itself plenty much!) I live in a Vietnamese neighborhood and have also used Chinese medicine for years, and in these cultures, I'm pretty sure that the mama's feet don't touch the ground for the first month, and I think they have to lay low for 6 months, or something. I'd go crazy, but it was good perspective for me. I love the idea of being supermom, but I just can't take on the exhaustion that goes with it
Congrats to you on your little ones. :
#15 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 01:30 PM

Copngrats on the twins! I am sorry that the birth did not go as planned. I had an unexpected c/s with my last set of twins too. Take it easy! Having twins and recovering from a c/s is twice as hard as just one or the other!

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#16 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM

C-sections suck! And my first 3 months were a definite blur. One of us was awake around the clock as both my girls suffered from colic badly and at 3 months took them to the doc to find out that they were lactose intolerant as well. I questioned my mothering abilities too and yet I already have a teen and have cared for children for 25+ years. Twins are quite the experience, but now that I've got it all sorted out, I could do it again!!:

Congrats on your new babies! Mine were 6 lbs each and I was HUGE, so second congrats on carrying them to a bigger birth weight than me.

~Patricia~, wife to D, mom to V:, mummy to S/C : , ::. Learning how to be a GREAT mom to my autistic twins and loving it!
#17 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 03:41 AM

Congratulations! My boys were over 7lbs each at 39 weeks. Way to go mama!! Mine are 16 months now. I swear for the first 4 months, I never got off the couch. There were days that I'd literally watch the clock and I didn't not get up for over 12 hours. My boys were attached to me 24/7 on my twins nursing pillow. I slept sitting up.

Having help is huge! My mom stayed with us for the first 8 weeks. Then she came over 4 days a week. And even now, after 16 months, she still comes over once or twice a week so that I can get a break, take a shower.. etc.

As for nursing.. the one thing that made it easier on me mentally.. I stopped switching sides with them for every feeding. It got so confusing trying to remember which twin fed on which side last. So instead of all that, I just switched every 24 hours. That made it so much easier. And I was never lopsided.

Keep up the great work!!
#18 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Congrats and take it easy! Hard to do when you've got other ones to take care of, but take care of yourself first! Glad they didn't need any NICU!!! Way to grow 'em!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page