What did your pos test look like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 12-15-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my second prenatal appointment last week and the baby was kicking the doppler like crazy. My midwife asked how long I had been feeling movement and I said at least a week for sure (and I think it was even before then). The assistant then said, "Oh maybe you have twins". Well, I sort of was freaking out on the inside (in a good way) and have been thinking about it since. I dismissed the twins b/c I was actually measuring small, but then I talked to a friend of mine who has twins and she said she always measured small or exact until around 20 weeks and then started measuring bigger. I was talking to my other friend who also has twins and she asked me about when I POS and what happened. I told her the postive line came up pretty quickly and it was really, really dark (twice as dark as the control line). I took two tests and they both looked the same. She then told me the same thing happened for her twin pregnancy. So what did your stick look like

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#2 of 47 Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 PM

I don't think mine was any different...and unlike many other people on this board who were suspecting twins we had NO IDEA and were in utter shock when we discovered twins at a 12 week ultrasound.

Best of luck for a happy and healthy pregnancy regardless

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#3 of 47 Old 12-15-2008, 06:53 PM

I didn't get a positive until 10 days after I should have started my period, and it was really faint. So, I think it's not an indicator at all.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#4 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 04:49 AM

Mine was SIGNIFICANTLY darker for sure. I didnt think it was twins at the time but when we found out.....it made sense to me. Could be!!!

Tassy
DS 7 DD 3 twin DDs 2

Tassy mom to DS(13), DD(8), and twin DDs (7)  homeschool.gif

#5 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 11:29 AM

it looked like a plus sign in the "pregnant or not" box.

Odd question.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#6 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 11:47 AM

hcg levels can be all over the place in any type of pregnancy. The ranges for "normal" are just so huge. I don't know, my positive test looked about the same with DS1 and with the twins. Anyway, different brands of tests and different batches within the same brand have different sensitivities, so I really doubt the darkness of the test line can give you much info. Sorry.
#7 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
it looked like a plus sign in the "pregnant or not" box.

Odd question.
Obviously, your test doesn't apply to the question.

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#8 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM

Just for fun...

You might enjoy this website: www.peeonastick.com

Here are pictures of my pregnancy tests (we are still not sure if it is a singleton or twins). I got a negative test at 8 dpo and then an positive at 10 dpo.
#9 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumom2boyz View Post
Obviously, your test doesn't apply to the question.
The question was, So what did your stick look like?

I answered the question.

My apologies if my answer is not what you want to hear, but as a mom of twins, I find it to be a strange question, not unlike, "In what sexual position did you conceive your twins?"

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#10 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The question was, So what did your stick look like?

I answered the question.

My apologies if my answer is not what you want to hear, but as a mom of twins, I find it to be a strange question, not unlike, "In what sexual position did you conceive your twins?"
Seriously, you find those questions to be the same???? The pp's seem to think the test results may or may not be relevant in indicating a twin or singleton pregnancy. If you thought it was odd to ask, then maybe you shouldn't have answered. And I guess I should have clarified. I was not looking for the + or - type tests, but rather those that would indicate a line for pregnancy or nothing if negative (i.e. first response). And, fwiw, my friend who has twins asked me the question. I never even thought twice about it before she brought it up (as I stated in my original post).

#11 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Seriously, you find those questions to be the same????
I find both questions to be strange and having nothing to do with the price of tea at Kroger.

Quote:
The pp's seem to think the test results may or may not be relevant in indicating a twin or singleton pregnancy.
Exactly. Its the same as the other 8234523 questions on this board about "did you have morning sickness early?" "were you showing early?" "did you have xyz?" Some women do, some don't. The only way to know for sure if you're having twins is to have an u/s.

Quote:
If you thought it was odd to ask, then maybe you shouldn't have answered.
Some people answered yes, some answered no; I figured you might need a "control" answer.

treehugger.gif Erika
#12 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

True, but so far, the women I have talked to who have had results the same as mine ended up with twin pregnancies. NO ONE has said, yes the line was super dark, but I only had/have a singleton. So maybe it is quite relevant and the only way to find out is to ask. That is, after all, how we learn.

