any tips for conceiving twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my husband and i would really love to have twins one day, besides ART, are there any other ideas about increasing your chances of conceiving multiples on your own we could try?
#2 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 05:51 PM

Other than fertility treatments/ART (or retroactively changing your genetic family history, LOL) I don't think there's anything you can do to increase the chance of twins
#3 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 05:54 PM

no offence intended, but I so don't understand this...people actually *want* twins?

hmm...eat a lot of yams? African yams, not sweet potatoes. There's some idea that that increases twinning rates in some tribes...but I forget, it may be discounted.
um, can't think of anything else, except to be careful what you wish for ;-)
#4 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 06:34 PM

I really can't help you, but here are some fun anecdotes:

I've heard of people conceiving twins after having been on birth control pills for a long time- something about your ovaries having a celebratory release party.

In my case, my husband went out of the country for a month, my body waited 3 weeks beyond normal ovulation time to cycle as a coming home gift to DH, and then our spunky little zygote split into two. So I guess you could send your DH out of the country for a while (could be worth it, twins or not ).

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#5 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_tigress View Post
no offence intended, but I so don't understand this...people actually *want* twins?

hmm...eat a lot of yams? African yams, not sweet potatoes. There's some idea that that increases twinning rates in some tribes...but I forget, it may be discounted.

:

you could try praying too: see thread on praying for twins!!! but do make sure you're VERY aware of above point in bold

gah, actually in a good moment i feel like i could have another two sets; but that is definitely NOT A PRAYER :

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#6 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM

you and dh could come take a shower at my house, worked for us
#7 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM

Try sex. It worked for me!

These threads

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#8 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 PM

I'm fairly sure that Breckenridge, CO has extra fertility/zygote-splittin' vibes goin' on, too!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#9 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 07:32 PM

We conceived ours the first cycle postpartum after I'd been nursing. Month 8. Seems my ovaries got a little over zealous!
#10 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
Try sex. It worked for me!

These threads
it's beause you've seen 6 years worth of them

#11 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 08:03 PM

Might I suggest what worked for me:

First, be over 30. I'm old.

Second, take lots of folic acid.

Third, have a bunch of older kids to make you insane when you're preggo with twins, and to totally take advantage of your sleep-deprived condition once you are dealing with two newborns.

And finally, careful what you wish for! It's usually only moms of singletons or women who don't have children yet who wish for twins, without having ANY clue what they're getting into!!

Good luck!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#12 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 08:28 PM

Heh.

I know quite a few moms like me who conceived twins in close spacing while still exclusively nursing their older child. I've met even more through here, for me to think that close spacing doesn't have SOME kind of impact.
#13 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 08:29 PM

I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily sign on to parent multiples. Seriously. I love my guys, of course I do, but being pregnant with multiples is so hard on your body, there are so many more risks for the babies themselves, and geez, having two newborns at once is ROUGH.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#14 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 PM

I do think there's "something" about multiples that appeals to people's fantasies/dreams.

Outing myself as a gamer geek here, but when I did online roleplaying it seemed like twins were popping out EVERYWHERE (normally boy/girl...I mean, why decide on a gender when you can have two?). When I was a girl, I knew lots of people who already picked out their kids names (all rhyming, or starting with the same letter or somesuch) and most of those friends also had tons of twins names just in case.

You practically can't spit without hitting a twin in fantasy novels, they're in a lot of folklore, pop TV, ect. A lot of people are intrigued by the "psychic aspects", there's even a astrological sign with twins in it (and this from a time when twins were not necessarily seen as great omens!).

I do think that to many people there's that aspect (subconscious or overt) to the twin thing. And then there really are people who honestly do think that 'getting it over with all at once' is easiest. I have had friends tell me that, and they aren't stupid or thoughtless, they just...have no point of reference.

