Yet Another Possibly Twins Post UPDATE post #34 w/ us video - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Kate,
Thank you for delurking to share your experience. Was the other sac very small also, or just empty? I think I might have been more concerned by a larger sac that was without a visible embryo, than a fully scaled-down view. I do think that sometimes the general rule of thumb for development does not hold for multiple pregnancies, since one of the babies who is evidently on track holds on to the pregnancy for the others. Then the small ones have a chance to catch up, even ones that get added a bit later or start off slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 10:17 PM

This sounds so much like what happened with us.
At five weeks we saw two sacs.
The one sac had a yolk sac and was perfectly shaped but the other was weird and small and you couldn’t see anything in it. I was told it could go either way.

At a follow up a week later, we couldn't see anything in the good sac anymore, and as for the second sac, it was still there but you could hardly see it, and it looked like it was blending in with the background, reabsorbing/vanishing, whatever. I was told I had a vanishing twin, and to come back the next week for a follow up to be sure it was being reabsorbed.

At that third ultrasound we saw to perfect babies with heartbeats.

It was a huge emotional rollercoaster!

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
Old 01-13-2009, 12:05 AM

I'm delurking to share my story with you

With my second son (my third pregnancy, I had a miscarriage between the two) I was showing awfully early. I convinced the dr to do a quick ultrasound at my 10 week appt because of how early I wsa showing, and also a strong family history of twins. By my dates, I was 10 weeks exactly.

First thing we saw one obvious baby, plus what looked like an yolk sac. He saw that and said "oh honey, you're not 10 weeks, you're more like 6. The yolk sac disappears somewhere aroudn week 6 when the placenta develops." I told him that I had taken my pregnancy test 6 weeks ago, so I most definitely was at least 10 weeks. So he measured the baby, and it measured a perfect 10 weeks (actually, 10 weeks 3 days). So he shrugged it off as a yolk sac that stayed longer. I specifically asked if it could be a twin, he said there's probably no way to know, and that he'd check again next month and see what was there then.

I went home and started researching twins of different gestational ages, thinking maybe I had ovulated a month later as well, and had a twin at 10 weeks and one at 6 weeks. I found very little information on it, but found lots about vanishing twin.

One month later a second ultrasound showed one healthy baby, no sign of the yolk sac, and the pregnancy continued uneventfully. At birth, the placenta had a "spot" on it that the dr found curious, but he wouldn't speculate what it was. I think it may have been where the twin reabsorbed. Interestingly, my son was born with a chromosomal deletion, and it is not inherited (both my husband and myself were tested after he received his diagnosis) and I've always wondered whether there's any chance it's connected...I haven't found any information to support that though.

So...there you go. Mine was much less suspicious than your's, but I sitll wonder. However, there are many days when I look at Connor and think "thank goodness you're not a twin!!!"

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hi again all,
Thank you for sharing with me your experiences. My Dh recorded the critical part of the ultrasound on his phone. I didn't know he did this. It is SO helpful to have. In actuality the second sac is probably just as long as the first, it's just harder to see clearly and is more flattened. The doctor even saw a fetal pole within it, but didn't stop to measure it or check for a heartbeat - which is really pissing me off now that I look back on it. She didn't print out a photo of him/her for us to take home either She was assuming due to the shape of the sac that it was reabsorbing and non-viable. She is a family doctor and very sweet, but her equipment is a little dated (we couldn't do the check where they visualize the blood flow, for example), and she's not an expert. I'm going to request tomorrow morning to be sent to the imaging lab to be checked out there. I think there may just be hope for baby B after all! Here is the video if you'd like to see (sorry it's so small):

http://bellybeautifulhenna.com/US1_Jan_2009.3g2
Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 AM

If I remember correctly (the picture is at someone else's house with my scrapbooking), the "empty" sac was a little smaller, but not much. And, looking back at the pictures now, I see a shape that I convince myself is the embryo, but it ceratinly wasn't clear to me or the doctor at the time.

I tell the story of my first trimester with a lot of laughs now, but it was emotionally roiling to live through. My thoughts are with you.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

So I had an inspired thought this morning - I remembered the distinct ovary sensations back and forth from both sides all day on 6dpo and 13dpo and not again . . . what if those sensations were in response to two separate implantations? If Baby A implanted on the very early side and then Baby B stopped for a coffee or something and by the time (s)he got there (s)he had to work around Baby A to find a spot, delaying him/her even further. This would also explain the blood work, which was taken on 13dpo and 15dpo, and showed a high-ish number initially and then a *really* high number the second time. If Baby B had just landed around the time of the first draw there would be only a little contributing hCG from her/him, then by the second draw (s)he would have added quite a bit to the total amount.