#13 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 PM

Hcg levels at the beginning of pregnancy are *not* a true indicator for whether or not you're carrying twins, so aside from that little tidbit, there really isn't anything to learn from this question aside from a "just for fun" type of polling. My line wasn't any more pronounced than in any other (singleton) pregnancy. I don't remember it being especially dark at all.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#14 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
Hcg levels at the beginning of pregnancy are *not* a true indicator for whether or not you're carrying twins, so aside from that little tidbit, there really isn't anything to learn from this question aside from a "just for fun" type of polling. My line wasn't any more pronounced than in any other (singleton) pregnancy. I don't remember it being especially dark at all.
So if I understand you correctly, you can have twins, but not have really, really high Hcg levels in the beginning? But is it also possible to have really high levels in the beginning and have twins (but maybe one does not survive by the time you would have a "routine" ultrasound) therefore leading women to believe they were never pregnant with twins at all to begin with? Or have really high levels and be pregnant with twins (as indicated by an u/s later in the pregnancy)?

I understand when women say their levels were low then dramatically went up (doubled, etc) as they progressed in the pregnancy. Just was curious to hear about more who had high levels to begin with. (this is all based on the assumption that a significantly darker line indicates higher levels of hcg)

I hope I am making sense!

#15 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:38 PM

You got it. For the little bit it's worth--the line with both of my pregnancies was about the same, but I tested later, from what I recall, with the twin pregnancy--so I would think it may have been a bit lighter than the singleton had I tested at the same time.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#16 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:39 PM

A high Hcg could be present with twins, no twins, or yes - I suppose a twin that doesn't survive and is never detected. It really doesn't have a definitive bearing at this point from what I've read.

#17 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I find both questions to be strange and having nothing to do with the price of tea at Kroger.
Are you boycotting China or something? First dairy and now tea? Did I miss something?

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#18 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:43 PM

Oh, and since different HPT's detect different minimum levels of hCG in the urine and user error can play a role in detection, it would be really hard to take a look at who has a darker or lighter line and what that means unless we all were using the exact same test and doing it at the same time past LMP or ovulation as well as having done those same exact things with the singleton pregnancies. This is a quote from another website which kind of sums up what I'm talking about:

Quote:
Home pregnancy tests (HPTs) are very accurate. Most brands of HPTs say they are 97% to 99% accurate, but this can vary with actual use. Each brand varies in how sensitive it is in picking up the pregnancy hormone hCG. If a test is not done correctly, it will be less accurate. And, always check the package to make sure it is not past its expiration date - if it is, it will not be accurate. Most brands of HPTs tell users to do the test again in a few days, no matter what the results.

If you use an HPT too early in your pregnancy, you may not have enough of the pregnancy hormone hCG in your urine to have a positive test result. Most HPTs will be accurate if you test yourself around the time your period is due (about 2 weeks after you ovulate, or release an egg from your ovary). You can get a negative test result if you are not pregnant or if you ovulated later than you thought you did. You may also have problems with the pregnancy, which affects the amount of hCG you have in your urine.

#19 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:44 PM

To answer the OP, I have no recollection of the shade of the line, only that it was evident enough for me to think, "Oh, *%&$!#%^#*@#@@&^!, I'm pregnant!" Sorry, not much help.

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#20 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:45 PM

I had fairly high HCG levels (not high for twins, but higher than average singletons) but my pee sticks were always pretty darn light (and I obsessively studied these, let me tell you!) I did, though, get a first positive pretty early (10dpo), probably as a result of the twins.