Of course, I also know one twin mom who really would like multiples again. She knows I think she's a little though, but she'd do great.
#15 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 PM

Well, not that I'd advise this method, but apparently getting pregnant the cycle after a miscarriage increases your odds of multiples. Although no one told us until after the fact.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#16 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 PM

We conceived ours the first cycle postpartum after I'd been nursing. Month 8. Seems my ovaries got a little over zealous!
YIKES!!! My girls are hitting 8 months on the 26th. I'm never having sex again!!!!!! (just kidding, but not too far fetched as there ain't MUCH going on here )
Okay, what I've heard (who knows if this is true), but a diet rich in carbs and a previous miscarriage. Who would want that?? Otherwise, do something silly like me and write in your journal that you want 3 kids (when you have one), and that you know that "will never happen" as your DH was hardly going to go for a second, let alone a third.........
#17 of 34 Old 12-16-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
Well, not that I'd advise this method, but apparently getting pregnant the cycle after a miscarriage increases your odds of multiples. Although no one told us until after the fact.
This is what happened to me too..
#18 of 34 Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I once read that being under and very significant stress could cause MZ twinning. Once I was pregnant with MZ twins, I could no longer find a source for this information.

But that was the case for me! Maybe it played a role? Pretty extreme measure to go to, though! LOL

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#19 of 34 Old 12-17-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynnsmom View Post
This is what happened to me too..
yep, me too, but I did wonder about the folic acid, as I'd been taking that for the previous baby who didn't make it.

#20 of 34 Old 12-17-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily sign on to parent multiples. Seriously. I love my guys, of course I do, but being pregnant with multiples is so hard on your body, there are so many more risks for the babies themselves, and geez, having two newborns at once is ROUGH.
yeah, that! when they twins were babies and random strangers would gush over them and say how much they wanted twins dh and i always said "no, you don't." i wouldn't trade them for the world, of course, and i positively love watching their relationship grow and change, but yeah....not easy.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#21 of 34 Old 12-17-2008, 02:28 PM

My best friend got so sick of this question she'd just start telling people to have sex standing up.

I want twins, but only because I'm only "allowed" to have one more kid. But I want 2. So if I had twins I'd win!
#22 of 34 Old 12-17-2008, 02:43 PM

This thread is cracking me up! :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#23 of 34 Old 12-17-2008, 06:44 PM

According to my Dr., sometimes weaning of an older child, stress, older (and no I"M not OLD!), AA, moms who have more children, mults run in the family. Otherwise I think just luck! DH suggests doing it twice in one night As a funny, we only DTD 3 times the whole month we got PG w/ the boys. The day I found out I went out to find him and show him the US pics. We were on one side of a truck talking and he says "Just that one time and we got twins, we only had s*x 3 times all month" and low and behold MIL had come out to find us and the US pics, she was on the other side of the truck! I don't know if she heard or not, but I highly suspect she did.
#24 of 34 Old 12-17-2008, 06:55 PM

You guys are funny and I this thread (as well as this forum).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#25 of 34 Old 12-17-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Thinker View Post
According to my Dr., sometimes weaning of an older child, stress, older (and no I"M not OLD!), AA, moms who have more children, mults run in the family.
AA? What's that?
You mean the meetings I'll be going to after I get through this first year with twins? :

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#26 of 34 Old 12-17-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy2 View Post
AA? What's that?
You mean the meetings I'll be going to after I get through this first year with twins? :
Being African American, I believe is what was meant.
I believe the specific African group "in question" is Nigerian.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#27 of 34 Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
yep, me too, but I did wonder about the folic acid, as I'd been taking that for the previous baby who didn't make it.
I didn't think about that. I was still taking folic acid as well.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#28 of 34 Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 AM

Jumping in because I saw this on the main page -
I used to want twins - then I had Riley and wow. My hat is off to you twin moms. Seriously - great job!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#29 of 34 Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 AM

I probably have a pretty good chance of having twins... My mom is a twin and she has another set of twin sisters (my mom and her twin are MZ, other sisters are DZ).

I would definitely be super excited if I were to get pregnant with twins but I'd also be quite a bit afraid as well. My grandma managed two sets of twins plus 7 other kids though, so I'm sure I could manage.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#30 of 34 Old 12-18-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_tigress View Post
no offence intended, but I so don't understand this...people actually *want* twins? .....
ITA!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page