This would make Baby A 6.5 weeks and Baby B 5.5 weeks - barely visible for heartbeat with a smaller sac being crowded out by Baby A. I just called the FP office to request to be sent to the imaging lab to get the full fancy ultrasound done hopefully Friday when Baby A is 7 weeks and Baby B 6 weeks. I feel like they are both okay as of now, not that I know if they will both hang in there, but that they are both alright.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM

Henna: if you think that baby B will be 6 weeks on Friday, then I'd try to do the u/s next week at the earliest, not this week. Because 6 weeks is an inbetween time-- in healthy pregnancies, some people will see a heartbeat, but some won't. But by the 7th week the heartbeat should most definitely be seen in most cases (especially on good ultrasounds). That way you won't have to second guess an ambiguous result on Friday. Good luck!!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM

I know it's frustrating, I felt double ovulation and by 7 weeks was showing enough for people to put their hands on my belly! I requested and US at 8 weeks, but my OB's office said that unless there is reason (bleeding, ect.) they do not do them this early, and one of the reasons was b/c so much can happen the first trimester. By 13 weeks I was sure I was PG w/ twins, I looked 20 weeks, uterus to belly-button, ect., so I told the nurse I needed an US. She agreed to 'look' for the HB w/ the doppler, and found one the second she put it on my belly, an inch below my BB She sent me for an US nad it was confirmed that I was right! From the day I got a + test, I had wondered about twins, I distinctly remember ovulating on one side, then ovulating again on the other side the next day. I even told DH "Gee, it feels like I am ovulating again, but my CM dried up, so I don't know what it is? Hope it's not a twin!" When I got the + test, I said "Hope it's not twins." By 7 weeks my uterus was coming out of my pelvis, you could palpate it, it was about the size of a small volleyball, and it was visable on the outside (I guess I used to be slim ). RIght now you are in a waiting game, and no tests are going to change the outcome. I know you want to KNOW what is going on, but right now it's just not possible. I encourage you to stop worrying about it, and don't go for another scan right now, give it some time. I think the end of the first trimester is a fine time to find out, you can change your diet if needed, and you still have plenty of time to plan if it is twins. Best of luck to you!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your perspective and caring well-wishes. I know I need to chill out - for my sake and the babies'. I'm getting there, but the last 24 hours have been quite a ride. I lost all hope for Baby B after the ultrasound and am now coming back out of that . . . part of my desire to have another scan is to make peace with Baby B's fate and say goodbye if that's what's necessary. Yesterday I went from doubting my inner voice and body messages to accepting the reality of what I heard. That was a big step! If we just wait it out and find out in another month, he/she could be gone. I feel like Baby B was shrugged off and dismissed at the ultrasound and even though it may be so that he/she is not doing well and will leave, I want to see him/her once more for that peace, and to help me prepare for what is to come. I just don't have it in me to simply let it be yet. Everyone has different comfort levels that fall at different places, and mine is in the gray between hyper-monitoring/worry and complete Zen mother earth goddess. I am a UC homebirthing momma, after all, so I'm not THAT medically oriented, but I do appreciate the information I can gain from conventional medicine and how it helps my spiritual process. I do admire those women who can just let it go, but I have compassion for the nutso parts of me that make me who I am. And I know I need to be hand-held a bit through this part (even though I don't through birthing). I'm sure it has a lot to do with my background from medical school and learning human development from the perspective of all that can go wrong, and my experience with my first pregnancy where my child died early on and my body did not tell me.

It's just a hard time for me, always is, and I'm trying to take it one breath at a time. Perhaps this is the hardest part of the birthing process for me
Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 AM

A big congrats to you! How exciting! Superfecundation is very common and if baby b is only 5.5 weeks then the sac would be appropriately small. My DSDs were 2 weeks apart in the womb and measured as such for the entire pregnancy. Totally normal. It's far too soon to assume baby b's fate at this point for certain. I hope your next scan goes better and you get some happy answers!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hi fyrebloom, thank you for your perspective and hope. That means a lot. So I finally got through to someone helpful about scheduling my detailed ultrasound and it's all set for tomorrow afternoon! My stomach has been turned inside out in anticipation and I don't even really know if I want to know now. But of course I do. I'm just nervous for what we will see. And, well, I have morning sickness too!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:20 PM

Any news?

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Baby B is dead. Almost completely reabsorbed now.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:34 PM

I'm so sorry,

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:01 PM

Hugs to you. Thank you for letting us know.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 PM

I'm sorry, Hennalady. I hope baby A brings you much joy and happiness, though.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:42 AM

I am thinking of you and hoping that the rest of your pregnancy carries on uneventfully.

May you find peace with your loss.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
Old 01-18-2009, 01:21 AM

Thinking of you.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:24 AM

Aw, I'm sorry for the loss of your baby.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
Old 01-18-2009, 02:54 AM

I've been lurking and watching this thread even though I don't "belong" in this forum.
I'm sorry for your loss, Hennalady.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 AM

I have been lurking on this thread since the beginning and thinking of you the past couple of days. I am so sorry for your loss. I am wishing for you healing and joy in the rest of your pregnancy.

Jehan

User Tag List