As for the measuring issue: at 14 weeks, I was only measuring 2 weeks ahead. Now, at 17 weeks I'm measuring 4 weeks ahead (both based on pretty rough measurements)

Also, not feeling anything yet-- and my doctor said that twin moms don't feel movement any earlier than non-twin moms, and in fact sometimes later-- it's more based on the indiviudal size of the babies and the strength of their bones, when you start to feel kicks, than the overall size of the two combined.
#21 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
Oh, and since different HPT's detect different minimum levels of hCG in the urine and user error can play a role in detection, it would be really hard to take a look at who has a darker or lighter line and what that means unless we all were using the exact same test and doing it at the same time past LMP or ovulation as well as having done those same exact things with the singleton pregnancies.
Good point!

#22 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamolly1 View Post
Also, not feeling anything yet-- and my doctor said that twin moms don't feel movement any earlier than non-twin moms, and in fact sometimes later-- it's more based on the indiviudal size of the babies and the strength of their bones, when you start to feel kicks, than the overall size of the two combined.
I realize doctors have varying opinions on this. I was just basing it off of my friends' experience and both of them felt fetal movement earlier with their twins than with their singletons (which also seems to be the case with me, not saying it is twins, just feeling the baby MUCH earlier than I usually do).

#23 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 02:30 PM

So, do you think you'll get an ultrasound to find out for sure?
#24 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 PM

With my twins, I didn't feel movement til way later than I did with my singleton pregnancies.

treehugger.gif Erika
#25 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 04:01 PM

My pregnancy test with the twins was super-dark, but more than that, I remember that the line appeared almost instantly. You know how usually it takes a minute or so to slowly appear. With the twins, the line appeared and darkened really quickly. I remember remarking, "wow, I'm really pregnant." Didn't know how true that was until months later!

But, like others said, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Some things in my pregnancies shouted "twins!" and some shouted "singleton!" and it wasn't until the ultrasound (at 20 weeks) that I found out. I'm glad I was lying down, too!
#26 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
True, but so far, the women I have talked to who have had results the same as mine ended up with twin pregnancies. NO ONE has said, yes the line was super dark, but I only had/have a singleton. So maybe it is quite relevant and the only way to find out is to ask. That is, after all, how we learn.
Mine was quite dark and early (like 5 or more days before AF was due) this pregnancy. My first ever early positive. M/W wouldn't rule out twins due to other issues (large fundus and extreme m/s).

It's only one, though.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#27 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 05:28 PM

Mine was so light that I at first sighed in relief (wasn't quite ready for a pregnancy let alone a twin one!) and just as I was about to throw it out I glanced again and saw it, but it was so light I got a second test and that one was about the same.
#28 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamolly1 View Post
So, do you think you'll get an ultrasound to find out for sure?
Only if my MW thinks it is necessary. It would be nice to satisfy my curiousity, but it is still early in the pregnancy. So we will see! I will definitely keep y'all posted if it turns out to be twins!

Thanks, everyone, for your responses!

#29 of 47 Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Of course you are not going to get an answer of "my line was super dark but I only had a singleton" because you are asking on a multiples board. Ask the same question on the regular board and you will get a ton of women who had really dark lines and only had one baby. The darkness of the line is dependent on your hcg level. You can have high hcg levels with one baby. With my second daughter I got a very visible + at 8dpo and really dark by 12dpo and I only had one baby.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#30 of 47 Old 12-17-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
NO ONE has said, yes the line was super dark, but I only had/have a singleton.
Well, now they have.

I have a set of twins and two singletons.

With my twin pg, my + tests were indeed +, but not overly dark or impressive in any way. First beta hcg was 114.

With my last singleton pg, my + test was much, much, much darker. First beta hcg was 26.

Obviously, having a lightish line with a beta of 114 and a super dark line with a beta of 26 makes no sense, but there it is. Same brand, though obviously several years apart.

I think the replies to questions like this are to be expected on a multiples board. It gets rather, um, not sure what the word is...to answer what do indeed seem to be strange questions about the possibility of twins. If you are truly curious, have an u/s. No amount of anecdotal evidence about pregnancy test lines, morning sickness severity, how soon you start showing, when you feel movement, etc etc etc is going to answer the question of how many babies are in there accurately, so it starts to seem a bit silly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page